Lynx point siamese....with spots??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still a lynx point although is it the color pattern not the breed. Lynx point is when they are a tabby underneath the pointed. Point basically makes the pattern they should have been turn out faded and only show up at the extremities (points, it is actually a fascinating variation on albinism if you really want to get into it). The stronger the gene the less shows up elsewhere but in some cases, like yours, the gene is a smidgen weaker so more of the underlaying coat shows up. In this case she has a less common tabby patterning, spotted tabby. Also because her pointed gene is weaker you are seeing more of the pattern than you would see in a purebred pointed cat. There is also the whole factor of temperature sensitivity and most purebreds are kept indoors at a stable temperature so they don't typically darken as quickly as a house pet that may have outside access or be kept in a home where the temperature fluctuates more. Age can also be a factor and pointed cats tend to darken with age, you don't mention age so if she is older (3+) the spots may just be more visible because of her age and/or if she had frequent outdoor access earlier in life. 

She technically is a mitted lynx point in the coloring because of the white paws and tail tip if you really want to get specific. 

As to her breed, domestic short hair is my guess and the default when there aren't papers to back up a breed. She is a little too short and not quiet long enough to be a Siamese. The pointed gene can show up in a variety of breeds and is fairly common outside of recognized purebreds. To the other pointed breeds I am not seeing any indication that would say she is more closely related to any of the other pointed breeds either (if anything it is more likely the pointed came from a Siamese ancestor than anything else because she doesn't have those more distinct features of some of the others... although I also have a little pointed girl who is not similar to any known pointed breed in body shape/build so could just be random mixing that ended up pointed but your girl is more narrow and leggy than mine so more likely Siamese). While it is possible that she has a Siamese in her heritage I would put it further back in the heritage and unless she is much younger than I think it may be more of a dual heritage several generations back on both sides (pointed is recessive so both her mom and dad had to carry it even if they didn't show it, although her eyes are a brighter blue that is more typical when one parent does show the gene and leans more towards a more recent purebred link).

I actually wouldn't be too surprised if she has a Siamese ancestor on one side and a spotted breed on the other (like a Bengal or Egyptian Mau). Since the pointed is recessive there was mixing on both sides for it to show up in her, so likely Siamese or another pointed on both sides. As to how far back, I would guess at least 2-3 generations back with the coloring to her eyes being a brighter blue and the spots being clean and even; but it has resulted in a very pretty little cat. She is only going to get prettier with time. Take a lot of photos because you won't notice the change but when you look back you will see some color changing and darkening as she gets older. 

All the rambling aside, domestic short hair (DSH) mitted lynx point would be her breed and coat pattern respectively.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmyj8383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response! The shelter told us that she was between 1-2 years old. They found her as a stray outside (wisconsin winter), so weather may have played a part as you've said. We love her regardless of breed, but she just has had me curious for a month!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmyj8383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My three year old daughter named her Elsa ;)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the response! The shelter told us that she was between 1-2 years old. They found her as a stray outside (wisconsin winter), so weather may have played a part as you've said. We love her regardless of breed, but she just has had me curious for a month!
I was thinking around that age too. The weather would explain the darkening to her coat my pointed go outside and they get a few shades darker every year. I am pretty sure my boy will be a dark brown at this rate within the next 5 years. The face shape is closer to a Bengal than a Siamese and Bengal would explain the spotting. You could probably safely go with a Bengal/Siamese mix if you wanted to give her a breed description outside of domestic short hair. She likely has some other cat in the mix and a few generations back on anything purebred.

She really is a pretty cat and Elsa sounds like a good name for her.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was thinking around that age too. The weather would explain the darkening to her coat my pointed go outside and they get a few shades darker every year. I am pretty sure my boy will be a dark brown at this rate within the next 5 years. The face shape is closer to a Bengal than a Siamese and Bengal would explain the spotting. You could probably safely go with a Bengal/Siamese mix if you wanted to give her a breed description outside of domestic short hair. She likely has some other cat in the mix and a few generations back on anything purebred.

She really is a pretty cat and Elsa sounds like a good name for her.

