Making fish broth?

lvnoah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I hope this is in the right forum.  So I have a cat with mega colon who needs to get more fluids.  It turns out he loves these broth packets by Fancy Feast.  I use it as a treat/snack.  Unfortunately, a 1.4 oz. packet costs $1.00 or more. 

The ingredients for one of the flavors are: Fish Broth, Salmon, Fish Extract, Whitefish, Milk, Modified Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch, Wheat Starch, Added Color, Sugar, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Vegetable Oil, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Vitamin E Supplement, Egg Whites, Spice, and Coloring. B-6559

So it seems to me that it's basically just fish broth with little chunks of fish in it.  Plus, a lot of other crap he doesn't need.  Is there a way I can make this at home without the junk in it?  Does anyone here make fish broth?  Can you buy just fish broth that is safe for cats?  Is this a terrible idea or unhealthy? I couldn't find any threads on it.

Thanks!

Natalie

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake

This is a great article that offers one of the solutions you're talking about.  Probably cheaper and better for kitty to make at home too!  I don't see why you can't do it with practically any meat that kitty likes.  You can take the ice cubes and put them in a baggie and leave them in the freezer as frozen nuggets and just thaw what you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lvnoah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! 
  The article gave me some good ideas and the last bullet point is exactly the information I was looking for.  Now I just have to see if I can find canned fish without salt and other yucky stuff.