Mainecoon rooms

Alexndria101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am getting a female mainecoon kitten at the end of February . I did get breeding rights for her. My question is, even though I know I still have over a year what kind of room should I start to make for the mom and kittens?She is going to stay with but I have kids and other animals so I want them to be safe and comfortable. I want to totally design something now , also a part for a male ( I know a-lot of people don`t recommend getting a male right away but if I`m doing the construction I might as well do it all at once. How big do these rooms have to be ? I know about having ventilation, the right temp, easy to clean, have a sink nearby, storage but I can`t find any pictures or recommendations on size. Also , since I`m not getting a male right away and I don`t know anyone around that breeds mainecoons .how would I go about finding a stud to borrow? Any help is appreciated , please I am doing the best I can to learn and prepare so no rude comments.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re getting a girl with breeding rights, you should really be asking the breeder you’re getting her from to mentor you. They’ll also be able to provide the best advice, as well as help you find a suitable stud for your girl. Maine Coon aren’t the easiest beginner breed, as they need both hip scoring and regular HCM screening (and a good mentor will be able to offer advice and referrals), on top of clean genetic tests, but a new breeder of any breed would benefit from mentorship — it’s not always intuitive to figure out what stud suits what queen to provide healthy kittens of the best type. Not to mention the basics on the best ethical breeding practices, like how to integrate queens in the family (especially if you have some that don’t get along), and how to ethically keep a stud house, while still allowing the stud time with the family.

Many queens, especially first time mothers, will prefer the breeder there with them during the birth, so keep that in mind. Many breeders will have queens in their bedrooms during the last week of pregnancy and throughout nursing. I know of some who kick their partner out of the bedroom for at least part of that time lol.

Additionally, queens almost always go to studs, not the other way around, and will stay with the stud for a number of days. Part of the reason it’s important to build a relationship and become a mentee of the breeder selling you your queen, as you’ll be able to build the trust you need for this to happen. A mentor may offer you their own stud, unrelated to your queen, that suits her, or refer you to a stud from a friendly cattery.
Ethical breeders don’t sell active or stud to unknowns (so if the breeder you’re looking to buy active from barely knows you, it’s a big red flag, and you’d be best off looking elsewhere), so building that relationship is crucial.
Best way to meet an ethical breeder to mentor you and sell you your first breed-class queen with rights is to make relationships in your local cat fancy circle by showing an MCO neuter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexndria101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I have been talking to her for a few weeks, and she has been really great at answering my basic questions but she is from Russia . I do have other cats , when they lay in bed I don`t mind kicking my husband out for them so I could definatly do that. My plan was to build small room in the basement (its a finished basement) next to my play room so they could have their own space and I could stay on the couch . I don`t mind being with them through everything. I love cats so much thats the reason I wanted to start breeding.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s well known if you want a quick and easy start to breeding just import from Russia, this however is not the best way to build a good reputation. A breeder you’ve spoken to for a mere few weeks isn’t ideal.

Show a neuter for several years from a local breeder, learn the standard and network with other breeders before thinking of jumping in to breeding.
This network then also gives you access to a stud who’ll best suit your girl with help from your mentor.

breeding takes an enormous amount of time and dedication to do right, a house full of other animals and children may not be the right time to undertake breeding as well.
Just loving cats isn’t really a reason to start breeding.

our girls live in the house as pets. They use our bedroom for birthing until the kittens are old enough to be in the main house.