Maine Coon Eating And Legs Disorder

nsbraz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My MC cat is 5 mos old. The problems being faced are the sudden habit of eating sand and following that his back legs started weakening and loosing control. When he walks his legs bounce constantly. What could it be the origin of both problems ? Are they interconnected ? Would that be case of cerebellar hypoplasia ? Is this a genetic desease inhereted from parents ? Are there chances of recovery or is it a fatal problem ? Many tks.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your kitten seen a vet for these problems yet? Weakness and loss of control in the back legs could be serious; it could be caused by any number of things, not necessarily cerebellar hypoplasia. We can't diagnose your kitten from a description of these symptoms. I would try to get to the vet as soon as possible.

Did you get your kitten from a breeder? If so, have you spoken with your cat's breeder about these problems?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nsbraz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has your kitten seen a vet for these problems yet? Weakness and loss of control in the back legs could be serious; it could be caused by any number of things, not necessarily cerebellar hypoplasia. We can't diagnose your kitten from a description of these symptoms. I would try to get to the vet as soon as possible.

Did you get your kitten from a breeder? If so, have you spoken with your cat's breeder about these problems?
Many thanks for your reply. My cat is being assisted by a Vet. He took the cat to a vet clinic for exams (hemogram,biochemic,snap fPL,ultrasonography, urine) and all looked ok. The ultrasonography revealed a small quantity of biliar mud. The cat had two sessions of intestinal wash (enema)because of the blockage.Now he´s ok.

nsbraz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Failed to mention that I took my MC from a breeder. They told me that they have never seen something like that. My cat´s brothers and sisters are fine.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for your reply. My cat is being assisted by a Vet. He took the cat to a vet clinic for exams (hemogram,biochemic,snap fPL,ultrasonography, urine) and all looked ok. The ultrasonography revealed a small quantity of biliar mud. The cat had two sessions of intestinal wash (enema)because of the blockage.Now he´s ok.
Now I'm confused. Is your kitten OK or is he still having symptoms? Does the vet believe the weakness in his back legs had something to do with blockage? Or is this a new symptom?

nsbraz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the confusion. My kitten is not ok. The blockage was solved, but he continues with the problems in his legs, that is, unstabiity,weakness. The Vet does not see relation between the blockage and the weakness in his legs. In addition to that he does not feed himself spontaneously.I have to feed him with a syringe.

nsbraz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He suggested that the medication prescribed continues. I see little improvement. It seems to me that he will never recover. Nevertheless I will have an agenda with another Vet on monday to get a second opinion.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are getting a second opinion!

As far as cerebellar hypoplasia, as far as I know it is not a heritable disorder. It is usually thought to be caused by panleukopenia virus but can have other causes. However, from your description of your kitten's symptoms it could be a lot of different things. Getting a second opinion is a great idea at this point.

nsbraz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet´s final diagnosis was spinal muscular atrophy. No treatment available. To put an end to our suffering, we decided to let him sleep. Sad.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am confused.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that spinal muscular atrophy is a condition that is neither painful nor fatal and affected cats can live a comfortable life indoors.

Then why was he put to sleep?