Major loss of appetite after convenia?

kittenpetals

Elena's hooman ♡
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had an injection of convenia 5 days ago, since then she’s had zero interest in food when she usually has a great appetite. 2 days after the convenia she was also vomiting.

I’m spending almost an hour at a time hand feeding her each little bit of wet food, even then she only seems to get through about 20 grams of the pouch if we’re lucky. She’s had blood work done which revealed she was dehydrated, she spent overnight hospitalized on IV fluids. I know her BUN level was slightly elevated but the vet believed this could have been from dehydration. She had an injection of cerenia right before she was hospitalized, so I’m unsure how well that worked as she wouldn’t eat for anyone with how anxious she was in hospital.

I’m so upset this antibiotic lasts for so long if this is what’s causing her to feel unwell. If I had known I would’ve said no to convenia. I’m feeling so guilty and I’m really worried about her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Loss of appetite and vomiting are both side effects of Convenia. Not common, but can happen. What was wrong with her in the first place that she needed an antibiotic? It could be from that, and not the Convenia, since you said she was already dehydrated. Or it could be two-fold.

You might try feeding her something different than her regular food. And, if she is still vomiting, ask your Vet for an anti-emetic so she's no longer nauseated. That might help.

Maybe there is something in this thread that will help: Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenpetals

Elena's hooman ♡
Kitten
Purraise
Loss of appetite and vomiting are both side effects of Convenia. Not common, but can happen. What was wrong with her in the first place that she needed an antibiotic? It could be from that, and not the Convenia, since you said she was already dehydrated. Or it could be two-fold.

You might try feeding her something different than her regular food. And, if she is still vomiting, ask your Vet for an anti-emetic so she's no longer nauseated. That might help.

Maybe there is something in this thread that will help: Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
It was given to her for a suspected UTI. Currently waiting for her urinalysis results to come back that they did while she was at emergency, two days after convenia. She’s been sensitive to antibiotics in the past, she has lost her appetite with doxycycline (not to this extent though) and had explosive diarrhea from amoxicillin.

I’ve offered various types of food and she’s even refusing her favorite ones. I’ve had the most luck with purina pro plan wet, but she’s still very slow. There’s no more vomiting but I wonder if she might still be nauseated. If she’s still struggling by the time the vet opens tomorrow, I’ll ask if there’s anything I can give her for nausea.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I'm a little confused (not unusual for me). She got the test for the UTI two days AFTER getting the Convenia? Why did she originally get the Convenia then? Still the UTI? Why didn't they do a urinalysis at that time? BTW, one of mine had a UTI last year and he also has issues with antibiotics (but I won't allow Convenia). We tried the least offensive antibiotic (can't remember which one) and unfortunately, it didn't cure the UTI, so then we asked for a urine culture to make sure if we were going to have to continue with antibiotics that at least we used one that would fix the problem. Only two would work on his particular bacteria, one being doxy which our Vet really doesn't like to use, so we went with the other and it worked. Just telling you this because not all antibiotics work on UTI's. With a previous cat we did use Convenia for a UTI (she was impossible to pill) and we had to go back more than once for more injections of it before it finally went away. THank goodness she didn't have any side effects, but I worried the entire time.

Anyway, keep on hand feeding her until this gets squared away. Maybe your Vet will give you some Mirataz to rub in her ear to help with her appetite. It works pretty well.