Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Maine Coon? Ragdoll? Persian? Help !!

Discussion in 'Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like?' started by taaay1or, Mar 11, 2019.

1. taaay1or

taaay1or Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Mar 11, 2019
    58754363-EA1A-47D9-9224-8963722E12B1.jpeg 519C31AA-51AC-4810-A10D-DC8E8E708668.jpeg 9895E65A-976F-49A8-8DC3-3CC044BE217E.jpeg AB621E94-2A2F-406A-B842-E3C8D7D8E42C.jpeg 02344779-1812-494E-BE4D-C386C8065DEF.jpeg D4078CF0-4831-41A8-8E41-73BF1B21A26D.jpeg You know what they say, curiosity killed the cat, and i am curious about mine!
    my kitten, guppy, is about 13 months old. he has this giant fluffy tail, his fur is the softest of any cat i've ever pet (& i've pet a lot of kitties), and his personality is so gentle. he's extremely skittish around anyone other than me, and when strangers meet him, and he runs, they have a hard time believing how he curls up next to me every night, wanting to be spooned and sleep with his head in my hand.
    when he stretches out he's between 2.5-3ft long, front paws to back paws, and growing! his coat isn't overly thick or long, aside from his tail, and he has the fluffy "beard".
    i adopted him from my local shelter back in july 2018, so i have no idea as to what he could possibly have in him gene-wise. i have a feeling that he is not just a domestic medium hair, that he's a mix with one of the bigger, gentle-giant type breeds.
    this kitten has my whole entire heart, and i want to know as much about him as i can. any thoughts?

PaulinPilsen, SpoiledKits, ArchyCat and 2 others purraised this.

2. Maria Bayote

Maria Bayote Mama of 4 Cats, 3 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans Super Cat

Jan 15, 2018
    Doha
    What a handsome boy!

He does not seem to look like a mix of a maine coon or a persian to me. But let's wait for our other TCS members who are experts on breed distinction.

May you have many many wonderful years with this beautiful boy.

bear and catsknowme purraised this.

3. war&wisdom

war&wisdom TCS Member Super Cat

Aug 2, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    He's a tuxedo (black and white bicolor) domestic longhair -- or medium, if you prefer, but medium-length hair comes from the longhair gene. He's so cute!

Most cats (90-95%) are no particular breed. His gentle personality doesn't indicate anything about breed; my domestic shorthair is incredibly gentle. Unlike dogs, cat breeds are quite rare and don't determine temperament as rigidly.

Maria Bayote and calico man purraised this.

4. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    :lovecat: He is gorgeous!! My Maine Coon, JC, considers MC to be more attitude than pedigree :lol:
    I see in your cat much of what I like about my Maine Coon. In addition to his long, rectangular shape and classic long, fluffy tail, your boy has the boxy muzzle with large, round whisker pads that I find adorable. The eyes look rather oblique, a MC trait, but I am unsure if they are set as much on a slant as most Coonies. The ears are the MC shape and seem have the right set (the inner bottom points of the two ears are the same distance apart from each other, at the top of the head, as the base points of the ear. Measure the distance of the base of the ear - from outer to inner point- and compare it to the space between the ears, where your hand pets the head). The long, tall, erect ears look like the style now preferred by the public although they dont seem tufted. And your boy has a nice ruff ( you call it his beard). You can check for the fur between the toes that act as snowshoes.
    Typically, MCs are not shy at all. My boy once stowed away in the plumber's van and casually appeared when the plumber was almost to the next town
    over - JC was probably delighted at enjoying a car ride without wearing the mandatory harness & seat belt ;) Another quirky trait is, like many MCs, JC loves kids, even babies & toddlers.
    This is JC - he will be 15 in July. He has an allergy problem in this photo - he can take loratadine but despises getting meds. (note* when taking photos for the vet, avoid the urge to clean up the gunkies for the pic)
    20180818_182834.jpg
    and he loves kids. This is with a child whom he just met - a bewildered little girl who was escaping domestic violence (she and her mom stayed with us for a week)
    20180917_200915.jpg

5. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Maine Coon, Ragdoll, etc. describe a purebred breed. DMH, or domestic medium hair, describes any medium haired cat that does not have papers. Then, to make it more confusing, Tuxedo, Tabby, Calico, all describe the color of the cat. Since your cat does not have registered papers of his lineage, he is a Tuxedo Domestic Medium Hair. If you care to spend the money, a DNA test would reveal his lineage. The tail, his size, his gentleness, his boxy muzzle, all point to Maine Coon to me, so he might have a lot of that in him. But there are also many other breeds with those traits. No matter what, he is a very beautiful, precious boy, and you are so lucky to haev him in your life!

