Made A Decision Today

Aruna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great idea to get a second cat! :)
I think you can read a lot on the internet (there are great books too!) about how to get them to like each other and live well together. With a few precautions they will live a happy life together.

Also great that you were thinking about getting the cat from a shelter :)
Best, Aruna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter says I may have to wait another week :bawling:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's being spayed today, and I can pick her up tomorrow!

Now, the last time I had a kitten spayed was when I was fourteen, and my mother took care of that. Any tips?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Incision might be a little swollen, not unusual to leak a small amount of clear, bloody fluid. If a lump develops, that is normal, it is swelling and stitches form the inside. She may refuse to eat for a day, make sure she is offered yummy treats and plenty of water. I have never used a cone on any of my spays and have never had any problems. Keep any other cats away from her and give her a quiet place to recover, she might not want to move around much for a couple of days. All the luck and keep us posted!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Incision might be a little swollen, not unusual to leak a small amount of clear, bloody fluid. If a lump develops, that is normal, it is swelling and stitches form the inside. She may refuse to eat for a day, make sure she is offered yummy treats and plenty of water. I have never used a cone on any of my spays and have never had any problems. Keep any other cats away from her and give her a quiet place to recover, she might not want to move around much for a couple of days. All the luck and keep us posted!
Thank you!

Would using the litter box be an issue?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, unless she lays in it. It is said to try to get a litter that has less dust, but all my ferals go in the dirt, and have been fine. As in any operation, make sure she IS using the littler box. They usually do that before they will release them. Anesthesia can affect the intestines and how they work, it slows everything down. So that is one reason why plenty of liquids to keep from constipation. My vet gives an injection for a week long antibiotic, because most of mine are ferals. You might get an antibiotic that needs to be put in a tiny amount of tuna juice or a tiny amount of wet food to make sure she gets it, you really don't want her struggling against you giving it in her mouth. Once the tiny amount is gone you can feed as normal.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a corn-based litter, so dust shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup:

Since I live in such a small place, she'll have to stay in my bathroom. Should I bring her into my room at night (door shut, of course)?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats are sore and tired after spaying, others are hyperactive from the meds. When my kitten got spayed, she was a little demon for the next few days. :p Jumping everywhere, getting into anything. I was worried she might tear her stitches so I tried confining her in a cage. She exerted herself even more trying to get out, so I finally gave up and let her terrorize the apartment for a while. ;) Just fyi, lol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had one little stray female too taht came home, and instead of laying around like most of the rest who were woozy, etc. she jumped right out of the carrier and acted completely like nothing had happened. I had never seen this before. It didn't slow her down a bit! My Chrissy laid around for a week and refused food and water for days. I think it depends on how much anesthesia they are given, what kind, and for how long, and how they themselves react to it.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I really nailed it with her name. She already responds to it. It had occurred to me that she could just be responding to my voice, but I'm currently in bed with what I'm hoping is a cold and not the flu, so my voice is kind of messed up. She still came when I called her name :thumbsup: