Lying to the vet to help a feral - pictures and videos included

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
One of our ferals, Pretty Kitty (PK), is sick.

We cannot trap him right now. Because of other health issues he has, I feel he is very likely non-releasable. So we are making plans to permanently bring him inside after we get 5 kittens adopted out (therefore freeing up necessary space), which has been continually delayed by sickness and now the pandemic.

Until then, we don’t really have a place to contain him long term.

I work in rescue and have a lot of connections in the community, so trust me when I say that rescues are not an option right now. I’m on my own here.

I’m not sure when this all started. We noticed PK using one of our half built shelters in the garage two nights ago. He has never used a shelter of ours in the years we’ve been caring for him.

The first time we noticed, my boyfriend was taking out the trash, and it wasn’t until I came in that I saw his head poking out of the shelter window. He quickly ran off once my boyfriend started opening the garage door.

The next night, same thing. My boyfriend spotted him this time and told me to come look. Once I got in there, he asked if something was wrong with PK’s eyes.

I didn’t have my glasses on at the time so I couldn’t see much detail, but I could tell he was squinting at me.

Pretty Kitty is still very feral, so the fact that he didn’t leave either time we walked into the garage was pretty suspect on its own, but the squinting definitely threw up a red flag.

So we positioned our cameras in ways that would make PK’s face easier to see.

Meanwhile, I went back through a month or so of photos, and PK looks like he’s squinting most of the time. I have no idea exactly when it started, but can narrow it down to sometime in the past few weeks.

I did notice a couple other odd things too.

In the pictures and videos from the last three days, the fur around his face looked more disheveled and dirty. I’m assuming now it’s the eye (and possible nasal) discharge.

Also, while PK will sometimes lay in the garage for 20-40 minutes at a time, he only does so very rarely. Aside from the shelter incidences, he has being doing this more frequently the past week (and had three separate long periods last night where he laid by the food).

He has also shown up three times during the day recently - he has never done this before in 3 years. We have tried painstakingly hard, time and again, to get him to come eat on (or even off) a schedule during the day because of wildlife at night, and it has never worked. He only comes at night. So this likewise caught my attention, even though it mostly happened prior to all of the other changes/symptoms.

Anyway, looks like last night we were able to catch some good photos and videos of him.

I’m posting to see if you guys notice something I’m missing or could better explain to the vet.

(Excuse our opossum friend)

(So mad.. the camera glitches right when PK gets close!!! :livid:)

These were the best stills I managed to pull from that video -

73F0FDDB-06A9-4FD5-8E98-52767E2B6F46.png
E7D7ADA7-9502-42F8-8DA5-6E00B3C214A8.png

Other photos -

44D8DB61-7FDB-4A77-A25C-18C8BE4EC231.jpeg

1D2813EA-7E22-4962-8C60-18B1F0CCF695.png

CF412062-CB5B-4216-B992-2174E0413FD6.png

02BA423A-5FCA-42A2-A7B5-B2530BDE090E.jpeg

1F4EA7C0-41C2-425F-94DD-4019D8266BAA.png

B8C9A9BF-23C0-42FA-8EB5-F4CDFC1DBF0A.png

A8899116-5951-4DF0-99DB-3664E0625C58.jpeg

I’m seeing:

- Bilateral eye discharge (color unknown)

- Squinting

- Potential photophobia (eyes seemed a little more open in the shelter).

- Redness around eyes

- Elevated third eyelids (last photo is where I’m primarily seeing this)

- Swollen eyes/face? I’m going to search through older photos of him to try and compare. Not sure if it’s just in the eyes or the whole face.

- Behavioral changes (hanging out in the garage more and using the shelter)

He seems to still be eating and drinking, so that’s good. I’ve watched about an hour total of (super boring) videos of PK from the last week or so, and did not observe any rubbing, sneezing, coughing, hacking, obvious nasal congestion, etc. Most of his observable symptoms so far are conjunctivitis-related.

Do y’all see anything else of note?

I’m trying to decide what to do. Vet won’t prescribe without seeing him, but can’t trap him right now. Thinking the next best option is to say it’s one of our personal cats with the symptoms PK has.

