Make-up

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently bought some new lipsticks and showed the lady doctor that I work with.

The thing is that I rarely wear make-up to work. I just can't be bothered in the morning. I'd rather spend the extra few minutes sleeping.  LOL

Anyway, she loved the colours, especially the red one in the middle.  So early in the week she made me promise to wear make-up today.  I did, along with the red lipstick.

Everyone kept commenting on my make-up, which I guess was especially noticeable because I also got my hair cut and coloured a coppery red on Wednesday.

She said to me "You look so pretty! You should wear make-up all the time!"  To which I replied, "But then you wouldn't fawn on me like you do when I do wear it, it would be just another day! And I like being fawned over!"  LOL   I was kidding of course, and she knows it.

She also knows why I don't wear it everyday: I can't stand how it feels on my face, especially eye make-up.

I'm so in love with all of those lipsticks.  They aren't available in Canada, so I had to go to eBay to get them sent from the USA.  I bought 2 of the red, 1 violet, 1 dark peach, 1 light peach, and 2 of the bronze.

She wants me to see if I can find her one of the dark peach ones, but I looked and don't see anymore at this time.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She also knows why I don't wear it everyday: I can't stand how it feels on my face, especially eye make-up.
I tried on my mom's make-up as a kid. I looked silly, and I kept "eating" the lipstick which just tasted like licking asphalt.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the violet!  I don't wear lipstick often though.  My upper lip is so small it just draws attention to it.  it's like it almost disappears half way to the corners of my mouth.
  I don't even wear eye makeup as much as I used to.  I do put it on any time I'm going out of the house; but if I'm staying home all day I'll skip it.  It runs into my eyes (thanks to the family oily skin I inherited!) and that BURNS!  Even when I do wear it: I take it off around dinner time.  I just feel more put together when I'm wearing a bit.  No foundation or anything like that.  That just always makes my skin break out more.  I save that for things like family pictures.

@ Cory...  When I was in middle school I had a lip gloss that tasted like watermelon.  It was awesome!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I also don't wear makeup because I can feel it on my face and hate how it feels. I wonder how many people feel that way? Whenever I say that in real life, people act like I'm nuts.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't wear make-up either. I don't have time in the morning to deal with it.....it's all I can do to deal with my hair as it is. I walk during lunch and well, that just gets ugly, especially in the summer when we have the high humidity and the heat. I'm just not going there. If it's a special occasion or something like that, I'll take the time. But otherwise, no.

I think part of the problem is that I just never really bothered with it. My sister went to modeling school and she always looked her very best. She knew how to get the look she needed and in the minimum amount of time. I never seemed to have time. I worked in a factory, a very warm factory and my t-shirt was always soaked....can you imagine how long make-up would last in a place like that? I just never bothered.

That being said, however, I don't go outside without moisturizer on my face and neck. With a good sunscreen.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't want to even see me first thing in the morning. I do my makeup just about every day. I use a Mary Kay set that is the moisturizer,; day and night creams, eye cream, etc. They I use a tiny bit of eye shadow, neutral colors usually, brow powder or pencil, touch of blush and lipstick. Sometimes when I want a really finished look, I use mascara. My lipsticks are mostly neutrals or pinks. Most folks never see me without it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My GF told me one time that when she was a child and would visit one of her aunts, she couldn't get out of bed until her aunt was up and around. Her aunt refused to be seen without her make-up; she had the be the first one up, so that she could put her "face" on.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use some makeup - makes me feel better and more alive. A bit a blusher is great. I used to do the eyeliner every day but haven't used it in a while. Lipstick just adds more life. Can't be without at least a bit of color.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always worn make-up and made time for it when I was working.  It was just part of my ritual in the morning.  Now that I'm retired I wear it when going out and  put on a little when Russ is here.  I just can't go bare faced, I feel naked

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear eye makeup every day. No face makeup and no lipstick. Every time I tried to cut back on my eye makeup people asked if I felt all right.
  I look like the wicked witch without my eyes and hair done!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love and enjoy makeup; I'm kind of a makeup addict! :) I've done a little freelance work, and had a lot of fun doing reviews and tutorials before I became sick. To me, makeup is just another way to express yourself artistically, like you would with music, cooking, painting, etc. I love that it can be used in such a fun, positive way to boost your mood and confidence, and that it makes you feel more put together and ready to tackle the day.

