Maine Coon’s, after as much information before I buy!

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I’m looking to hopefully buy a Maine Coon kitten. I’ve done some research on the breed but I’ve found nothing beats getting other owners opinions when it comes to owning pets.

I currently have a 2yo medium sized crossbreed dog. I’ve read these cats are good natured and are usually more tolerant of dogs. My dog is very playful but quite a chicken. She has always been curious of cats we see out and about, often creeping closer for a sniff. A few have scared her and so she does tend to bark at ones that jump out at her and pull towards them but she has never tried to attack one, even when she’s been off leash in the park. Im hoping with a kitten she will accept it readily and the two will be fast friends.

I also have two children, aged 14 and 8. We used to own cats, a pair of brothers so both are accustomed to cats being around. That brings me to my next question of indoor or outdoor? The cats we had were outdoor cats. Unfortunately one ran away at 3yo and the second went missing 5 years later. That was probably my fault as I never had their nuts off, they probably went prowling for females.
I imagine with these cats being large in size they would need to be outdoors to get enough exercise.

And finally what are they like in general? Differences between males and females you’ve noticed? I would go for a male. Just had our bitch done and it was the worst 2 weeks I’ve ever endured.

Looking forward to the replies, thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't owned Maine Coons (yet), but I am familiar with them. They are big, strong, active and laid-back. I am thinking you will be getting a kitten, so it will quickly adapt to life with kids and dogs. AND your children are old enough to know how to handle (or be taught) a small kitten. The dog now...

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

THIS should help!

By all means, neuter at six months, five is even better if your vet will do it. That will take care of a lot of issues, including spraying, wandering, and hormone-driven cancers.

I am firmly of the opinion that cats should not be outdoors unattended. What happened to your previous cats is a perfect example of why. The world is so large, and they are so small. And given their ability to out-run, out-climb, and in most cases, out-smart us, "outside but attended" usually means leash and harness training, with walks. Yes, cats walk on leashes. But it is an entirely different experience than walking a dog. You will get to experience the world in a whole new way, following behind your cat!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My Eliot was a Maine Coon who came to me when someone passed on. He was personable, reliable, laid back, and friendly. They are a great breed if you are looking for a purebred cat. I don't know if the personality is the same with the females. Eliot was very observant and would catch leaks or bring my attention to things around the house that were not right.

I agree....neutered and indoor. Eliot had been an outdoor cat and eventually his cat friend was hit by a car, before I took him. He protested somewhat to being indoor only, but got over it very quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't owned Maine Coons (yet), but I am familiar with them. They are big, strong, active and laid-back. I am thinking you will be getting a kitten, so it will quickly adapt to life with kids and dogs. AND your children are old enough to know how to handle (or be taught) a small kitten. The dog now...

THIS should help!

By all means, neuter at six months, five is even better if your vet will do it. That will take care of a lot of issues, including spraying, wandering, and hormone-driven cancers.

I am firmly of the opinion that cats should not be outdoors unattended. What happened to your previous cats is a perfect example of why. The world is so large, and they are so small. And given their ability to out-run, out-climb, and in most cases, out-smart us, "outside but attended" usually means leash and harness training, with walks. Yes, cats walk on leashes. But it is an entirely different experience than walking a dog. You will get to experience the world in a whole new way, following behind your cat!
Thank you for the article. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone walk a cat before haha. Something to think about I guess! I was doing a bit of research earlier and found catpatio

THIS should help!

Thank you for the article. I looked at a few breeders close to our area and found that they all wanted their litters to be indoors. ’catpatio’ came up often and after a google thought that was a really good idea. I’m not good at diy but could possibly find someone to build us one in the backyard. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone walk a cat before, I’d feel a bit of a idiot tbh but then again never thought I’d have to carry my 20kg dog into the vets every time she needs a check! The things we do for our kidos haha

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Eliot was a Maine Coon who came to me when someone passed on. He was personable, reliable, laid back, and friendly. They are a great breed if you are looking for a purebred cat. I don't know if the personality is the same with the females. Eliot was very observant and would catch leaks or bring my attention to things around the house that were not right.