We’ve recently had outbreaks of bacterial bronchitis and also herpes or calici (we didn’t confirm which, but probably herpes, I think) among the 16 cats in our home. So our vets are pretty much on a “tell us and we’ll prescribe for whoever is symptomatic right now” deal with us at the moment.

My current thinking is I could at least get some broad spectrum antibiotics/doxy and anitivirals/Famciclovir. And maybe a decongestant like Bromhexine?

I don’t normally give L-lysine because of the inconclusive science, but I’ve gone ahead and ordered some because it can’t hurt - who knows when it will get here, though.

There are a number of issues with this plan, however.

First, how the heck am I going to reliably get medication in him?

He doesn’t come on a set schedule. And there are other ferals, and currently, raccoons and opossums to contend with too (yay, baby season 🙄).

Our situation has not enabled any “feral friendliness” with this particular colony. All of our ferals will bolt if they see me (being in the garage with PK was by far the closest I’ve ever been to any of the ferals in this colony), so no chance of policing dishes.

I could leave food with meds out, and pay close attention to the notifications on my phone when the camera goes off and chase away anyone who isn’t PK, but that’s about it.

Timing of meds also won’t be consistent or properly spaced (especially for anything with a 2x a day dose) either due to everything being dependent on when PK decides to show up (and how accurate my estimations of when he will visit are). What if PK doesn’t show up? What if he’s late? Etc

Another thing to consider is the potential for PK to spread whatever he has to the others. We had 3 new ferals show up this month that we haven’t yet trapped (working through kittens in another colony), so PK and those three are currently unvaccinated.

And we are also considering the possibility of PK having FIV or FeLV. The latter being of particular concern regarding the other cats and sharing bowls.

But our hands just feel so tied right now.

We’re trying to consider all of our potential options, along with just generally considering all of that we should consider!

Please feel free to spitball at us here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Some pictures of our beautiful boy normally -

BAC24291-8942-4414-99B0-D798D7D70AD2.jpeg

1F93178D-8991-4904-99D9-A7EC38293E35.jpeg

7EEFFC50-C4E5-46E1-8362-8E566DBC9DD8.jpeg

979DAA44-34E7-4400-8CC5-0BD710CEE79E.jpeg

As you can see, the difference is pretty stark :(

25CDC2BF-12A0-492F-B0C0-B12586B922D6.png

Still can’t tell if just his eyes are swollen, or if it’s his nose too - what do y’all think?

0C9D6E88-7607-43D1-8AEB-C1109F9E96AE.jpeg

E2A844B7-E70A-4E7E-8AD6-2978482BBA44.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His eyes are definitely watery and swollen. He is sick. If it were me I would start him on a antibiotic first, and go from there. I get those lickable treats in the stew variety at Walmart, I have never had a cat refuse them and is what I give my outside cats. They like the tuna and whitefish or tuna and shrimp the best. I mix in a liquid cc of antibiotic and they lap it right up. Other meds could be added too.
Its always a heartache when the ferals get sick, the stress of taking them to a vet would kill them. I am treating one now with a huge chunk taken out of his face, he's looking better! Good food and rest is essential for your boy, he's cone to you because he tells safe with you....

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’m debating on whether to do just antibiotics or antibiotics + antivirals too. I actually have a full 2 week course of antibiotics and only a week or so of antivirals on hand.

Problem is figuring out dosages - I have Plumb’s drug handbook, a couple other vet books, and two vet tech friends who can “unofficially” help advise. It’s not ideal, but it might have to do.

He’ll eat whatever I give him, it’s just timing that’s the issue. I never know when he’s going to be here or when the other cats and critters will be here, so making sure HE gets the food is really tough.

