Major difference between kitten food and adult food?

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read countless times that kittens should only eat food specifically made for kittens, and not adult food or food for "all life stages" because the kitten food is designed specifically for their young and growing bodies. But I was wondering what the actual difference is between kitten food and adult food? Does kitten food have a different nutritional content (like more vitamins/minerals), or has more calories? Certain ingredients for kittens? Asking mainly because I'm planning on switching my 7 month old kittens to raw food but I haven't come across any separation between what kind of raw food/supplements you should give to kittens vs. adults, besides just giving them a greater quantity. I plan on starting with Hare Today and giving them Alnutrin, so I need to know if I should adjust any supplements or meals for them since they're still growing. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kitten labeled food has more fat and protein then adult labeled food; a kitten fed adult food wont get enough to grow properly. All stages food has enough protein and fat for a growing kitten or to maintain an adult; just change quantity to increase the calories. Remember that commercial food labeling is for the benefit of the company, not the consumer. The lower adult protein and fat content is to allow commercial manufactures to reduce protein and fat to a survivable level for an adult and still call it complete food. It's to save them money and doesn't actually benefit the cats or consumer much.

Raw diets don't get into that because they are biologically appropriate for all cats since cats and kittens will eat the same thing just in different quantities naturally. Kittens naturally just need to eat more calories per pound to fuel their rapid development.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten labeled food has more fat and protein then adult labeled food; a kitten fed adult food wont get enough to grow properly. All stages food has enough protein and fat for a growing kitten or to maintain an adult; just change quantity to increase the calories. Remember that commercial food labeling is for the benefit of the company, not the consumer. The lower adult protein and fat content is to allow commercial manufactures to reduce protein and fat to a survivable level for an adult and still call it complete food. It's to save them money and doesn't actually benefit the cats or consumer much.

Raw diets don't get into that because they are biologically appropriate for all cats since cats and kittens will eat the same thing just in different quantities naturally. Kittens naturally just need to eat more calories per pound to fuel their rapid development.
Wow that makes so much sense. Thank you!!