Lysol Spray Work On Ringworm????

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I read the information on here about bleach killing ringworm in the environment BUT I need something else. The room I'm keeping the ringworm cats in has carpet, wood furniture, electronics, bed that I can't use bleach to clean. This is the ONLY room I can use for them so I have to fine SOMETHING that can clean their environment the best I can so they don't keep getting reinfected with ringworm. I read on the spray bottle Lysol spray kills athlete's foot which is like ringworm. Has anyone tried this? How has other's cleaned rugs/beds/furniture when bleach can't be used? I'm going to steam clean the rugs when this is all over but can't do this for daily maintenance to keep ringworm at bay.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lysol sprays are not thorough enough to treat all the surfaces you mentioned. It is not advisable to keep ringworm-affected cats in a carpeted room, in contact with bedding and other hard-to-disinfect materials because everything has to be disinfected at least every other day. The fungus will contaminate the insides of the electronics (cooling fan will suck it in), it will enter the central a/c air ducts because HVAC air returns are common in bedrooms. Yes, ringworm can travel through central air if the cats are kept in a room with an air return.

Your best option is to keep the kitties confined to a bathroom, removing all fabrics so that their environment is all hard surface. Bathrooms usually don't have HVAC air returns, another reason this is a good option. The treatment lasts weeks and you and your cats are best served by keeping them in as small and as disinfectable an environment as possible. Also own a few cat carriers to temporarily secure the cats while you disinfect the bathroom surfaces.

You'll also need protective clothing that has to be sanitized after every contact with your cats.

Even if you have only one bathroom, it's better in the long run to deal with the major hassle of having quarantined cats there. You'll have greater success of eliminating the fungus and keeping it gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lysol sprays are not thorough enough to treat all the surfaces you mentioned. It is not advisable to keep ringworm-affected cats in a carpeted room, in contact with bedding and other hard-to-disinfect materials because everything has to be disinfected at least every other day. The fungus will contaminate the insides of the electronics (cooling fan will suck it in), it will enter the central a/c air ducts because HVAC air returns are common in bedrooms. Yes, ringworm can travel through central air if the cats are kept in a room with an air return.

Your best option is to keep the kitties confined to a bathroom, removing all fabrics so that their environment is all hard surface. Bathrooms usually don't have HVAC air returns, another reason this is a good option. The treatment lasts weeks and you and your cats are best served by keeping them in as small and as disinfectable an environment as possible. Also own a few cat carriers to temporarily secure the cats while you disinfect the bathroom surfaces.

You'll also need protective clothing that has to be sanitized after every contact with your cats.

Even if you have only one bathroom, it's better in the long run to deal with the major hassle of having quarantined cats there. You'll have greater success of eliminating the fungus and keeping it gone.

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I only have one bathroom and twin girls who are in the middle of potty training and need easy access to the bathroom....Yes nightmare I know...I can get rid of the electronics but the bed and furniture has to stay. In this situation where they have to stay in this room what is the best I can try and do?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'd try a disinfectant called Virkon S. Its what is recommended to decontaminate stables and horse equipment after a ringworm outbreak. You might want to patch test first on anything really important, but its designed to work on wood, fabrics etc. I don't know if you can get it in the US, but I'd have thought horse and farm supplies shops would have it, and maybe large animal vets too.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I only have one bathroom and twin girls who are in the middle of potty training and need easy access to the bathroom....Yes nightmare I know...I can get rid of the electronics but the bed and furniture has to stay. In this situation where they have to stay in this room what is the best I can try and do?
Can you put them in a large cat playpen as a means to isolate them? I can see why you wouldn't want the cats near your daughters, but you still need to thoroughly sanitize all surfaces frequently. You won't be able to disinfect an entire bedroom, full of absorbent carpeting every other day.

If the playpen is kept in the spare bedroom, put down painters plastic on the carpet and use it as a drop cloth over your furniture and bedding to avoid further contamination. You will still have to sanitize everything once the treatment is complete.

