Maine coon cat

nailbender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wife is thinking about one. Does anyone have one looking ofr tips about them. We dont want a cat that sheds alot?

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coons have very thick fur, so expect a lot of shedding. However, if you're willing to keep up with DAILY brushings, and maybe a high quality food to help keep the coat in good condition, then it shouldn't be a problem.
My cat is a coon mix. I have to keep up with brushing or he gets bad hairballs.

Personally, I don't know of any breeds of cat that shed less but with all the knowledgeable people on these forums, someone is bound to give you a more definite answer. I am pretty sure all cats shed though, so proper grooming is a must in any case. But if you're really concerned, I doubt getting a large, extremely thick coated cat, such as a maine coon is a good idea.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a DSH who doesn't shed a whole lot, I just have to lint roll the furniture regularly. And I have never brushed her, ever.

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a silver coon named Baby. He has a very long, thick coat that we brush or comb a couple times a week. Coons have a very distinct personality and either love or hate a brushing. Mine actually likes his head, mane, back and chest done...but leave the rear shanks and butt alone!!!

My solution to the hair problem..I bought a Dyson Animal. I use it 3 x a week and it's the best investment I EVER made!!

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As for a personal pet-you will be hard pressed to find a cat who will bond with you better. Maine Coons are wonderful!!

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Look into a breed that's smaller and does not have an undercoat. You'll have you hands full with a maine coon

I have 2 LaPerms and they're incredible as far as maintenance. No undercoat, no need to brush [do not mat] and very little shedding. They're also incredibly warm, since they have no second coat/undercoat. Check out ASPCA site for more breed info.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nailbender

wife is thinking about one. Does anyone have one looking ofr tips about them. We dont want a cat that sheds alot?
My Swiffer is a Main Coon/Siamese mix. She is a complete sweetie pie. Best personality out any of my 4 meezers.

Yes, she sheds. I don't know about "a lot". All 4 of mine shed to a certain extent but I'm real big on daily brushings for all 4. They get a brushing every morning followed by a feline Greenies treat. It really keeps their shedding down and helps eliminate hair balls. It is also a great way for me to bond with them. Especially when they know their fave treat is involved

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have a ton of fur, and shed a lot. You need to brush them every day!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We always thought Speedboat had Maine Coon in his genes. He certainly had the characteristics, even the M on his forehead. Anyway he was the sweetest cat who loved me better than any cat I ever had. I had to brush him frequently because his hair would mat around his behind. I would not have traded him for anything. He was a lap cat and so affectionate. I say go for it. Just get a good brush and start early so the cat will be used to the grooming.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

We always thought Speedboat had Maine Coon in his genes. He certainly had the characteristics, even the M on his forehead.
Just had to point out that the "M" theory about Maine Coons is false. Virtually all tabby colored cats have and M on their head. Just go to Google images and type in Tabby cat. You'll see it.

Parker has all the characteristics that are common in them too. Almost all the personality traits and some of the looks. They are a great cat, that's for sure!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nailbender

IMO long hair cats are simply far more attractive, however, the shedding is more noticeable since the hairs are longer and they are a lot of maintenance and need regular brushing and on occasion even butt shaving if they have a bout of soft stools for some reason.

If you have to ask, stick with a shorthair IMO, at least as a first cat. A Maine Coon or Ragdoll were actually my top two choices when I was first researching cats, but then decided on a pair of nice healthy moderate size shorthairs instead after speaking with some experts and evaluating my lifestyle.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly they both shed the same amount. I can comb them out for hours and they still both shed the same. My short haired is black so you can see her fur easily. I thought getting a short haired cat would result in less shedding but as I already said I've found that to be wrong. I've heard the Ragdoll breed of cat doesn't shed much and there is a hairless breed of cat called Lynx I believe but they aren't that attractive.