I think that Keika is right on point here.  With her four white feet, she looks like a generational throwback to the "Silver Laces" (F Generation) cats from which Dorothy Hinds-Daugherty began breeding what we now call Snowshoes.  The original program(s) produced F¹ Generation cats with their Siamese background which maintained the same ectomorphic body type associated with the "modern" Siamese (as opposed to the mesomorph "apple heads" of the latter twentieth century), which is quite apparent in Elsa (and diametrically opposed to the modern version of the Snowshoe, whose body type is very nearly endomorphic).

I've seen photos of Ms. Hinds-Daugherty's early program, which was largely built around her "Silver Laces" crossed against various American Shorthairs, but which included, through the late 1960s, several different pure-breed crosses, including Abyssinians, Burmese and Turkish Angora.  Keika's observation of lineage is almost undoubtedly that the two Parents included a Siamese Colorpoint Shorthair cross with a cat whose genetics trace back to the "Silver Laces" breeding program.  Modern Snowshoes carry an incredible number of recessive genes, and Elsa appears to have inherited some uncommon Colorpoint traits into that bargain.

That said, Elsa is absolutely stunning !

Grape

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a pretty cat! Kieka, will my lynx point kitty still darken over time if she is an indoor kitty?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a pretty cat! Kieka, will my lynx point kitty still darken over time if she is an indoor kitty?
What is her basic color? If black or at least blue, yes she will, if other colors, they will deepen up, but not so visibly. Kieka Kieka

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got this cat from a humane society a month ago. The closest breed I can find online is a lynx point siamese...however, they do not seem to have spots like she does. Anyone have any guesses?
Wow, a beautie if I ever saw one! Now, lynx point siameses usually dont have spots, only because spotted tabbies arent that common, even if they arent unique. Thus, very few spotted lynx poont siamese. :) And thus, very few spotted siamese point look alikes... :)

The label problem here, aside of her being probably a domestic, is her face and muzzle isnt prolonged enough, to be called for a siamese look alike. A siamese tend also to be even more lean in body. She is a point yes, but not much siamese look alike.

If its important for you to have a label on her of a breed, its better to repaint her slightly, and say she is somewhat look alike to a snow bengal...

Snow bengals are pointed spotted tabbies, as she is. They also tend to be whitish on the body, unlike most other pointed tabbies, whom easily darken up on the body.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an old thread :) I would describe the OP's cat as a lynx point and white domestic shorthair. Pretty cat, but I'm not seeing a likeness to any pedigreed breed. Spotted tabby and pointed coloration are both common enough in the domestic cat population that they don't indicate any specific breed influence.

Angco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male just like her! I call him a Spotted Lynx Point. I posted a baby photo and a recent one to show you how they get darker with age. He was solid white at birth and until about four weeks of age when you could see a little color coming in. He is a little over a year old and his spots are not quite as distinct as Elsa's yet, but I know he is headed there. Elsa is very pretty.

Attachments

Doublemcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kieka said “Also because her pointed gene is weaker you are seeing more of the pattern than you would see in a purebred pointed cat.”

False statement as she doesn’t understand how the agouti gene is expressed. The stripes in Lynx color point cats is from the agouti gene. In Self sold color points you get Seal Points and no stripes. If she has said, “Also because her pointed gene is present and it is influenced by one agouti gene as well as the spotted coat modifier.

02CEB644-38C5-4391-A929-AC7081B6309B.jpeg

This is my cat Loki, He is a high bred Seal Spotted Lynx Point Nonstandard munchkin

This is my Seal Classic Lynx Point female named Lorelei. She is a standard munchkin.
911EFFF4-CB16-4DAC-AC90-56C23DC297B2.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka said “Also because her pointed gene is weaker you are seeing more of the pattern than you would see in a purebred pointed cat.”

False statement as she doesn’t understand how the agouti gene is expressed. The stripes in Lynx color point cats is from the agouti gene. In Self sold color points you get Seal Points and no stripes. If she has said, “Also because her pointed gene is present and it is influenced by one agouti gene as well as the spotted coat modifier.

View attachment 393146
This is my cat Loki, He is a high bred Seal Spotted Lynx Point Nonstandard munchkin

This is my Seal Classic Lynx Point female named Lorelei. She is a standard munchkin.View attachment 393148
My Quinn is a pb siamese sealpoint but he has some stripes showing on his face