I agree....neutered and indoor. Eliot had been an outdoor cat and eventually his cat friend was hit by a car, before I took him. He protested somewhat to being indoor only, but got over it very quickly.
Aw, glad Elliot found a good home before anything bad happened to him. I would have any kitten neutered now, wouldn’t of ten years ago, wiser with age. Did you never let him out at all then? I also saw something about cat proofing a garden but don’t know how well that would work lol.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I’m looking to hopefully buy a Maine Coon kitten. I’ve done some research on the breed but I’ve found nothing beats getting other owners opinions when it comes to owning pets.

I currently have a 2yo medium sized crossbreed dog. I’ve read these cats are good natured and are usually more tolerant of dogs. My dog is very playful but quite a chicken. She has always been curious of cats we see out and about, often creeping closer for a sniff. A few have scared her and so she does tend to bark at ones that jump out at her and pull towards them but she has never tried to attack one, even when she’s been off leash in the park. Im hoping with a kitten she will accept it readily and the two will be fast friends.

I also have two children, aged 14 and 8. We used to own cats, a pair of brothers so both are accustomed to cats being around. That brings me to my next question of indoor or outdoor? The cats we had were outdoor cats. Unfortunately one ran away at 3yo and the second went missing 5 years later. That was probably my fault as I never had their nuts off, they probably went prowling for females.
I imagine with these cats being large in size they would need to be outdoors to get enough exercise.

And finally what are they like in general? Differences between males and females you’ve noticed? I would go for a male. Just had our bitch done and it was the worst 2 weeks I’ve ever endured.

Looking forward to the replies, thank you!
A reputable breeder is not going to give you a kitten to let them outside to get lost etc again. Keep him/ her inside, build a catio, train them to walk on leashes. I had indoor outdoor cats mostly in the past but will not do it anymore for many reasons unless there is a circumstance that makes it the only option. If kitty has a companion and you play with them they are ok inside.

Maine Coones are great. My Syb was part NFC part Siberian- she was the best cat, very smart and so beautiful and graceful. A true athlete. She could jump 4-5 feet up like a hc and silently land on a dresser. She loved running around in the snow. Her pic is my pic here. These breeds are prone to hcm though, she had that at the end. She also and asthma, crf at the end and liver failure, as well as ic and peeing problems. She was a rescue. She was small at 8-9 lbs and not super cuddly, but very sweet, gentle and she loved tummy rubs. Another issue was her fur, she had terrible mats and hated being brushed so I had to give her a lion cut each spring.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that was probably a good part Maine Coon (some question about Norwegian Forest Cat, but impossible to tell.) She was wonderful. Very affectionate, loved petting and scratching, very sweet. Very graceful looking. She loved loved loved my Labrador Retriever. She would lay beside me and up against me but not really an in-the-lap-cat.
She was very well behaved and calm.
She had a few bouts of UTI's and one bladder stone, and when it was flaring up she would go pee in the bathtub so I could see it was blood tinged and she needed treatment.
She was shy in that she wouldn't come out the first time someone was in the house that was new to her, but somehow she had memory of people because the second time that person was in the house she was quite friendly! There was only one person, a cat sitter, that she came out on the first time in the house, for the pre-vacation visit.
Her fur was soooo full and fluffy. I had to had her trimmed in to a lion cut (as the person above!) each spring because of the hair balls. She loved being brushed and I did it daily in shedding season but it wasn't enough. She was a beauty.
This was some years ago, before I was educated about letting cats outdoors, so at first she was indoor/outdoor, and loved being outdoors, then when I made her an indoor only cat there was some adjustment time but she did fine as far as activity and it got to the point of being fine.
She was great.

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there,

you are free to buy whatever you like, just bringing to your attention that on petfinder there are literally over 100.000 cats with no home and ready to be adopted. All colors, breeds, sizes and ages.

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A reputable breeder is not going to give you a kitten to let them outside to get lost etc again. Keep him/ her inside, build a catio, train them to walk on leashes. I had indoor outdoor cats mostly in the past but will not do it anymore for many reasons unless there is a circumstance that makes it the only option. If kitty has a companion and you play with them they are ok inside.