And yes, this is always the hardest part of caring for ferals, the sheer sense of hopelessness :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know each vet has their own protocols. My vet prescribes Biomox for my ferals because she feels there is a lot of leeway in dosage/weight. Also, I use L-lysine, probiotics, coconut oil if he wants to eat it and, separate from modern meds, marshmallow root, licorice root & slippery elm (the herbs need to be at least 2- 4 hours apart from meds because they can prevent absorption for awhile). Perhaps you can consult a holistic vet for advice on adding herbs to the regimen. If the other cats get into herb-infused food, it is not as critical. PK is a gorgeous cat!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand about having to move some out before working with the next one in line. Been there too.
Several things here.
Has he always cocked his head? Obviously there is the eye problems , can’t tell about swelling but it appears he is shaking his head too. It reminds me of recent problems with BJ. Eye and nose discharge but also some ear stuff. He was prescribed antibiotics and antihistamines. Ears were cleaned out too. Aorocin CM. I am seeing a whole lot of these types of problems right now. Our vet felt BJ was reacting to allergens. Not sure if that was all that was going on but the meds worked. I also used an air purifier but BJ is now inside.
The thing about BJ is that he was an older feral tom who dodged me for years as I worked with a colony. I know that most of the time ferals are a bit freaked out if contained but sometimes they really understand when they are sick and they cooperate. Bj got heartworns and FIV and when he seemed to be feeling bad, he finally responded to my attempts to get close and he actually “allowed” me to start working with him. I’m the end he also came into a shelter, then a short time later, into the sunroom. I shut him in, fully expecting him to become frantic. He was scared but trusted me. I had to move him into a large cage in order to get him acclimated and treated but it worked. Not only did it work, he’s in my lap purring as I type. Obviously a cage is not ideal but when they are sick, isolating and treating is life saving in some cases. Is there any way you can provide private shelter within the garage until you can make a spot for him inside? A catio within the garage? What about separate cubby’s? Could he have one that others would not enter? A wall of cubby’s might provide enough spaces that he could have his own spot. That would start him on the path to socialization as well as putting him into an environment where you can be assured he gets the medicine you provide. You would need to sort of confine him and give him more contact by luring him in but he seems willing to allow that at this point. In fact, he seems to desire a safe place. He looks like he is feeling pretty punky. I would guess he might even be feverish. Have you seen him drinking? Wet food would probably be gobbled up by others but if he were safe in his own space you can make sure he is hydrated as well as medicated. If you can’t give him a space within the garage, can you shut the others out of the garage and feed them outside?
I have rescued too colonies in the past. Both very large. I would have done TNR but both colonies required emergency rescue. The first colony was riddled with Felv. Spay and neuter was crucial but also, isolating those who were ill to stop the spread of the illness. Felv is not an automatic death sentence but living outdoors, under stress and poor conditions means shorter lifespan for most as the disease becomes active. Indoors, my Mackie has not had it become active. I do give L- lysine and have since I worked with that first colony. Proof or not, Mackie is still here. He is over a decade old now! My human pharmacy orders it for me but many carry it.
The second colony I pulled in was at risk from humans, predators and illness like heartworns. BJ got heartworns and FIV. Also not a death sentence but it also required shelter from the elements. It was a juggling act to get cats socialized and adopted out before bringing in more. I used any space I could find or build in order to protect the kitties and prevent illness/death/breeding. BJ was the most elusive and the last member of the colony of over a hundred to decide to trust me. It takes time and it isn’t easy. Exhausting but never hopeless. BJ no longer has heartworns. Hold on to hope. If we all put our heads together, we can figure out something for PK. He is absolutely beautiful and has the most precious expression when he felt good! You both have my heart.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1st off, TY beyond words for caring for him! I am so grateful ppl like you EXIST!

2nd, our feral has same eye issues. He has puffy face. Vet said prolly a URI back in Dec. when he went in, but he's FiV & thus can't fight it well. She did inject Covenia long-acting antibio in late Dec., ( THE only time i ever trapped him) but can't retrap yet, as he's now smart & avoids it & now the Covid problem. :(

If I were you, I'd use ANY means to trap him so long as you can find ANY vet at this time to take him. It matters not what you say to them, as his HEALTH is far more import than what it takes to get him help. He needs help asap I'd say. We use VetriScience Lysine Plus chews at 4x daily at 250mg/chew = 1000mg total.

But he needs more antiobio's & more repairs, I'm sure. I watch over him here in AZ & it is warm enough & he is out back of my apt. He has his Kitty Tube but somedays roams to next yards to chase females. I really need him in to vet asap too, but we're going to try to move back east after Aug. lease ends. Til then I can't trap nor get him inside. But I will keep an eye on him.

