Major Issues With My Cat

BCalvaneso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a few issues with my cat that I would like to see if I can get any advice on.

I will preface this by saying that my wife and I have three cats. We live in our own home and have no children. We have two male cats and a female. All the cats are aged 10-12 years old.

1. Our male cat, Puppy, is giving us major headaches...he is constantly pooping outside the litter box. We have 4 litter boxes located throughout the home, with 3 of them the large storage bin types, and the fourth a small box. We have taken him to the vet multiple times and he has been given a clean bill of health through examinations and blood work. His stool is of the liquid, diarrhea variety every bowel movement. We have tried everything that we and the vet can think of. We have changed litter, moved the litter boxes, purchased diffusers, tried calming medicine, you name it, we have probably tried it. No matter what we do he constantly poops outside the box in different areas of the home. We have actually had to lock him in our basement so that he doesn't destroy our wood floors upstairs. We would rather have him pooping on the tiles downstairs.
2. He also pees in different areas of the home. Again, we tried multiple different vets, nobody has an answer as to why he is doing this.
3. Just recently, we have witnessed him eating litter out of the box. When we called the vet she said that he has no health issues as per his bloodwork.

We really need help, anybody have any ideas. We dearly love all of our cats, but our patience is really starting to wear thin.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do the other cats bully him? Is the litter scented? Is this a recent behavioural change?

He may be feeling gut pains and gas. My cat had colititis, and we tried metradonizal. That did not work in his case. I took potential allergens out of his diet, dewormed him, applied Revolution, gave him zylkene. I suspect he had a food intolerance and was stressed out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C carebare pretty much took the words off of my fingertips. This sounds like a pain reaction. Does he EVER use the litter box at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BCalvaneso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do the other cats bully him? Is the litter scented? Is this a recent behavioural change?

He may be feeling gut pains and gas. My cat had colititis, and we tried metradonizal. That did not work in his case. I took potential allergens out of his diet, dewormed him, applied Revolution, gave him zylkene. I suspect he had a food intolerance and was stressed out.
Yes, the other cats definitely bully him near the litter box. We have tried multiple different litters, some scented, others not scented. This has been happening for the last year or so.
We tried metradonizal as well and it did nothing to help solidify his stool. I suppose I could try feeding him a different cat food and see if that helps.

BCalvaneso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C carebare pretty much took the words off of my fingertips. This sounds like a pain reaction. Does he EVER use the litter box at all?
Yes, it is strange but sometimes he poops in the litter box but sometimes he doesn't. But it is a completely liquid poop all the time.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried different foods? Ruled out different protein allergies? Grain allergies?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recommend keeping a constantly cleaned litterbox, and alone time away from the other cats with his own box to test if he goes outside of it.

I recommend to try to find the reason for diarrhea as it may be a reason and it may progress other issues. I had similar issue where we took xray and bloodwork which came back fine, and metradonizol for several weeks. I removed stuff from his diet and the dirrhea stopped. But then it came back when I changed foods.

BCalvaneso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend keeping a constantly cleaned litterbox, and alone time away from the other cats with his own box to test if he goes outside of it.

I recommend to try to find the reason for diarrhea as it may be a reason and it may progress other issues. I had similar issue where we took xray and bloodwork which came back fine, and metradonizol for several weeks. I removed stuff from his diet and the dirrhea stopped. But then it came back when I changed foods.
We will try to switch up his food.

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My views are there are 2 issues here, his diarrhoea and using litter box, that you need to fix one at a time. Not using litter box could be due to his persistence diarrhoea. Thus solving his poo issue us critical. As you say it seems everything is cleared from vet side, I will look into his food and also supplement with probiotics.
Long story short, my kitty persistence diarrhoea previously was solved when he took the lintbells yudigest plus probiotics. It was recommended by the local pet shop. My kitty took 2 packs of the powder form which instantly the diarrhoea stopped. I was amazed of the result. Now he is taking the tablet form for maintenance, one tablet weekly. My kitty is on raw diet too. Human grade boneless meat with ez complete pre mix. He is doing well. Nice smelless poo once in 2 days.
Needless say my kitty has litter box probs due to his diarrhoea, though his diarrhoea was fixed. He is now using pee pad, placed in the toilet, for urine and poo beside the pee pad. I have accepted this and picking up the stool is easy since it is well formed.

Mlle. Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two male, indoor-only, neutered cats, both of whom I’ve had since they were about eight weeks old - CK is 10 yrs old and Jackson is 8. They had been using the single, jumbo-sized covered litter box with crystal litter forever with zero issues until this time last year when I started to notice the occasional piece of poop in front of the box. At first, I thought someone must have knocked it out, but it started to happen more often so I changed everything - I removed the cover and ditched the liner, bought an additional large box, and changed the litter to Cat Attract. I also scoop at the very least twice a day (Litter Genie saved me!). I never have had any external poops since, and it’s been eight months. I’ve switched to regular unscented clumping litter, and they still are fine with that. It doesn’t sound like this is the potential fix for your kitty, but it may help someone else.