Making My Queen More Comfortable During Weaning

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So unfortunately being a new mom is not all its cracked up to be for my dear Sasha. She basically gave herself little stress ulcers on her upper lip and they got a little infected. When we took the kittens for their six week checkup, we took her in as well to get some antibiotics.

The antibiotics mean she can't nurse, since the medicine can be passed through the milk and cause cartilage issues with the kittens. So we have to keep her separate from the kittens for the two weeks she'll be on the meds.

Its nearing the end of the first week and poor Sasha is pretty miserable. She's stopped trying to get into the kitten room, but her teats are very swollen. No redness or leakage, just a lot of built up milk.

She's finally begun allowing me to apply cool packs to her tummy, but is there anything else I can do to try and make sure shes comfortable?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just food and extra love. The packs should help dry up the milk and ease her discomfort. Oh and as well getting her spayed once the milk dries up so she doesnt have to go through this ordeal again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet can give you medicine to dry her up. If he or she told you not to let the kittens nurse, they should have given you meds. I’ll also add that plenty of kittens nurse while their moms are on antibiotics. Which one did they prescribe?

Additionally, warm compresses or heat packs will give her more relief than cold ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet can give you medicine to dry her up. If he or she told you not to let the kittens nurse, they should have given you meds. I’ll also add that plenty of kittens nurse while their moms are on antibiotics. Which one did they prescribe?

Additionally, warm compresses or heat packs will give her more relief than cold ones.
She's taking Veraflox, and we didnt get any meds to stop milk production, just a warning not to let her nurse. They also told us to use cold compresses as warm would cause milk production to continue.