I actually spent part of last week assembling a new makeup vanity to store things in! :heart2: Applying makeup for me is just relaxing and kind of therapeutic time to unwind and focus on something happy. Kind of like when I do yoga; I zone out and focus only on my breathing and technique; it's the same when I do makeup. It is just calming and peaceful to me, even if the rest of my day is crazy.

On that same note though, I'm just as comfortable walking around in public without any makeup on as well. Makeup doesn't define me, and it should never be a mask, rather just a beautiful extension to accentuate your features! I'd love to go to IMATS at some point in the future, just because I think it would be a blast!

Hair on the other hand...I can not do at all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been totally loving these lipsticks!  They're actually getting me to wear makeup more often; not everyday, but definitely a few times a week.  I caved and ordered the violet one.

I know how 2 red, 2 bronze, 1 dark peach, 1 light peach, 1 violet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Every time I tried to cut back on my eye makeup people asked if I felt all right.
I have had that problem with foundation!  It can be hard to pick the right shade.  I went to a beauty party before and the consultant picked out one for me and I knew it was too light.  i said so but the other ladies there agreed it was the right one.  I tried it a few times and people kept asking if I was ok and telling me I was pale. 
  I am fair skinned; but not THAT fair.  I have an olive undertone.  I can tan nicely; but I will burn first.

My husband and I laugh about our contrasting undertones.  Put our hands together and he looks pink (redhead) and I look yellow-green!  He doesn't know how good he has it not having to ever pick makeup colors!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have had that problem with foundation!  It can be hard to pick the right shade.  I went to a beauty party before and the consultant picked out one for me and I knew it was too light.  i said so but the other ladies there agreed it was the right one.  I tried it a few times and people kept asking if I was ok and telling me I was pale. 
  I am fair skinned; but not THAT fair.  I have an olive undertone.  I can tan nicely; but I will burn first.

My husband and I laugh about our contrasting undertones.  Put our hands together and he looks pink (redhead) and I look yellow-green!  He doesn't know how good he has it not having to ever pick makeup colors!!
Apply a bit of foundation to the back of your hand.  Pick the colour that blends the best with your skin tone. It shouldn't be noticeable.

For lipstick, apply the the pad of your thumb. The skin there should be the same texture and tone as the skin of your lips.

When you apply foundation, start with the centre of your face and work outwards toward the hairline. This will blend in the foundation a lot better and you won't be left with that mask-like look you get if you start at the hairline and work your way to the centre.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lipstick, apply the the pad of your thumb. The skin there should be the same texture and tone as the skin of your lips.
Haha, maybe this is why I've never found a color that looks good on my lips! My lips and my thumb aren't even close to having the same tone (lips very dark, skin very pale, even on my thumb). I'll have to look at other people's thumbs now to see if that's a general rule :tongue2:.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Knowing what my undertones are was key in my finding the right foundation.  Also, the finish can really make a difference.  A matte finish looks very different in the same color as a luminous finish.  I'm pale, but my undertones are yellow-neutral.  Sometimes, I have to mix foundations to get the right shade.  Also, mixing with moisturizer to thin a too-light foundation can make a decent sheer foundation, enough to help deflect the eyes from flaws like spots.

I'm also very prone to acne, so I have to watch who my foundation is from and what I did to my skin before and after wearing it.  I use a soft cloth or baby brush to wash my face then moisturize or use jojoba oil before putting on makeup, and at night before going to bed I make sure that whatever soap I am using actually removes ALL of the makeup.  If I don't, I can guarantee acne lesions will come.