Making a move easier

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Persian Cats that get a bit freaked out with major change. Next week I'll be moving into a different apartment and want to know if you have some tips for making the move a little less stressful especially in regards to their litter boxes. I'm moving into the same apartment building, just a lower level. So the layout will be almost identical. But I have a feeling they are going to notice anyway and I want to avoid confusion and potential accidents. They've never had litter box issues but I don't want them to start! Well, I take that back. When I first got Maxx he was frightened to death. To the point I was wondering if I did the right thing in adopting him. He was like a cat from pet cemetery! He peed on a bag of clothes the first day and that was the last time he's had any accidents. The only time Peaches makes a mistake (and it's probably not a mistake to her) is when I haven't scooped her litter box in a day or two and then she'll poop in the bathtub.
But that's my own fault!

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes.
When you are ready to move downstairs, make sure that they have a room that is completely set up for them. Have everything they are used to in the room (including feeding stations, comfortable places to sleep, cat trees, toys, etc) and have a couple of extra cat boxes. Also, I recommend plugging in a Comfort Zone diffuser, may take the edge off their stress. They should remain in that room til they are feeling secure and safe, and definitely till all of the noise and chaos of moving has died down. Make sure to spend lots of time with them in their room. You may want to put a radio or other music system in their room that plays soft music.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC