Maine Coon kitten chewing fur off tail

AutumnSapphire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am in dire need of some advise.. I recently got a Maine Coon kitten (Albus), I got him from a breeder in Georgia. He was flown here (no cargo), and I will start by saying that I have a 10mo old maltipoo pup named Snow. I did a slow introduction between the two, for the first week, I kept Albus just in my room until he got acclimated with the space. Then on a weekend, I introduced Albus to my living room where my pupper is, and now they are the best of friends. They chase each other around the house and play (sometimes Albus instigates lol)

but just this week, I noticed the tip of Albus’s tail missing a chunk of fur :( I initially thought that it may have been my maltipoo playing too rough with her). But then I witnessed Albus just going to town on the tip of his tail, he’s now missing the long fur on the tip of his tail :( I don’t know if it’s stress or anxiety. Because he would just do it out of nowhere, when he’s laying down or chilling.

he had his first round of shots and vet checked by the time I got him. I’m getting ready to take him to the vet for his next round of shots, he doesn’t have flea treatments yet. I did also switch him out from the Purina Pro Plan kitten food that the breeder had him on, to TikiCat. I did a VERY slow transition, that lasted two weeks. He has no diarrhea whatsoever, but because I’m thinking he may be sensitive or allergic to something on the TikiCat food, I’m now transitioning him to Acana.

Any thoughts or advise? I’m really sad that his tail is no longer that beautiful fluffy tail :(

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I’m not making a diagnosis or anything, but does your cat also get rippling skin on her back? And does she try to “run away” from herself? There is something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome that you may want to read about, as some of the symptoms you’re describing remind me a little bit of my cat, who I think has a mild case of it. Especially if the vets cannot find anything physical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AutumnSapphire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I’m not making a diagnosis or anything, but does your cat also get rippling skin on her back? And does she try to “run away” from herself? There is something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome that you may want to read about, as some of the symptoms you’re describing remind me a little bit of my cat, who I think has a mild case of it. Especially if the vets cannot find anything physical.
Thank you for responding. And no, Albus doesn’t. I just looked at his tail and I touched all around the area where he’s chewed his fur off, there’s no sensitivity.. no twitching, no yelping or meowing to indicate pain or anything. When he’s chewing on it, he’s just laying down chewing it. Never when he just got done playing with my pup either, he would just plop down somewhere (floor, couch, cat tree) and I’d catch him just going to town on his tail…

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you recently adopted Albus it possibly is just stress while he is still adjusting to a new environment, and maybe being around a dog for the first time. Be sure to get your vet's opinion about this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Obsessively Biting/chewing/licking The Tip Of The Tail
Cat Behavior Problems - Compulsive Disorders in Cats

You mentioned that your new baby has not had flea treatments yet. That could be a piece of the puzzle. As I researched this in TCS, I did find that you had ruled out hyperesthesia which is a major cause of tail mutilation. I have a cat dxed with FHS but in her case it is preceded by a huge seizure type event, certainly something that you would have seen if this were to be FHS.

Good that you have a vet visit scheduled and can have a discussion about this from all angles. I have had dogs and cats consistently for years. As you describe, your young dog and cat are not great friends which is exactly what would be expected given their ages and a proper introduction, so I don't think that is the cause at all.

Is Albus pulling out fur or is actual mutilation of the tail occurring? Those could be different issues.