Mac N’ Cheese

macncheese18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I normally don’t post things like this on any site, but I’m hoping for some security I think I might find here.

I got Mac (N’ Cheese) about four days ago now and I love him to bits. But I’m freaking out!

He’s two months old and he’s so smart already! He’s litter box trained and he’s on dry food and loves drinking water. We’ve only had one accident which was this morning and I think he was just so cozy in bed, he didn’t want to move to use the litter box. He also did so well when I had to leave him for work today (at least I haven’t found any accidents yet!). So his behavior certainly isn’t the problem. It’s just me.

I’ve read online and seen a lot of people have had similar post pet adoption depression. I guess I just never realized how intense it is to care for something so small and know their tiny life is in your hands. So I’ve been freaking out all day thinking that because I work full time I won’t be a good owner and he’ll have behavioral problems from not enough socialization. Does this worrying ever stop? I play with him for at least twenty minutes before I go to work. I’m stopping by and playing and checking in on my lunch break. And of course I give him all the snuggles and play time he wants when I get home.

Another part that I’m stressing out about is my relationship and social life. I didn’t realize how much I just come and go from my apartment to my boyfriend’s place or make plans on a whim. I guess I’m just wondering how you all managed to juggle your love lives and social lives, as well. (Just a note: my boyfriend doesn’t like cats, but he’s being amazing about me getting one and making an effort for me. I just feel terrible because now I feel like he’ll always have to come over to my place or I won’t be able to spend as much time with him because I know he’s uncomfortable around cats, even if it is a little kitten).

The point: how’d you guys get over the overwhelming anxiety that you won’t be able to take care of a kitten and how did you manage your social lives and relationships?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new kitty mama. :bouquet: Mac (N’ Cheese) is paws-itively adorable. :catlove:

It's only been 4 days, so you are still getting used to the changes and responsibility, and that is totally normal. Plus, he is still very, very young. Once he gets older, you won't have to worry so much. And by the time he's an adult, he'll be used to your routine/schedule.

But for now, maybe designate one kitten-safe room where you can keep him when you're at work, or out of the apartment. As long as he has food, water, litter box and toys, and somewhere to sleep, he'll be fine.

Does your boyfriend have a reason for disliking cats? Or maybe he's just never been around them much. Maybe let him spend time with Mac, and before you know it, he'll be a cat purr-son too. :petcat:

Here's a few articles just for new cat owners. Good luck.
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-090208.gif
macncheese18, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
graphics-welcome-090004.gif
to you all.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Great reading articles for you from rubysmama rubysmama

Your kitty is lovely and cute!

You can start a new thread and post your questions here in cat-behavior.5 where more members frequent and those that have experience in that area may be able to help you answer your questions regarding your kitty.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Mac is such a cute little guy! I love that picture of him yawning! He really looks like a mini lion!

I think it sounds like you’re doing a great job caring for him, by having playtime and cuddle time. After a few more days, I’m sure you’ll get into the swing of things. And I think your boyfriend will probably come around to loving him, I mean, it’s impossible not to fall in love with Mac’s sweet little face! :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macncheese18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you rubysmama rubysmama tabbytom tabbytom and abyeb abyeb for responding and for the welcomes! Just venting and hearing your guys' responses really helped me out. Sometimes I'm just an anxious person and when I get really overwhelmed, I get really overwhelmed haha.

As of now, little Mac spends his time in my bathroom (toilet lid closed of course) with his litter box, food, water, toys, and bed all in there! He did absolutely great this morning and realized when I was moving his toys back in there that he needed to be in there too. He just curled right up on his bed of blankets and nibbled on the treat I gave him! And when I left, I couldn't hear any cries so I'm certainly a lot less stressed today.

My boyfriend did admit that he was cute when he met him and he knows that Mac will be around for awhile :) Talking to him, he'll jokingly say things like, "Alright buddy, I'm going to be around for a while so we gotta get along." I think he just never grew up around cats or spent much time with them. He absolutely adores dogs because he feels like he can actually play with them. He really enjoys the rough housing aspects and how big they are. He's a pretty big guy (football and hockey player his whole life) so I think he just isn't used to having to be careful with them. I think it really comes down to the fact that he doesn't really understand how to play with cats, if that makes sense.

Regardless, I talked with him last night and being the amazing guy he is, he reassured me that he and the cat will get along and we can work through any issues if there any (in regards to not spending enough time together, etc). I'm just a big worry wart it seems!

So long message short: thank you very much for all your replies and I am so excited to continue on this journey as new cat mama!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
macncheese18 macncheese18 , great to hear that things are getting along fine. Just be patience and give all your love to Mac and of course save some for your boyfriend :lol:

Once Mac settles in and your boyfriend warms up to him, it’ll be easier and you’ll feel less stress.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them in the appropriate forums so to get a faster response.

Have fun with Mac! :happycat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boyfriend did admit that he was cute when he met him and he knows that Mac will be around for awhile :) Talking to him, he'll jokingly say things like, "Alright buddy, I'm going to be around for a while so we gotta get along."
LOL, it's the guys like this that end up falling HARD for their new feline buddies!

Does the worry every go completely away? Nah. But it only rears its head once in a while, after awhile. And do remember that adult cats sleep 12-16 hours a day, and kittens sleep much more! Most of the time that you aren't at home, he'll be napping, anyway! Just make sure that you take into account feeding schedules, and make plenty of time for play and getting loved on, and he'll do just fine!

Welcome to you and Mac! We're happy to have you here with us!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
macncheese18 macncheese18 Welcome to the Cat site!

Mac is adorable, and looks a lot like my new kitten, Conan the Destroyer. That's him on the right, below, next to Der Baron von Komfy.

In a couple years, you'll have a lovely adult kitty!

If you're away all day, don't worry about Mac. He'll miss you but he'll be fine. It's a good idea to keep him a bit confined so he won't get into accidental trouble, like getting his head stuck in something. He's still young and his coordination are undeveloped yet. I'd clear shelves of things he might knock off them (Conan got his name from that).

Let us know how it goes, and keep us apprised of Mac's progress!

Last edited:

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cutie! I was super stressed when I first brought my kitten home, but I feel better now. If you ever have questions/concerns, people usually respond pretty quick on here! That has been comforting too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macncheese18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 doomsdave doomsdave aliceneko aliceneko BlueJay BlueJay thank you guys very much for all the positivity and responses! This forum has relieved a great deal of my stress, that's for sure.

doomsdave doomsdave Your name for your cat is so cute and funny! I've noticed my little guy loves to be in stuff and is so freakin' curious which is adorable until he's in something he really shouldn't be haha.

Thank you again to everyone! Almost done with the first full week of having him and you guys were most certainly right. It definitely gets better. Just had some serious stress in the beginning! Which after reading up on it, it seems Post Pet Adoption Depression/Stress is actually pretty common hahah. I'm so excited to be a part of this community and I look forward to the future!

Thank you!!!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Mac is a cutie! :redheartpump: When I got my first cat in a while, I was nervous all the time! It took a while to pass, but it did. I still worry about them, but it doesn't overwhelm me now.