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok I will try the play pen. As far as cleaning I just read Apple Cider Vinegar could work. I would rather use that for cleaning some things like my wood/wall. Thoughts?

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a month-old thread, but in case anyone else is searching around: Lysol IC does disinfect against the same fungus that causes athlete's foot so should work for ringworm. It requires a 10-minute application time.

I have 4 cats in my house with ringworm right now. Sigh. I have no choice but to put 2 of them in a carpeted room, so...it is what it is, and you just have to do the best you can do. Vacuum vacuum vacuum and disinfect every surface you can.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if Lysol has changed their ingredients, i know it use to be considered toxic to cats?

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lysol IC IS effective against ringworm. NOT regular Lysol, but Lysol IC, the disinfectant. You will need to order it online; it's not sold in any local stores I've ever found. It is effective against trichophyton mentagrophytes, and that's what you look for in a cleaner for ringworm. Also, Athlete's foot IS a form of ringworm. As is jock itch.

And, thank you, but I've already read all the threads here -- that's what led me to choosing Lysol IC to begin with. The Housecleaning Regime link above is what said to look for something effective against Trichophyton mentagrophytes.

Also, Lysol IC does not contain Phenol, the thing that cats are allergic to/reactive to. But thanks for pointing that out, because I was previously using regular Lysol around my house before this chaos came down upon us, so now I'll switch that up.

Oooo although I just went to check out the spec sheet on the Lysol that I do use - it's Lysol with bleach - and it is also effective against trichophyton mentagrophytes! (It's a little over 10% bleach) It also doesn't contain Phenol (hooray, I'm safe!)

Last edited by a moderator:

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey..sorry moderator, I'm being annoying again... but I wanted to make sure also everyone knew this: did some further research, and Lysol no longer contains phenols, period. So it's safe to use.

TomTomTomcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I read the information on here about bleach killing ringworm in the environment BUT I need something else. The room I'm keeping the ringworm cats in has carpet, wood furniture, electronics, bed that I can't use bleach to clean. This is the ONLY room I can use for them so I have to fine SOMETHING that can clean their environment the best I can so they don't keep getting reinfected with ringworm. I read on the spray bottle Lysol spray kills athlete's foot which is like ringworm. Has anyone tried this? How has other's cleaned rugs/beds/furniture when bleach can't be used? I'm going to steam clean the rugs when this is all over but can't do this for daily maintenance to keep ringworm at bay.
It seems like a lot of people stress out a lot over ringworm. I know it's awful and I was upset. I got it from my cat but our other cat didn't get it and no one else in my family got it. We lived in an apartment with carpet and never quarantined the infected cat. I used tea tree oil and both me and the cat and it cleared up very quickly. All I could do was vacuum the floor.

mpha1969

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, it's been a nearly a year since this ringworm thread occurred and I'd kind of like to know if the Lysol IC worked and was the cat owner who had to keep her kitty in her carpeted bedroom able to eradicate the ring worm from that space? I have a kitty with ringworm and she's quarantined in my bedroom since it's the only place I can keep her. In California real estate developers decided doors on bathrooms weren't necessary so I don't have a door on my bathroom. Anyone have cleaning advice for carpet?

mpha1969

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems like a lot of people stress out a lot over ringworm. I know it's awful and I was upset. I got it from my cat but our other cat didn't get it and no one else in my family got it. We lived in an apartment with carpet and never quarantined the infected cat. I used tea tree oil and both me and the cat and it cleared up very quickly. All I could do was vacuum the floor.
ok I will try the play pen. As far as cleaning I just read Apple Cider Vinegar could work. I would rather use that for cleaning some things like my wood/wall. Thoughts?
My kitty just contracted ringworm and she's confined to my bedroom. What did you end up doing about the carpet, bedding, etc? thanks, Marianne (aka mpha1969)