Mac or PC ?

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This probably seems like a silly place to ask this ... But I keep going back and forth. I don't know if I should get a mac or a PC. I have no experience with Mac's but everyone I know who has one loves it. 

I am going to be a student again and I seem to be over analyzing everything. I want a desktop.

How did you decide what to get?  

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Many many years ago, I chose Macs because at the time they were more user friendly than the alternatives and they had better software for images, which I needed for my work.  Those differences are not so clear cut any longer but I still will always select a Mac because I'm so familiar with them.  My experience has also been that Macs last longer than PCs.  Before I retired, I had a Mac and a PC and replaced the PC 3 times while still using the same old Mac - despite the fact that I used the Mac far more than the PC.   They are more expensive  but to me, it's worth it because at this point, Macs are like old friends that I intuitively understand.

I'm curious why you would go with a desktop rather than a laptop, though.    Being a student, it would seem that the portability of a laptop would be really important. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used a PC, so that's what I'm familiar with and will stick with it. My son and his wife got tired of all the security software required by a PC, not to mention the possibility of hacking, so they got Mac laptops and love them. Seems to me a laptop would be better for you, too. I'm used to a mouse and find that little place on a laptop too difficult to use, but you can get a mouse to plug into a laptop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personal choice really, I don't like taking a computer to school and I do have a working laptop if I do decide that I need it for school. Plus I am a klutz, for me a desktop is a better investment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a mouse that plugs into my laptop.

Also I was interested in the Mac partly for photo editing and it turns out the campus I am going to doesn't offer photography classes, so for now that's a non issue

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't like macs. Well, I think they used to be great, but now I feel like they're built to break after a few years just like all electronics are nowadays, but Apple products are still more expensive than the rest. But what irks me the most that if anything goes wrong, you have to bring it into a specific mac store. Like if the battery of a PC laptop dies, you can just unscrew the cover and replace it yourself, but macs are unnecessarily complicated and you'd have to take it in to get that done, and it would cost more. Things like that.

The advantage of macs is that you don't have to worry so much about viruses, but PC's are a lot easier and cheaper to fix when things do go wrong. That's basically how I see it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Personally I don't like macs. Well, I think they used to be great, but now I feel like they're built to break after a few years just like all electronics are nowadays, but Apple products are still more expensive than the rest. But what irks me the most that if anything goes wrong, you have to bring it into a specific mac store. Like if the battery of a PC laptop dies, you can just unscrew the cover and replace it yourself, but macs are unnecessarily complicated and you'd have to take it in to get that done, and it would cost more. Things like that.

The advantage of macs is that you don't have to worry so much about viruses, but PC's are a lot easier and cheaper to fix when things do go wrong. That's basically how I see it.
Agreed on all points. i also think that Apple products in general are overpriced and overrated and I have an IPhone 6. When it's time to get another phone, I doubt I'll get another "I" anything. I'll probably be going back to Samsung. DD will roll her eyes and say, "I knew that all along". 

#TeamPC

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've used macs mainly for work related things. Never had an issue with them. They are very user friendly and can do almost everything a PC can do. And very, very low risks of viruses.

I haven't really used a PC in years (except to pop on my dad's when I am there to look up some things).. I guess I've been out of touch, I have no idea how to work it anymore. I didn't like how things were "hidden" in the drop down menu on the bottom and it took me a while to find the photo drivers and such. Macs, everything is right there.

And seems like each time I touch a PC, boom, I get a virus. 

with that being said, I bought myself a Google Cromebook, and love it. not a full PC- can't do a lot like on a regular PC, but used mainly for internet surfing.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I love macs. They are so user friendly. And updates are so easy to install. You can literally just plug it I and go on line. Easy.

Cons. So expensive, specially the iMac, desktop. But it does so much. Being a student, the usually run some deals for students.
Because I worked in a teaching hospital and taught residents, I was able to gets discount and a 4 in1 printer for a good price. They also have workshops which are free.

So expensive but I do not foresee me going back to a pc.. Love my mac

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I own both Macs and PC's.  I switched to Macs ages go when Macs offered an advantage in photo, video and sound editing/production.  That gap has closed.  Both systems offer a roughly equivalent experience.  Nowadays, Adobe typically releases software updates to the PC first.  That said, now that I'm retired and no longer need to worry about compatibility with clients' networks and software, I rarely boot my PC.

While it is true that Macs are more expensive than PC's, as others have noted Macs offer some distinct advantages.   First, the OS is based on Linux.  It is more efficent and offers superior housekeeping than Windows.  Also, Mac OS is less susceptible to viruses and malware.  I never run anti-virus software.  Though I do use Little Snitch to monitor incoming network calls.  

Second, and perhaps more importantly, Apple computers are "closed systems." Apple sources components (chip sets, mother boards, graphic cards, etc) from a limited number of suppliers.  Using a known and finite number of comments enables Apple to test the OS on the full spectrum of component combinations.  In contrast, PC's are open systems; Microsoft has no control over what components PC manufacturers install in their systems.  This means that it is impossible for Microsoft to test their OS on the full range of component combinations.  This is one of the reasons that PC owners often encounter problems with new software and OS upgrades.  

Unless you have very specific requirements, any recent build computer, whether Mac or PC will likely meet your needs.  If cost is more important, go PC. You can pick up a decent laptop for $300 to $400.  Toss it when it breaks and get another one. Or spend a bit more and buy a desktop.  If reliability, design, and virus protection are more important, go Mac.  The Apple Store offers decent discounts on refurbished computers (usually 10-30%).  I always by refurbs.  If you want a Mac desktop, the Mini or iMac are the most affordable.  I have a mini and love it.  I don't care the new thin bezel design of the new iMacs, since nothing (not even memory is user accessible).  

Contrary to popular belief, some of the Macs (e.g. Macbook, Mini, older iMac) are not difficult to work on.  Replacing the battery, hard drive and memory on a Macbook is very easy.  Replacing memory in the Mini is also easy, though swapping the hard drive is a tad more challenging, but still easy enough for anyone who's handy with a screwdriver.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a PC but that is mainly for financial reasons.  If my use was more then casual use I probably would have a MAC.  I just don't feel that my usage justifies the extra expense.  PCs have improved so the difference isn't as great but I do feel that MACs still have the edge.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Macs. 
 I came from a PC loving family (my dad owns an IT company) so I was really resistant to switch. But I had gone through 4 PC's laptops in 6 years, and I was just over it. It was seriously love at first use and I would never switch now. More expensive, yes, but amazing customer service (AppleCare is 100% worth it.) and they last longer. I'm going on year 5 with my Macbook Pro now, and I would seriously never by another PC again.