Maine Coon’s, after as much information before I buy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW...I googled "catio kits" (since you're not an experience builder) and got so many neat responses that I'm just going to give you the link to my own search page!

catio kits - Google Search
Great, thank you! Didn’t realise I could just buy one. Will definitely be saving a few of those for later.

MysticPisces

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’ll love a Maine. My first cat was half Maine half Siamese. He was vocal which I’m sure was because of his Siamese half. But he was also super loyal, affectionate, feisty, and athletic. We had the tightest bond a cat and a person could have. He was super smart he played all kinds of games with me such as fetch, catch, peek a boo, and Jack in the Box. I taught him tricks like to jump up on any spot I told him too, do a flip in the air, give kisses, Shake, roll over, and his recall was amazing on the occasions he’d get out I’d just go outside calling his name and in no time I’d seen him leaping over the fence and coming up to me. He also did well with dogs. I lost him at 17 yrs old to kidney problems. He was the best pet I ever owned. I definitely want another Maine/Siamese mix or a purebred Maine but due to personal preference I only adopt cat and kittens from shelters and there’s rarely a Maine or Maine mix available. I’m adopting a new kitten later today and even though I'm pretty much set on a particular kitten I’m hoping somehow when I go back I’ll stumble across a Maine or a Maine mix kitten.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just saw this thread.

We have a purebred Maine Coon kitten, she is almost 6 months old now. We got her early September.

We've had domestic cats and we just happened to want an MC for quite a while but, specifically wanted a kitten as I've never had that experience. We were able to find purebred older MC's available for adoption through rescues but no kittens so we decided to put ourselves on a waiting list last year. However, in the interim, I remembered another breeder more local I'd met a few years ago and got in touch with her and she happened to have kittens available and one in the color we happened to want. One thing led to another and Luna came home to us.

Anyway, she's a doll. Extremely well socialized, very friendly and playful. She's already nearly 7 pounds, so rather large for a 6 month old. She does not "meow" like a traditional kitten - she trills and chirps.

FYI there are some differences in coat length - not all are as long haired as others, especially when young. They take a long time to fully mature and you may not see their full coat come in for many years. Ours has long ear tufts, longer fur around her neck but not extremely, her back leg hocks fur is somewhat longer but the rest of her is currently medium length. Fur, very silky. They really need more upkeep than other cats as far as their coat care due to having an undercoat and their ears will need periodic cleaning because of their size. Brushing and combing is mandatory too - although not as much as one would think. Getting them used to this while young is important but also difficult because everything is viewed as a toy LOL

It is of extreme importance to make sure you find a reputable breeder. Do NOT use Craigs list. Do NOT use a backyard breeder. Do not use anyone that you have a bad feeling about. You will regret it, I can assure you of that. Make sure there's a contract in place. And be prepared to pay good money. Normal pricing for a pet quality MC is in the vicinity of over $1000. If someone says a kitten is $500 run like the wind. You get what you pay for.

Here's some pix of our Luna Moonshadow. She's a black smoke color. First one is the photo we first saw of her with her gray littermate. Last one - the b&w one, is from this morning. Almost 6 months old; she gets spayed next week. Please make sure you keep your cats indoors! Especially if you are getting a purebreed cat. Anyone that would find such a cat outdoors would love to keep it for their own.

EDIT: They will get plenty of exercise living indoors as long as you have plenty of high places for them to jump on, play with them with wand type toys/lasers and balls etc to chase around. Cats do not need to be outdoors to lead healthy, mentally and physically stimulating lives.

If you have questions feel free to ask.
maine coon babies.jpg

luna vet.jpg

luna 2.jpg

luna october.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only glanced through the responses but I haven't noticed anyone mentioning the special care that long haired cats require - they need to be brushed daily at least and sometimes they don't like it. And just be aware that the litter is generally tracked more with the long haired cats (they take it out with their fur) and well, you may have a situation when the poop sticks to his back fur as well :) Long hair is beautiful but high maintenance.

And just please don't just pick any breeder, but registered one and reputable, that will save you a lot of trouble and money. And make sure the kitten gets to stay with his mom&siblings as long as possible, till 16 weeks, that would minimize the risk of most behavioral problems.
16 weeks IS ideal. Our MC was with her mom until then and she is truly the most well adjusted cat I've ever been around