Maine Coones are great. My Syb was part NFC part Siberian- she was the best cat, very smart and so beautiful and graceful. A true athlete. She could jump 4-5 feet up like a hc and silently land on a dresser. She loved running around in the snow. Her pic is my pic here. These breeds are prone to hcm though, she had that at the end. She also and asthma, crf at the end and liver failure, as well as ic and peeing problems. She was a rescue. She was small at 8-9 lbs and not super cuddly, but very sweet, gentle and she loved tummy rubs. Another issue was her fur, she had terrible mats and hated being brushed so I had to give her a lion cut each spring.
Sorry to hear she was so sick at the end. I never let my previous cats out before 6mo but if breeder wanted them indoors I would respect that. I also wouldn’t want kitty to get lost or hurt, my kids were devastated when the last two disappeared. Hopefully kitty will have Tilly, my dog, to play with and if all goes well I will happily buy a cat tree and install a outdoor enclosure for him.

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat that was probably a good part Maine Coon (some question about Norwegian Forest Cat, but impossible to tell.) She was wonderful. Very affectionate, loved petting and scratching, very sweet. Very graceful looking. She loved loved loved my Labrador Retriever. She would lay beside me and up against me but not really an in-the-lap-cat.
She was very well behaved and calm.
She had a few bouts of UTI's and one bladder stone, and when it was flaring up she would go pee in the bathtub so I could see it was blood tinged and she needed treatment.
She was shy in that she wouldn't come out the first time someone was in the house that was new to her, but somehow she had memory of people because the second time that person was in the house she was quite friendly! There was only one person, a cat sitter, that she came out on the first time in the house, for the pre-vacation visit.
Her fur was soooo full and fluffy. I had to had her trimmed in to a lion cut (as the person above!) each spring because of the hair balls. She loved being brushed and I did it daily in shedding season but it wasn't enough. She was a beauty.
This was some years ago, before I was educated about letting cats outdoors, so at first she was indoor/outdoor, and loved being outdoors, then when I made her an indoor only cat there was some adjustment time but she did fine as far as activity and it got to the point of being fine.
She was great.
Glad to hear she got on well with your lab and was well behaved. I want a breed that’s happy to play/interact but also content in its own company from time to time. Though I doubt my dog or kids would ever ignore kitty. Did your dog have any previous interactions with cats?

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,

you are free to buy whatever you like, just bringing to your attention that on petfinder there are literally over 100.000 cats with no home and ready to be adopted. All colors, breeds, sizes and ages.
Unfortunately I’m in the uk and petfinder doesn’t cover us. I have checked our local rescues and will do again when I’m ready to buy, hopefully after Christmas. But I am set on the breed I want and a kitten with no previous fears/history would be best for us.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear she was so sick at the end. I never let my previous cats out before 6mo but if breeder wanted them indoors I would respect that. I also wouldn’t want kitty to get lost or hurt, my kids were devastated when the last two disappeared. Hopefully kitty will have Tilly, my dog, to play with and if all goes well I will happily buy a cat tree and install a outdoor enclosure for him.
I think it is more common in uk to do that but I know a few in uk on fb whose kitties were hit by cars, killed by predators etc and they don’t let their kitties out anymore. One woman was still grieving the loss of her beloved siamese many years later who was grabbed by a predator while she was out and she had been out with her and just went inside for a bit. Leash training is easy and this breed will accept it very well. Syb was in out due to her peeing etc, but then on a leash. Catios are a good option as well.

There are quite a few pure bred mc who are on rescues here for adoption, not sure about there. Even a kitten can turn out to have issues, as did Quinn with my girl Syb, and nothing we did helped so we had to separate them totally at the end, really it was a whole year, which was hard, when she became ill. If you foster a cat you can tell if they will all get along first before making a commitment. Since you don’t have other cats, I think you said, the dog is the main issue.

A good breeder will screen their cats for genes that cause hcm, but it is not a guarantee that they won’t get it.

It was very hard seeing her so ill. My Tess also had hcm, not mc etc. she was a dsh tortie rescue and the most gentle cat in the world and fearless, she came everywhere with me. I miss them both so much. Syb lived a long life, she was 6 months when I adopted her from a rescue and she lived till 17.5.

Last edited:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's no good asking me because I'm just going to say get one...…...or two...…..or ten 😊

Firstly, I can't comment on females.

Anyway, I had wanted a MC for years and I finally came across Oliver when he was ten years old and I've had him a couple of years + now.