moonrose777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a four year old male Maine Coon and he sheds the least of my three cats and he has the long silky hair. Don't hesitate to get a Coon. They are the funniest cats you will ever meet.I have read that they are the comedians of the cat world and Alfie lives up to that.  I was flat on my back in bed after knee surgery when my daughter brought him to me. He was about nine weeks old and already a character. He thought having me stuck in one place made me a perfect toy. He would play with me and then get this wild idea and jump from the end of my bed and seemingly sail through the air and land ten or twelve feet away. Kittens don't do that but this one did. He was wonderful entertainment as I recuperated as he had me laughing even when I was in pain. Once I was back in the land of the living I resumed caring for my grandchildren while their parents worked and they adored him. He loved to go for rides in the doll stroller. He would hop into the seat and lean out so he could look behind to see if anyone was going to push. If he didn't get a response he would yowl at them and of course someone would come push him. His greatest delight was leaning over the side and taking a swipe as he passed a dog or the other cats. We had a set of plastic alphabet letters on the refrigerator so they could learn them. He decided they were much more fun on the floor to be batted all over the house. They started calling him Alphabet and that's how he got his name, Alphie the Alphabet cat. The first year I had him I got my Christmas tree set up with plans to put the ornaments on the next day but Alphie thought it was a new cat toy. He would run through the house as fast as he could and run straight up the tree and hang onto the top while it rocked back and forth. I never decorated it that year as I knew it was hopeless. He would leap from the top of the tree and land on the sofa that was six feet away, run back through the house and up the tree again. I had never enjoyed a Christmas tree as much as that year nor have I since. By the next Christmas he was mature enough that when I told him no he left it alone except for a few ornaments along the bottom that were just too tempting to resist. I made sure the were not breakable. He is still super silly but everyone who knows him loves him to pieces. He helps answer the door because he knows he's going to be played with when the door bell rings. Home decor is sometimes a challenge as he is so big that he bumps into things and then if they made enough of an event when they hit the floor he is apt to try it again. It's very strange to see a cat pushing a candle along until it falls off the piano.. He seems to know what he can knock over and what not to. The brass candle sticks get it a lot but I don't get upset so he knows he can get away with it. When he hits other things that I don't want knocked over he seems to not have near as much trouble avoiding them. He just knows what he can get away with. I can't think of anything of value that he has broken. He is a climbing fool and spend a lot of time on top of the cabinets. I once had a tall man working on my dishwasher and I walked back into the room just in time to see Alf lean out to smack the guy's ball cap off. The poor man jumped a foot but then became another of Alfie's friends. He is just such a big funny goof that everyone loves him. I wouldn't want two of them in the house but I never want to be without a Maine Coon. I volunteer for animal welfare and often have a strange dog or two in the house and he gets along with all of them. Some come thinking my cats are fun to chase but Alfie never runs unless it's him chasing them. He has never had a bad experience and assumes they are all here to enjoy one another. He is declawed and neutered so he never, well, almost never goes outside. He decided to make a run for the outside recently and when I went out later I figured he would have had enough and would come in but he didn't come when I called. I could hear him meowing but couldn't see him even with a flash light. I just hadn't looked high enough. I finally pointed the light up and there was his sweet face looking at me from the roof. I couldn't imagine how he got up there and knew he wouldn't be able to get down so went to get my neighbor to come with a big ladder. We got the ladder up in time to meet him coming down the walk along the side of the house. He had taken his declawed self up the tree that leans over the house to get up and then back down. He has repeated it a couple of times now and to him it's just good fun. Maine Coons might not be for the timid cat owner but if you are up to it they are wonderful entertainers. Like I said, everyone loves the big goof. I hope there is room in your life for one.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons are a long hair breed, thus they require daily combing, or you risk getting matts, as is the case, with any LH cat, breed or not.  They are also know, as the gentle giants, and they tend to be very laid back, like to be on your lap, or where ever you are. I have one that even fetches. But cats have their own personality, just as humans do, and not every cat of every breed, will follow that breeds charateristics.  Males tend to be more friendly and laid back, than females, but that is not to say, in every case.  Red males are very laid back, red females, tend to have the attitude.  Tortishell, calico, which has the red, they call it the torti-tude, are going to be females.  Males with that color, are very very rare, and are sterile, altho, many many yrs ago, I had a male torti. Something about the XX and XY, which I have heard the story a zillion times, but today it escapes me, lol.   But again, this is not to say, in every case.

Maine Coons are prone to HCM. Its a genetic defect. Thats not to say, everyone will have it or get it. I had one, that had it, I have 2 that don't have it.  If you should decide, to get a MC, ask, the breeder, if they test, for HCM. If they don't, run, do not walk away.  Even if they do test, there is no guarantee, they won't get it at some point in time, not to say, they will either.  It just means, that at that point in time, they don't have it, and it lessens your odds of getting it, as opposed to not testing, and keeping positive cats in the breeding program.  It just means, they are prone to it, as are other breeds, and other breeds also have their genetic issues.  

http://www.cfainc.org/client/breedMaineCoon.aspx

Best of luck, with whatever cat or breed you decide on.  

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had mostly long haired cats growing up, and when I got older and moved out on my own I got a short haired cat. He shed just as much as any of the long haired cats. I now have a long haired cat again that I adopted after the short-haired one died, and he actually sheds LESS ( I think because I know more about nutrition now and he's fed a very high guality grain free wet food diet plus raw, so his coat is in better condition than the short haired cat's was). 

So, if you get a Maine Coone, brush regularly and feed a high quality wet or raw diet to keep their coat healthy.

Otherwise, if you're really worried about cat hair you could go for a Rex cat or a Sphinx (hairless).

Last edited:

Polixines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine, a 1yr old I found in a shelter, likes to relax in the bathroom sink. All he'd need is a cigar to complete the picture
of utter relaxation. He does not though have a good relationship with an older resident cat of 10 yrs. He chases her a lot, I think to play but the other cat, for awhile the top cat, now is afraid of the Maine Coon. He used to bite and scratch me, like a little kitten playing. I corrected that from info from a very knowledgeable person about cats. My vet said he's just a baby, and it will take him a couple of more years to mature some. Maine Coons can also keep growing 3 to 5 yrs.
Mine is like having a 3yr old child around. He's into everything and has tremendous energy so playing with one is a necessity to work some of that off.

They are great clowns and mine intentionally does things he knows will make me laugh - a stand up comic. He's shedding a lot now, I thought this might be their shedding season. Other times a medium shedder. But the fur is different from other cats. The shed fur must be from his undercoat. It lies like little puff-balls on the rug and comes up easy with a small vacuum, not even using the brush, just suction.

They are great cats.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short hair cats seem to leave little single strands of hairs all over the place. If they lay down in one place a few times, there will be lots of single hairs. Pretty hard to vacuum up, Pretty hard to brush gone also.
Long hair cats seam to leave "globs" of fur instead of strands. Little bit easier to vacuum or brush gone.