Again, please try anything to help PK. I'd start asap w/ L-Lysine. Then trap him some way if any way poss & get him to a vet. I know far easier said than done, & costs a pretty penny but again I would sacrifice on my end, anything I need too, to try to help protect a kitty's' life/health. It is their ONLY wealth. :)

Lastly, it definitely could be allergies. He has no discharge of any color fluids, does he? My feral does have white mucous sometimes & again, a URI or also possible outside allergens, said vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am with you on saying it is a personal cat if that is the only way you can get some meds even though it is a chance that you might not get exactly what you need. You seem very experiences, so I doubt that you are not at least in the ball park with your diagnosis. I do agree that he is around more as he is coming to you for help; this has happened to me with even the toughest ferals and the ones who never became pets...they know that somehow you are the caretaker.

Yes, this is the hopeless part of feral cat care and you are an angel to try to take care of him and your others.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I totally understand about having to move some out before working with the next one in line. Been there too.
Several things here.
Has he always cocked his head? Obviously there is the eye problems , can’t tell about swelling but it appears he is shaking his head too. It reminds me of recent problems with BJ. Eye and nose discharge but also some ear stuff. He was prescribed antibiotics and antihistamines. Ears were cleaned out too. Aorocin CM. I am seeing a whole lot of these types of problems right now. Our vet felt BJ was reacting to allergens. Not sure if that was all that was going on but the meds worked. I also used an air purifier but BJ is now inside.
The thing about BJ is that he was an older feral tom who dodged me for years as I worked with a colony. I know that most of the time ferals are a bit freaked out if contained but sometimes they really understand when they are sick and they cooperate. Bj got heartworns and FIV and when he seemed to be feeling bad, he finally responded to my attempts to get close and he actually “allowed” me to start working with him. I’m the end he also came into a shelter, then a short time later, into the sunroom. I shut him in, fully expecting him to become frantic. He was scared but trusted me. I had to move him into a large cage in order to get him acclimated and treated but it worked. Not only did it work, he’s in my lap purring as I type. Obviously a cage is not ideal but when they are sick, isolating and treating is life saving in some cases. Is there any way you can provide private shelter within the garage until you can make a spot for him inside? A catio within the garage? What about separate cubby’s? Could he have one that others would not enter? A wall of cubby’s might provide enough spaces that he could have his own spot. That would start him on the path to socialization as well as putting him into an environment where you can be assured he gets the medicine you provide. You would need to sort of confine him and give him more contact by luring him in but he seems willing to allow that at this point. In fact, he seems to desire a safe place. He looks like he is feeling pretty punky. I would guess he might even be feverish. Have you seen him drinking? Wet food would probably be gobbled up by others but if he were safe in his own space you can make sure he is hydrated as well as medicated. If you can’t give him a space within the garage, can you shut the others out of the garage and feed them outside?
I have rescued too colonies in the past. Both very large. I would have done TNR but both colonies required emergency rescue. The first colony was riddled with Felv. Spay and neuter was crucial but also, isolating those who were ill to stop the spread of the illness. Felv is not an automatic death sentence but living outdoors, under stress and poor conditions means shorter lifespan for most as the disease becomes active. Indoors, my Mackie has not had it become active. I do give L- lysine and have since I worked with that first colony. Proof or not, Mackie is still here. He is over a decade old now! My human pharmacy orders it for me but many carry it.
The second colony I pulled in was at risk from humans, predators and illness like heartworns. BJ got heartworns and FIV. Also not a death sentence but it also required shelter from the elements. It was a juggling act to get cats socialized and adopted out before bringing in more. I used any space I could find or build in order to protect the kitties and prevent illness/death/breeding. BJ was the most elusive and the last member of the colony of over a hundred to decide to trust me. It takes time and it isn’t easy. Exhausting but never hopeless. BJ no longer has heartworns. Hold on to hope. If we all put our heads together, we can figure out something for PK. He is absolutely beautiful and has the most precious expression when he felt good! You both have my heart.
Head Tilt -

Quite perceptive of you!

I was going to address the cocked head, but my post was already too long!

No, his head was not always like that. He went missing for about 3-4 months last summer. When he came back, he had a head tilt, darting eyes, lack of coordination, etc.