We've had many cats over the years and I've loved them all dearly. However, Oliver has taken it to an entirely different level of adoration. He's more a mixture of cat, dog and person. He's so loving and gentle with us and he's my soul cat for sure. He's just a very laid back and loves cuddles all the time. If he's not being cuddled he's usually just a few feet away as he follows me.

We have a 40kg German Shepherd/Akita called Chase but Oliver is dominant over him and Chase knows it. I don't think Oliver has any fear of other animals but he's not nasty with it, just very confident.

He's managed to sneak out a couple of times but I would never let him out purposely. If he didn't get squashed by a car he'd be stolen I'm sure. Please don't let yours out if/when you get one. They are very striking and a target of theft.

I spoke to Oliver's breeder just to say thanks for bringing him into the world because he's so lovely. She said that she bred for health and temperament first and looks second. I think that is a good ethic so maybe you could ask a similar question when it comes to it.

So, that's my totally biased advice. ;)

Oliver agrees with everything I've written.

IMG_0809.JPG 30884687-381-640x853.jpg

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it is more common in uk to do that but I know a few in uk on fb whose kitties were hit by cars, killed by predators etc and they don’t let their kitties out anymore. One woman was still grieving the loss of her beloved siamese many years later who was grabbed by a predator while she was out and she had been out with her and just went inside for a bit. Leash training is easy and this breed will accept it very well. Syb was in out due to her peeing etc, but then on a leash. Catios are a good option as well.

There are quite a few pure bred mc who are on rescues here for adoption, not sure about there. Even a kitten can turn out to have issues, as did Quinn with my girl Syb, and nothing we did helped so we had to separate them totally at the end, really it was a whole year, which was hard, when she became ill. If you foster a cat you can tell if they will all get along first before making a commitment. Since you don’t have other cats, I think you said, the dog is the main issue.

A good breeder will screen their cats for genes that cause hcm, but it is not a guarantee that they won’t get it.

It was very hard seeing her so ill. My Tess also had hcm, not mc etc. she was a dsh tortie rescue and the most gentle cat in the world and fearless, she came everywhere with me. I miss them both so much. Syb lived a long life, she was 6 months when I adopted her from a rescue and she lived till 17.5.
It's no good asking me because I'm just going to say get one...…...or two...…..or ten 😊

Firstly, I can't comment on females.

Anyway, I had wanted a MC for years and I finally came across Oliver when he was ten years old and I've had him a couple of years + now.

We've had many cats over the years and I've loved them all dearly. However, Oliver has taken it to an entirely different level of adoration. He's more a mixture of cat, dog and person. He's so loving and gentle with us and he's my soul cat for sure. He's just a very laid back and loves cuddles all the time. If he's not being cuddled he's usually just a few feet away as he follows me.

We have a 40kg German Shepherd/Akita called Chase but Oliver is dominant over him and Chase knows it. I don't think Oliver has any fear of other animals but he's not nasty with it, just very confident.

He's managed to sneak out a couple of times but I would never let him out purposely. If he didn't get squashed by a car he'd be stolen I'm sure. Please don't let yours out if/when you get one. They are very striking and a target of theft.

I spoke to Oliver's breeder just to say thanks for bringing him into the world because he's so lovely. She said that she bred for health and temperament first and looks second. I think that is a good ethic so maybe you could ask a similar question when it comes to it.

So, that's my totally biased advice. ;)

Oliver agrees with everything I've written.

View attachment 304018View attachment 304019
Very common here to just let the cats out. I remember when I was a kid everyone, my family included, let the dogs out too! They’d all be on the field across the road and come home when they were hungry. Things were different back then.

You still see a fair amount now although most are probably strays.
I did attempt to take in a stray kitten right before we got the dog. It’s always been the plan to have a dog and a cat or two dogs. Little kitten didn’t take to us though and so we ended up handing him over to a shelter. I wouldn’t mind an older cat but I do have to be careful because of the dog and my youngest who is still very hands on/grabby. I think MC’s are pretty popular in the U.K. as I had no trouble finding breeders close to home but I will keep in mind to have a look at shelters before I buy. And these breeders did screen mom/dad, so will ask to have a look at those tests as well.
Loosing our cats, Coco and Fluffy, was difficult and I only faintly remember my family dog Rory suddenly passing away. Brings me comfort to know that I did the best I could for them as it must you as well. 17.5 years, my god! A long full life indeed.