6. taaay1or

Mar 11, 2019

7. amethyst

amethyst TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I could believe he has some Maine Coon in him, especially if Maine coons are common in your area, and he does remind me of my Maine Coon mixes (my avatar pic is one of them). Keep in mind though that Maine Coons were created from interbreeding of local and ship cats in the Maine area, so they share traits with lots of breeds. As others have said domestic long/medium hair is not a breed it's a domestic cat that has long hair. Without pedigree papers for him or at least his parents, it's pretty much impossible to know for sure what specific breed or breeds, if any, he might be made up of.

If you are really curious you can get DNA tests but understand that they don't actually tell you what breed/breed mix they are like the dog ones, just what breed(s) the cat has traits most similar to.

calico man and catsknowme purraised this.

8. angels mommy

angels mommy TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 5, 2011
    Wilmington,NC
    He's a georgous boy! !

catsknowme purraised this.

9. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    A black Maine coon and a white Persian mated

10. Uncled

Uncled TCS Member Young Cat

Feb 28, 2019
    Connecticut U.S.A.
    A beautiful cat!

11. calico man

calico man TCS Member Adult Cat

Mar 2, 2017
    Lodi, CA
    He does look like a cutie and welcome to TCS! Out of curiosity, by the look of the back of your hand in one picture you were keeping track of something? Is it each time you tell Guppy you love him per day? Lol!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019

12. PaulinPilsen

PaulinPilsen TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 4, 2019
    Chicago
    Wow! Your kitty looks a lot like mine! I just adopted her. She is 13 months old and her name is Lisi.

[​IMG]

13. taaay1or

Mar 11, 2019
    i'm a lifeguard, and there's a man who comes to my pool and swims for miles. was particularly bored that day and tallied on my hand, wanting to know how many laps he did without so much as a water break. he did 116, that i counted. jeez!

calico man purraised this.

14. taaay1or

Mar 11, 2019
    my boy has the fur between the toes, you can see it in most of the pics if you look close! that and he has fur in his ears, it just sticks straight out, lol! its hard to see in pics. my guppy is definitely veeeery shy, but to me, he's such a snuggly boy.
    he's currently curled up in bed next to me, recieving his nightly cuddles and scritches. he comes to me every night for his bedtime lovin', it's the cutest thing !!

15. taaay1or

Mar 11, 2019
    for half a second i thought, wow, what if this is guppy's sibling !
    he had had another sibling (don't know the gender) come with him to the shelter, but they were adopted the day they were available, he stayed for a few weeks before i got to him :'(
    i've always wondered what that sibling looked like, if they were a bonded pair, etc

PaulinPilsen purraised this.

16. calico man

calico man TCS Member Adult Cat

Mar 2, 2017
    Lodi, CA
    I figured it had to be something interesting...!

17. Anime Chick

Anime Chick TCS Member Adult Cat

Jul 26, 2018
    Maine Coon are very blatantly obvious. They are MASSIVE cats, much bigger than a standard cat. If the cat is a normal sized cat, then you can check that one off~. If its IS bigger than a standard cat, then its definitely not a Persian. They're too small. Same with a Rag Doll.

18. posiepurrs

posiepurrs TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    I would lean toward a Maine Coon mix. I don't see any Persian in him. A very handsome boy!

Anime Chick purraised this.

19. lutece

lutece TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2018
    I would describe him as a very handsome black and white domestic longhair! He does have a similar look to a Maine Coon, which might just be coincidence, or he might have some Maine Coon ancestry. Most longhaired cats, even those that look similar to Maine Coons, are not any particular breed.

The colors don't quite mix that way :) The gene for white spotting is different from the gene for solid white.

20. Father of furbabies

Father of furbabies TCS Member Adult Cat

Nov 25, 2017
    Rainsville, Alabama
    I'm pretty sure my furkid is a maine coon mix also and he shows a lot of your kits traits in temperament and size. They are a love bug, more than most breeds I think.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]