Maggots

Lunabbg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitten has recently started eating soft food, my sister was mixing it to give her some food. My sister said she saw a maggot in her food, I'm worried about what's causing maggots in her food, we've been feeding her these foods and haven't saw one before. Also, what should I do if she's been eating maggots?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How long is the food being left out Lunabbg Lunabbg ? Are you feeding her wet food from a can or are you making your own food?

I really doubt that she would eat a maggot, but if the food is being left out long enough for flies to lay eggs and the eggs to hatch it's not good for her.

Could you tell us more about the type of wet food she's getting and where it comes from?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be a maggot, but a grain in the food. Was it actually moving? Maggots won't hurt her if they are eaten, people actually eat them in different parts of the world, they provide protein. But a real maggot in the food means the food is spoiled. maggots only eat decaying flesh. Her stomach acids would quickly kill them.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the food, sometimes chunks of congealed fat can look similar to maggots, too.