Magnetic Screen Door

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I have a magnetic screen door that I have on my door so I can leave the door open. Opie found out that she can probably squeeze under the screen to escape. She doesn’t know that the middle part separates for us to walk through. She also hasn’t really TRIED to run under, but I don’t want her to figure out that she can go under. She just kinda paws under on the carpet and puts her nosebleed underneath it. I didn’t want to go to the extremes of a bay gate yet, wondering if there are ways to block her from getting underneath. I was thinking one of those door socks that people have for drafts? They’re heavy so she wouldn’t be able to move it physically! Does anyone else have any ideas?

I attached a picture of the underside of the screen.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she has figured it out, you have to expect that the next move is out the door. I have had cats figure out how to get out of a standard screen, such as those on sliding glass door screens. You need to err on the side of caution.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you find weights to add to the door socks that would weigh a whole lot more than a door sock alone? I am thinking the door sock, by itself, isn't going to 'cut it'. The door sock could be cut open and the weights added to it, then the sock could be sewn shut. If you are handy with sewing, you could probably create something like that on your own.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Punch some small holes across the bottom edge and zip tie something like a 3/8 wooden dowel across the bottom of each side.
OR, if that lower seam is hollow, slide a dowel into it. All the way through, across the bottom.