Maine Coon or just big boned??

TaraMurphy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Jasper, he is five months old and weighs 4kg. I'm thinking (and hoping!) he might be a Maine Coon but wanted other people's opinions, he is a rescue that was abandoned at two weeks old. He has tufts of hair coming out of the pads of his paws, has a scruffy neck and a long fluffy tail. I tried to get him from as many different angles as I could. I don't know why he loves sleeping on the kitty litter mat so much... Thank you in advance!
Thanks!!
Jasper 1.jpg
Jasper 2.jpg
Jasper 3.jpg

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a domestic long hair unless he is papered. There is no way of telling with cats. Might have something in there along the way, who knows.

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks like he could have some in him, but there's no way to know for sure.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. The in USA most common big breed the Maine Coon, tends to have a massive almost quadruped jaws / muzzle. He seems to have this too? there is no good pic of his face.

So, the money bet he is a domestic longhair. But not impossible he has an Ancestor.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a 5 month old who weighs 8 lbs (I had to google kg to lbs to figure that out :) ). Some say he has Bengal in him and that is why he is so large but his sister is a Skinny Mini so 🤷‍♀️ . I just go with big boned so I don't make him feel bad about himself.

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know the statistics but I see more Main Coons with lynx tips than Domestic Long Hairs. I would bet DLH simply because there are no papers or proof of breeder, but he does have that Maine Coon look :redheartpump: Its hard to see his face, but as he grows his face shape (and paw tufts?) might give away some hints as well.
It would be really fun to get his DNA tested. You never know if he's had some pure-bred relatives.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Domestic longhair. Barely. Might grow longer as he matures or not.
I do not see Maine Coon in him, plus it would be unlikely. Good breeders don't cross their cats with domestic cats and are very careful to be sure no accidental mating occurs.
His tail, is completely wrong for an MC, as is his body type. He has no lynx tips nor toe tufting either. FYI lunx tips are not the same as having furry ears. Lots of cats have that.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't see a purebred MC, no lynx point ear tips and the muzzle is different. He might have some MC in him but norwegian forest cat and siberian forest cat are large cats to. That being said some regular domestic long hair cats are just big cats. My boy Fynn is a massive cat, he's 12lbs but very long and solid. And very long as you can see lol. I know he's not MC or a mc mix as his mom was a short hair and we believe his dad was to (14lb tabby dsh). Some cats just have big cat genes.
20201011_140209.jpg

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to smile when someone describes a 12 lb male cat as massive ... I have two female lynx point/ siamese Manx mixes that are 14 and 14.5 lb and they are not grossly overweight - just large framed tigers ;-) - hearing them land after a 4 ft jump is a small earthquake ;-) . The Ragdolls boys we have have the potential to get much bigger if they take after they dad ... There are some very large sized domestic short and longhairs out there ...

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They probably refer to his build, not his weight. I would never call my 15lb massive in the slightest. He is about 3 or 4lbs overweight. He is a chunky boy with the frame of a 12lb regular old DLH. But without looking at him if someone says their cat is 15lbs you would probably think they are rather large.