Making An All-beef Or All- Pork Cat Food

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am needing a little help. I am not looking to mix any poultry in this food. I am wanting to make an all beef or all pork protein for my cat Mouse as buying I and Love and You is getting very expensive as they are now becoming a hard to locate brand in stores around me. My cat Mouse is allergic to poultry and fish. She likes rabbit but that's a bit expensive too. I've bought pork loins and also additional bacon for extra fat. I am trying to find a bone or calcium source for it. That is not poultry based. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

I am possibly going to end up using haretoday and using their pre ground rabbit mixture but would like to do a variety in beef like that. Could I use rabbit organs/bones in the beef?

I've made raw food in the past on Dr. Lisa Piersons' recipe but using chicken. Now with making this out of beef or pork, it's a bit harder.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can definitely make an all-beef or all-pork food. I typically mix proteins when I make food from Hare Today, but that's just for convenience and because my cats don't have any allergies. Hare Today has a ground beef/organ/tripe/bone mix that you could use as well as a venison/beef blend. I typically use the ground rabbit organs to get the ratios right, as they're highest in actual secreting organ content (heart/gizzard count as muscle meat). They also have beef liver and beef kidney if you didn't want to have rabbit in the mix.

Really, the way to think about it is you need 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% secreting organ. You can use whatever meats you want to get to those percentages, whether it's beef, pork, or something more exotic. For example, I've made a miscellaneous mix (I was trying to use up leftover meat) with ground duck with bone, boneless rabbit and turkey to dilute out the extra bone content, added some chicken hearts for more diluting, and finished up with rabbit organs and beef kidney to get the organ ratio right.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hare Today is a great option. I buy their pork, my cats did not do well with beef. I always by a few lbs of ground rabbit organs because their other organ grinds contain liver and heart and gizzard,I agree with Ardina that having a secreting organ is important.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You can mix and match! When I make my cat's food, I mix in chunked chicken to either pork, chicken, or turkey grinds and then use beef kidney to get the meat/bone/secreting organ (hare-today has 5% liver in all grinds) ratio right.