Major peeing

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We rescued a cat last fall and in the process of having dental done on him, we learned he is FIV positive. I've been attempting to add him to our household of 2 adults and 2 other cats (1 male, 1 female) since he won't be able to be an outside cat anymore. We initially thought it was him peeing, and separated him from the others. After a urinalysis came back negative for infection or crystals, we determined it was our other male. Boy was he peeing. Everywhere! My draperies, baseboard, furniture, etc. In every room of the house! All vertical. This new rescue is very mild mannered, very needy as far as cuddles and petting. It seemed as if they got along, eating together and even lounging on the sofa together. I can't understand why the other would view him as a threat, but this is definitely territorial marking. (BTW all are neutered.) New cat is lonely being closed up in studio (12X22) and wants to join the group and I feel terrible for him. I'm trying to spend as much time with him as possible but it isn't enough. With Mason (new guy, maybe 5-8 yrs) locked in, the peeing by Herbie (our 10 year old) appears to have ceased. My husband is fed up and wants Mason out, but I'm desperate to find a solution. I appreciate any feedback.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tend to agree with your husband. If Mason is causing that much distress for Herbie I'd try to find him a new home. There are people willing to adopt FIV pos cats and Herbie was there first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am kind of confused. You said you separated Mason from the others when you suspected he was the one peeing everywhere, but the peeing continued? Then, you said later that keeping Mason locked away from Herbie stopped the peeing incidents. So, I guess I am missing something. Did you also get Herbie checked out as well? I wasn't sure about that either.

What was the the timeline for introductions, and how did you do them? A 10 yo cat is going to take a lot longer to adapt to another cat being brought into his home, than a younger cat would. Even Mason being as old as he is, is not going to adapt to other cats particularly well.

I guess I would want to know more details before advising one way or the other.