Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! She is so cute! :redheartpump::hearthrob:
I love her markings.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Need a photo in good natural lighting to determine colour. Most likely a blue classic tabby with white. Marble is the term for the elongated classic pattern exclusive to Bengals.

Tabby isn’t a breed, it’s a pattern. She’s a domestic shorthair, i.e. has no breed ancestry in any significant capacity 🙂

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s a blue & white classic tabby domestic shorthair, doesn’t appear to be silver of any colour (silvers always have a base colour, blue silver, black silver etc)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beauty😻 The first pic the light it’s kind of hard to see. But I’m guessing she is a blue classic tabby with white domestic shorthair- beautiful pattern she has. The first pick the light it’s kind of hard to see. .. I think marbled is also used to refer to the typical classic tabby pattern and has been in the past- especially British shorthairs.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Marbled is the same pattern as classic. No sense in splitting hairs 🙂 The pattern evolved among cats in the British isles and is most not uncommon there among domestic cats.

She is gorgeous A Ames84

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Marbled is the same pattern as classic. No sense in splitting hairs 🙂
It is not. Marbled is elongated in such a way that it causes rosettes to form when combined with the spotted modifier. Spotted over classic tabby results in the Ocicat pattern. All marbled tabby are classic, only some classic tabbies are marbled, imo.

Marbled also takes a long time to develop, while classic is more or less born with their adult pattern.

ETA: TCS thread from 2007, with photos. Classic Tabbies vs. Marble Bengals

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is correcting wrong information ‘splitting hairs’? I wouldn’t have thought so.

Bengals are the only breed to have marbles, influenced by the horizontal flow of their rosettes, the marble pattern flows in an elongated way that classics do not.
Marbles are born with their pattern very tight, going through interesting changes as they grow and reveal the marbling.
Classic tabbies don’t go through this change.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is a Classic Tabby Cat? - Cat-World

Bengal cats get their 'marbling' from domestic cats....hence why it is the same pattern. Breeders may try to breed for more horizontal stripes but changing the name from classic to marble - an egg is still an egg. Just like a blue cat is still grey.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengal cats get their 'marbling' from domestic cats....hence why it is the same pattern. Breeders may try to breed for more horizontal stripes but changing the name from classic to marble - an egg is still an egg. Just like a blue cat is still grey.
Yes. Marbled is modified classic. Hence all marbled is classic, but only some classic is marbled. There are distinct visual differences between the two, as well as they way the pattern develops, quite possibly tied to some intrinsic aspect of bengals having ALC ancestry.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Marbled is the name chosen by Bengal breeders for a pattern they took from domestic cats. Coat patters have been evolving in Bengals to appear more and more wild. The same way Persian faces have gotten flatter and Siamese ears bigger.
Yes, 'marbled' Bengals are evolving to be more horizontal in their pattern.
After all, one must make sure their wild hybrids look distinctly wild to differentiate them from 'just moggies' 🌝

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breeders may try to breed for more horizontal stripes
they’re not breeding for horizontal stripes, that isn’t what flow means.
there is not another standard using the term marble, it is used because it would be wrong to describe this pattern as simply classic and expect it to be both presented and judged correctly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ames84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beauty😻 The first pic the light it’s kind of hard to see. But I’m guessing she is a blue classic tabby with white domestic shorthair- beautiful pattern she has. The first pick the light it’s kind of hard to see. .. I think marbled is also used to refer to the typical classic tabby pattern and has been in the past- especially British shorthairs.
20220124_215518.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ames84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need a photo in good natural lighting to determine colour. Most likely a blue classic tabby with white. Marble is the term for the elongated classic pattern exclusive to Bengals.

Tabby isn’t a breed, it’s a pattern. She’s a domestic shorthair, i.e. has no breed ancestry in any significant capacity 🙂

Attachments