Maine Coon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noelnoel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Sounds like they did mate. I feel so awful as an owner! I feel so irresponsible and not very good. :/ will be calling around tomorrow!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they did mate don't beat yourself up, the main thing is to get her fixed asap. If you are in the US, I would Google "low-cost spay and neuter clinics" in your area; especially if money is an issue. They usually don't have age limits only weight requirements.

The one near my house requires kittens be at least 2 lbs. It only costs $30 for females and $25 for males.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ring round all the vets anywhere near where you live ASAP to see if you can get her snipped ASAP. and get the male done ASAP as well.  In the meantime keep them apart.  If you cannot find a vet who will spay her, ask your vet for hormone treatment to prevent pregnancy.  Emphasis the situation, don't hold back but of course be polite and calm. 

PS this is a starter in the hunt for a vet:

http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/index.html

Do make sure to explain the situation clearly - you have an entire male and an entire female in the house and she has called on whatever the dates were and you believe she is probably pregnant.  If they say they can't help soon enough, ask who might be able to.

Last edited:

noelnoel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good tips. I am in Canada where $25 / $30 neuter spay is unheard of. I will certainly call around and keep everyone updated. I am very unhappy Phineas is split apart. They have such a lovely bond until all these happened. I hope they'll be close again and Phin doesn't hate me for banishing him. My older cat hisses at my kitten, attacks her if she gets to close. Let's hope I get some answers today! :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$100 is still cheaper than raising a average size litter of kittens.  They each eat as much as an adult, and poo and pee more in my view...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$100 is still cheaper than raising a average size litter of kittens.  They each eat as much as an adult, and poo and pee more in my view...
$500 is still cheaper, my girls eat 5 times a day while pregnant and nursing let alone the kittens once they start

So I hope you're able to get her done ASAP, spaying is rarely found as cheap as in the US, you'd never find $25 spaying here either

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only charities offer low-cost spay/neuter; it's not at all normal for a neuter to cost that little. In some larger cities it can cost several hundred, but of course rural vets have lower overheard and can charge less. But, yeah, no matter how much a spay costs, it's still cheaper than kittens! Ravenous little beasties :D.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess here in Nashville, TN we are just lucky b/c there are 4 non-profits within 25 miles of my house that charge less than $35.00 for all felines.

And that's not including the local humane society's "spay station" bus which is for poverty-level pet owners.

Last edited:

noelnoel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So...end of the day. Sorry for late updates, my stomach ulcer flared up again and I've been so weak and in pain most of the day. :( I managed to get hold of the same person who is doing Phineas on Monday to also spay Astro at the same time! Yay! Phineas' s shots and neuter is done by this non profit group about 1 hr away from me. They are an amazing group of ladies who will fix and give shots to stray cats that you've found! Astro goes to my regular vet who quoted me a price of $400 and keeping her overnight. :((( I want my babies home. So, for a fee of $200 they do both, as she'll make an exception for me! We don't qualify for charity spay'/neuter, but just like everybody else, we also have bills and expenses. Plus, we are going away to watch hockey games a couple of weekends this month and my husband is travelling to L.a. and Vegas for conventions, etc.. so we've already made plans and I don't want to spend too much money at one time. Vet also recommended Astro gets spayed as later as possible, as she's tiny and needs to grow some more. Her Mom is small and her dad is huge, but she takes after her Mom so she's just tiny overall.

I think that cheap neuter/spay clinics should be made available for EVERYONE, not just the needy! Afterall it is for the benefit of the animals. Reduce chances of ovarian/testicular cancers, less babies being dumped at the pound, less ferals too. At least having these kind of low cost clinics would be much more appealing for people to adopt animals instead of having pounds overflowing with them! Now, these ladies I mentioned to you about in the above paragraph were more than pleased to help me when they realised that I was keeping Phineas, my stray instead of dumping him at the shelter. lol Oh no, how could I leave him?

I checked on Phineas earlier on and he so want to go back with everyone inside...those eyes. Sooooo sad, but I just left him. I give him extra food, and cleaned the foyer, he sprayed like crazy in there. I am too weak physically now. Too much stress!

Anyway, happy ending for my dilemma. Will keep everybody updated! Thanks everyone!!!,

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great that you're having both of your new babies neutered/spayed. Phineas looks a lot like a big, cuddly boy who belongs to my mother. $200 is a GREAT deal for a spay and neuter. Unfortunately, there are limited funds involved with spay/neuter organizations so they really need to help no-low income individuals first(and there are A LOT of low income pet owners). I agree there should ideally be more, though, as I've seen plenty of cases where people can clearly afford this very necessary surgery but would rather not spend the money. I met a woman who was in that boat(very well-off financially) but she finally decided to neuter her cat when she heard about a traveling spay/neuter clinic who would do it for $25(!). The money to cover the surgery(which is far more expensive than $25) has to come from somewhere, though.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great that you're having both of your new babies neutered/spayed. Phineas looks a lot like a big, cuddly boy who belongs to my mother. $200 is a GREAT deal for a spay and neuter. Unfortunately, there are limited funds involved with spay/neuter organizations so they really need to help no-low income individuals first(and there are A LOT of low income pet owners). I agree there should ideally be more, though, as I've seen plenty of cases where people can clearly afford this very necessary surgery but would rather not spend the money. I met a woman who was in that boat(very well-off financially) but she finally decided to neuter her cat when she heard about a traveling spay/neuter clinic who would do it for $25(!). The money to cover the surgery(which is far more expensive than $25) has to come from somewhere, though.
I get so angry when I hear this kind of stuff. People like this treat animals like property instead of actual living beings.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate that also I love cat and animals. My Tabby is the princess and doesn't want any other cat around she will get jelouse and won't come to you for about an hour or so. Whatever she wants she can get if I have. The. Money for it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 what he looks like, he might be the sort of cat the Maine Coon was selected from.  It's a natural breed e.g. selected from cats in a particular area so finding pure 100% moggies that are reministent of them is to be expected.
Talking about Maine-Coon-somewhat-alikes; "possibly cousins with the same ancestry":

Here I think is another, nice example.

The treadstarter doesnt ask what look alike she is, he just wants to show up his beautiful "feral" he is helping.   Myself I think she is not only pretty and cute, but also a good look alike.  What do you say?

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254064/my-friendly-feral-pics