Aw, Oliver sounds like he’s brought you loads of love. He’s a very handsome guy and love those pics. Our Tilly is submissive with other dogs so I think having a dominant cat wouldn’t be a problem for her at all, so long as she still gets to lord over the kids. Sometimes I think she thinks she’s the mom haha.
I didn’t think about theft. They are very unusual and so that would also be something to think about. I suppose if I did leash train and have kitty supervised in the garden all would be fine.

I would 100% ask the breeder about mom/dad and for the results of health tests. I was lied to when it came to our dog about mom/dad. Luckily for us she turned out to be a gem and in tip top shape.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she got on well with your lab and was well behaved. I want a breed that’s happy to play/interact but also content in its own company from time to time. Though I doubt my dog or kids would ever ignore kitty. Did your dog have any previous interactions with cats?
No, she didn't have any kitty experience. I got her as an 8 week old puppy. She was 4 years old when we got the 2 kittens, the Maine Coon/Nor. Forest Cat and another. They were so cute. Pearl (my lab, 75 pounds) would get down on her belly and be all submissive to not scare Milkshake (the cat) and Milkshake would play with her nose etc., and they'd snuggle and sleep together. And Milkshake would also like to be alone and observe too. Loved the highest perch of the cat tree, which was 7 ft. tall!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only glanced through the responses but I haven't noticed anyone mentioning the special care that long haired cats require - they need to be brushed daily at least and sometimes they don't like it. And just be aware that the litter is generally tracked more with the long haired cats (they take it out with their fur) and well, you may have a situation when the poop sticks to his back fur as well :) Long hair is beautiful but high maintenance.

And just please don't just pick any breeder, but registered one and reputable, that will save you a lot of trouble and money. And make sure the kitten gets to stay with his mom&siblings as long as possible, till 16 weeks, that would minimize the risk of most behavioral problems.

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she didn't have any kitty experience. I got her as an 8 week old puppy. She was 4 years old when we got the 2 kittens, the Maine Coon/Nor. Forest Cat and another. They were so cute. Pearl (my lab, 75 pounds) would get down on her belly and be all submissive to not scare Milkshake (the cat) and Milkshake would play with her nose etc., and they'd snuggle and sleep together. And Milkshake would also like to be alone and observe too. Loved the highest perch of the cat tree, which was 7 ft. tall!
Aw, hope my dog gets along with new kitty as good as yours do. Fingers crossed!

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only glanced through the responses but I haven't noticed anyone mentioning the special care that long haired cats require - they need to be brushed daily at least and sometimes they don't like it. And just be aware that the litter is generally tracked more with the long haired cats (they take it out with their fur) and well, you may have a situation when the poop sticks to his back fur as well :) Long hair is beautiful but high maintenance.

And just please don't just pick any breeder, but registered one and reputable, that will save you a lot of trouble and money. And make sure the kitten gets to stay with his mom&siblings as long as possible, till 16 weeks, that would minimize the risk of most behavioral problems.
Poop in fur, hadn’t thought of that one. Best make sure I treat from one day when it comes to brushing and get kitty used to a bit of water. My old cats used to knock the litter everywhere but I’d already thought of that. I’ve been looking at some enclosed litter trays, it’ll be in the downstairs toilet with a cat flap for easy access.

And thanks for the tip when it comes to picking a breeder. I won’t be purchasing for awhile, hopefully by this time next year we’ll have the newest edition to the family.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Poop in fur, hadn’t thought of that one. Best make sure I treat from one day when it comes to brushing and get kitty used to a bit of water. My old cats used to knock the litter everywhere but I’d already thought of that. I’ve been looking at some enclosed litter trays, it’ll be in the downstairs toilet with a cat flap for easy access.

And thanks for the tip when it comes to picking a breeder. I won’t be purchasing for awhile, hopefully by this time next year we’ll have the newest edition to the family.
Ahh yes. Poop in fur. Had forgotten that. Poop stuck to fur and sometimes it dropped around the house. Fortunately she loved, absolutely loved, to be brushed so dealing with it was easy. But, I did have a Pug at the time that loved feasting in the litter boxes so when poop was dropped around the house (actually not very often) I spied him a couple of times gobbling it up before I could get to it. Had to make the litter boxes not dog accessible too.

• Purraise
Reactions: C.S