Major Freakout over Flea Prevention Topical

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katrina is fine, but I was freaking out last night. I normally use revolution, but had a 1 month supply of Advantage multi for all my cat/kittens. Since the kittens were dewormed, I asked my vet what if they had something and Isabelle contracted it. She was going to send me home with dewormer just in case, but Isabelle hates liquid medicine, so she said using the Advantage multi would take care of any, if something was being passed around.

So there I was last night, with Katrina in my lap and putting the topical on her. She was wiggly, and her short fur was hard to part to get all of it on the skin, but I did the best I could. Somehow the topical got on my lip and it started to tingle... so I rushed to the sink to wash it off.

A few minutes later, Katrina is sitting still with FOAM coming out of her mouth. I was FREAKING out!! I go to grab her, but she doesn't want to be picked up, and it takes me about a few tries to catch her. I held her over the sink and start splashing water on the back of her shoulders where the topical was applied and rubbing the fur to help get it off. My only thought was she was having a horrible reaction, and it needed to come off to prevent more from getting into her system... I swear to goodness... I thought I was going to loss her. My heart was racing so bad! After a few splashes, I realize the water is only on cold, and turned it warmer. Katrina was such a good girl and tolerated it pretty well. I think she knew I was trying to help. I toweled her off and noticed she wasn't foaming anymore.

After setting her down, she pretty much was back to normal and was feeling well enough to excitedly chase Persia around.

Since she looked back to normal, I tried not to worry, but did google it. Apparently this is a common reaction if they lick many types of flea topicals and get it into their mouth because they don't like the taste? I'll be calling my vet when they open tomorrow to let them know what happened.

About 10-15 minutes after everything happened, I realized my arm stung. It turns out Katrina must have gotten me with one of her nails and there was a scratch on my arm. There was so much adrenaline pumping through my system, I hadn't felt or noticed it until the pain registered with me then, haha.

Has this happened to anyone else? It was terrifying...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it possible she was able to accidentally lick some of it. Since you got a little bit on you, maybe some got somewhere where she licked it. I searched many threads here about Advantage Multi, and the only thing I found was a few cats got "slobbery" for a few minutes after licking it,but then were fine. I didn't see anything where this happened strictly through application to their shoulder area.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be calling my vet when they open tomorrow to let them know what happened.
Good for you :) I have not had this happen, - I'm so scared to use flea meds that I have, very infrequently (maybe three times in the past 8-10 years), used tiny and extremely diluted amounts of Avon skin so soft. I don't know what I'd do if we had an infestation or a tick, but with that thought in mind, I found Easydefense on Only Natural Pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible she was able to accidentally lick some of it. Since you got a little bit on you, maybe some got somewhere where she licked it. I searched many threads here about Advantage Multi, and the only thing I found was a few cats got "slobbery" for a few minutes after licking it,but then were fine. I didn't see anything where this happened strictly through application to their shoulder area.
Very possible! All the cats I've had try to lick it off, but I've never seen this happen before, so it freaked me out bad. Thank you for letting me know you haven't heard of this happening just from the topical application, without licking. I've read recently some cats can have a bad reaction to topicals, but didn't remember the exact signs to look for.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what happens then they manage to turn their head around and lick a bit. Just place it up higher out of reach next time. It isn't because she was having a bad reaction, it was because it tastes so horrible.
Good to know, thank you!
Usually once they lick it and taste it and foam up, they don't do it again lol.
Thank goodness, no more freak outs for mommy, then. Haha.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you :) I have not had this happen, - I'm so scared to use flea meds that I have, very infrequently (maybe three times in the past 8-10 years), used tiny and extremely diluted amounts of Avon skin so soft. I don't know what I'd do if we had an infestation or a tick, but with that thought in mind, I found Easydefense on Only Natural Pet.
Thank you! What are your reservations? I've never thought to question flea topical until reading an article on here a week or two ago about some cats having negative reactions. It's something I've always use because vets recommend it, but it is always good to research things, too. My vet talked me into revolution because it prevents fleas, heartworm, and others. Thinking of asking during winter if it is still needed as often because I've heard in colder temperatures there is not as much need for flea prevention.

Isn't the Avon skin so soft a lotion? Does it help to prevent fleas or were you using it for something else? Thanks for sharing!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had/have the thought that putting something on a cat that can be absorbed is not a good thing-this is just my personal opinion, but it seems similar to me trying to avoid scented laundry and bath products. Feline and human systems are sensitive to chemicals. The Avon product is a bath oil and I don't think they make the original unscented any longer, but that product had been shown to repel fleas. Whether it's any better or worse than a topical that your vet recommends, I couldn't say :)

Anyway, I think asking your vet if it's still needed as much is a great idea, or find out if he'd be accepting of the Only Natural Pet product :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! What are your reservations? I've never thought to question flea topical until reading an article on here a week or two ago about some cats having negative reactions. It's something I've always use because vets recommend it, but it is always good to research things, too. My vet talked me into revolution because it prevents fleas, heartworm, and others. Thinking of asking during winter if it is still needed as often because I've heard in colder temperatures there is not as much need for flea prevention.

Isn't the Avon skin so soft a lotion? Does it help to prevent fleas or were you using it for something else? Thanks for sharing!
As long as it is a flea product from a well known company that you get from the vet or is vet approved and not some over the counter junk from the grocery store, that's a start.

I would avoid a lotion that is not specifically a product safe for cats. They are very sensitive to oils and scented things.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t use the flea poisons any more except if it is an outdoor cat coming in who can’t be bathed. I really regret that my dvm put it on Quinn when he came to me with fleas instead of just giving him a bath. He vomited as soon as we got home and started having runs and reacting to foods etc.

I had never used it at all even with indoor outdoor cats and they never had fleas. Ticks were pulled off and rare. I gave them a bath if there were any fleas. When we got Syb she had fleas due to longhair and we had a mild infestation. I stupidly used it on all of them for a while- 3 got cancer and I became very ill myself. I stopped it and went back to baths and shaving Syb in spring, but the damage was done. That solved the problem.
Never again. Just remember you are putting a pesticide on them and it gets on you as well. The ones that kill ticks as well are even worse.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had/have the thought that putting something on a cat that can be absorbed is not a good thing-this is just my personal opinion, but it seems similar to me trying to avoid scented laundry and bath products. Feline and human systems are sensitive to chemicals. The Avon product is a bath oil and I don't think they make the original unscented any longer, but that product had been shown to repel fleas. Whether it's any better or worse than a topical that your vet recommends, I couldn't say :)

Anyway, I think asking your vet if it's still needed as much is a great idea, or find out if he'd be accepting of the Only Natural Pet product :)
FYI on the list of ingredients for Skin So Soft it lists "parfum/fragrance" without saying exactly what those are. I have a friend that works in creating scents for products and basically that translates to "chemicals". So, you may want to rethink using this for the cats.

It's also not a repellent. Avon itself does not recommend the product for this use nor is it approved by the EPA for that use.

teccore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one of my 3 cats had a bad reaction the first time i put advecta on him but he calmed down after about a half hour the 2nd time i used it he was fine i think it might of been the fleas on his body going nuts before they died