Mackerel's taken a turn for the worse. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes everyone! Mackerelly is chuffed with the compliments on her gorgeous coat and hammy posing. :p

Booktigger- she has another 6 days on her course of antibiotics, and I'm not sure about the Anaplex because that seems to be a wormer? I thought it was kidney medication until the vet said something about how it's a "general somethingsomething" and I looked it up at home (this was just after he told me that her anaemia was better so I was far too busy kissing and squeezing her to be paying too much attention. XD). She may only have the one round of that to go, but I'll talk to the vet and see what he says. She'll be on the Fortiker 5 for the rest of her life, unfortunately her kidneys have been damaged to the point of CRF I think... Or maybe not that bad, but badly enough that she needs the drugs. Because her kidneys are still showing improvement we're not sure about that. I have an appointment with the vet on Friday, and we'll see how her bloodtest looks then and I'll ask about the state of her kidneys. They're still swollen- she's so thin that you can feel them very very easily when you run your hands over her sides. The other med she's on is just the Nutrigel supplement, and I'm just going to keep giving that to her until the tube runs out or she puts on some more weight. :-)

She was strong enough to jump up onto my bed this morning.
Up until now I've been sleeping on the floor in the loungeroom so that I can be close to her and her food and her litter tray and her bed, as she often comes and sleeps with me during the night and I didn't want her to have to go too far. But she jumped up to my bed this morning! It was obviously a lot of effort for her, but she made it, and up until now she's been having to clamber or climb up on things. Another sign of improvement. :-)

My Dad saw her yesterday, for the first time since Monday... and he was shocked at how good she looks. She's improved a lot in just a week. :-)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update, I've been watching for one!

Mackerel!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am so pleased that she is still doing so well, even if it does mean being on meds for the rest of her life.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Carolina, sorry to worry you! I've been getting ready for university to start again next week- rushed off my feet!

Apart from some hiccups with her medication - she HATES the pills and it's been hard figuring out a way to get them to her without a fierce battle which stresses her out... -sigh- and a slight concern about her kidneys- one seems to be a bit more enlarged than previously... though that might be because the other kidney has become less swollen, so in comparison it could seem bigger. As regards to her meds, so far the best way seems to be to crush them up and mix them in some milk and then syringe feed it to her, but she HATES that too... it's just quicker and less traumatic than the pills... where she starts foaming at the mouth and hissing and growling at me. :-( Hopefully we'll get into a routine. :-)

The best news of all? Mackerel ate a whole sachet of kitten food this morning and I just put out a second one which she's scarfing eagerly. She's also been eating a lot of ham tidbits and liver treats. I think she's been putting on weight, but we'll find out the truth of that at the vet on Friday.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How things can change in about a week! How far you have come from despair to smiles.

I am so happy to see she is doing sooooo well!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update! I would advise against giving her any ham though. It's too salty for cats.

Just hold her between your knees facing out, slip the pill in her mouth and as far back as you can, and put a swipe of yogurt or butter on her mouth. She will lick it off and down the pill goes.

If the pills are bitter, get some empty gelatin capsules and put the pills in those, she won't taste a thing.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh really?
That's a shame, she loves ham. It's just about her favourite thing.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Mack is doing so much better.
One of my girls is a 'ham freak', too, but I just give it to her a couple of times a week. You might want to ask your vet about the saltiness affecting Mack's kidneys, just to be on the safe side.
Have you tried pill pockets to get Mackerel's meds into her? They worked for my hard-to-pill girl until she got wise and refused to eat them.
I recommended them to an Uncle and his cats take them just fine.

Continued coming your little girl's way.

catsnotkids

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd stay away from ham:

A quick google search of an ASPCA chat meantions bacon
so I would think would be same.

http://www.aspca.org/online-communit...nscript-2.aspx

The same goes for bacon, where fat content is concerned―and foods that are high in salt could cause excessive urination, thirst and even metabolic disturbances. The bottom line? Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t worry about what your cats have already sampled. Just avoid making a habit of letting them nibble on these food items.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mackerel seems a little weaker today.
I called the vet and he says bring her in at our scheduled appointment tomorrow, nothing to do until then. She's drinking and weeing and eating... just seems a little weak. I'm a bit worried.

jazzmin_flower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Struggling with pilling cats is a challenge -- each cat has his or her own idea on whether to swallow willingly or not. I've had cats bite me spit and froth at the mouth, twist the tongue and work the pill out of their mouths, walk away and spit the pill out, or wretch it up only minutes later.

Here is one gadget that worked for me before and is working for my current patient cat, Prima, right now:
Which I follow up with a spray bottle or a plastic syringe of bottled water:
Put your pet on a smooth flat surface at waist level for you, possibly on a towel or rubber mat, in a well-lit room. Open her little mouth so that you can see the back of her throat and get a good look at that. Then take the loaded pill gun and slip it into her mouth and eject the pills as centered as you can on the back of the tongue. Follow up quickly with a spritz of water until she swallows, but not too much water or she might choke. I have two plastic syringe sizes to try also for the water:
and

I like the 1ml oral syringe provided for free at my veterinarian's clinic.

Also, since your cat is having so many bad days and doesn't seem to be having much luck with her kidney problem, have you considered trying herbs or homeopathic remedies? Is there another veterinarian in your area who would be willing to try this for Mackeral? You can study up on herbs recommended for kidney disease and try them. Mackeral might really purrfur herbs and if you can find one of these alternative veterinarians, your cat may get that relief she so desperately needs and feel better longer.

Here is my pretty girl cat, Prima. She recently had two odd illnesses where she took Amoxicillin and Reglan for the first ailment that had her down 17 mysterious hours. Last week she took ill again and had Baytril (enrofloxacin) and Reglan. My veterinarian was worried about her liver this time, so I wondered about foods that might be better for her. It might be only a temporary problem for her, so I probably don't have to keep her on anything special for life . . . or should I? I studied up on the herbs and I am giving her a Milk Thistle capsule once a night, just a tiny number 4 capsule packed full. She is feeling pretty good tonight, altho she went thin. I will ask the vet if I should continue to worry about her liver, but I have had such good luck with herbal supplements for cats and myself, that I thought I might suggest you look into herbs as a possibility for Mackeral to do better.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

Mackerel seems a little weaker today.
I called the vet and he says bring her in at our scheduled appointment tomorrow, nothing to do until then. She's drinking and weeing and eating... just seems a little weak. I'm a bit worried.
Mackerel
I'm praying for her, keep us posted when you can

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Otto

Jazzmin- I'll wait until her test results tomorrow to look into what to do then. I'm very happy with this vet, though.. if you look at the previous thread to this and all the drama there I had with my last vet you'll understand why.

On that note, everyone: I got a letter from My Best Friend Vet today asking after Mackerel's health with a receipt for the tests and appointments that I had there, a "confirmation of our services" kind of thing, and another note asking if I wanted to make another appointment for Mack's annual checkup!!! Of all the nerve...