We tried to trap him, but he was coming extremely irregularly. Once or twice a week, and sometimes he wouldn’t show up for 2-3 weeks straight. This made trapping him exceedingly difficult. We posted flyers and online trying to track down his whereabouts. We got a few leads, but could never actually find him. The leads were also in completely different parts of the neighborhood and nearby neighborhoods, so they didn’t even narrow down an area for us :/

It’s only been the last few months that he’s been reliably showing up every night. But, kittens...

We’ve had 5 separate vets look at all of our videos of his head tilt (the other symptoms have since subsided), and all agreed it was likely vestibular syndrome, which is what I suspected. They said he seems stable, so it’s not “urgent”, but to get him in when we can (they said this knowing it might be a few months).

There’s a possibility he will be able to be released, but we want to be prepared in case he’s NR. Plus, it’s been a long time dream of ours to get our hands into all that floof someday 😂

Ears -

You might be onto something with the ears, actually. Checked the footage this morning and immediately noticed a wound -

2585181A-4EAF-4D84-B7FA-AAC2D4C47C6F.jpeg

74E95542-DBB1-4926-A2E5-999C55C39D59.jpeg

5F94BA66-C356-4FC8-B1B1-CF31E5A36C91.jpeg

I was thinking it was possibly from a fight since we have several new cats around, but after reading your comment, I think it could very well be self-inflicted.

Trapping -

Like your BJ, this boy has been elusive to us for a few years now! He was the first feral of this colony, and is still in tact!!! (Classic trapper’s embarrassment! 😆)

We set up the drop trap last night and got him to go under by just laying out some straw and catnip - no actual bait. So that’s very promising! We’re just trying to weigh the pros/cons of trapping him right now.

Crating/Confining -

Honestly, I normally crate all ferals for up to 3-6 weeks for illness, injury, or simply socializing. I find it really accelerates the process for socialization, actually -

35C36020-B98C-41C1-84A8-A333676CDCF4.jpeg

02969E65-5EB6-46DC-B678-C4315948BF63.jpeg

6BCAA70A-255C-4140-AF89-37DDFCC77751.jpeg

5AFC08D4-DF09-40EC-A9C3-CDBD35A9AD9C.jpeg

So I don’t have any qualms about containing in small spaces for shortish periods of time!

We have a very tiny bathroom that would be perfectly fine short term, too.

The problem is that we’ll likely have him long term and who knows when things will blow over enough to get all 5 kittens adopted out. I’m hesitant to keep him in such a small space for months and months :/

Garage -

We could always set up a crate in the garage, and we also have a small enclosure we could disassemble and reassemble in there. We’ve been considering this too.

6CAAB46A-4664-4C0D-8D61-79F1CBB46F10.jpeg

84926AD3-9A37-4A9C-8EAC-8980F534C6EC.jpeg

(We had to set up the enclosure in our dining room a few months ago for quarantine purposes due to lack of available space!)

Our obstacles with this plan are that three of our five feeding stations are in the garage. We don’t have a lot of space outside and have an HOA to be mindful of... which is why the garage works.

I feel like we would have to close out access to the garage and lose those three feeding stations if we kept him in there. It seems cruel otherwise - to trap him in there by crate or enclosure while other cats and critters are coming and going.

One of our personal cats has also very kindly been letting us know that at least one of the new guys is spraying in the garage (he always communicates this by spraying the garage door from inside the house, of course!). The garage also stores a week’s worth of cat potty for 16 cats and poop for one dog... So, let’s just say that it will not smell very nice with the garage door closed. And I worry about the stress of him being trapped in there with all those animal smells and little ventilation.

Wet food -

We usually put out wet food along with the dry, but we have been having to make budget cuts due to the pandemic and issues with job security (I work in the nonprofit sector). So we’ve only been putting out one bowl morning and night, and whoever gets it, gets it (it is generally a cat. I do my best to run off the raccoons when it’s out. And also the opossums, since it’s far too high protein for them anyway).

The last couple of days I’ve put out an extra serving of wet and gently try to spook off the other cats when I can to increase the odds of Pretty Kitty getting it.

The Incredible JCatBird! -

And yes, I’ve read sooooo many of your posts and your undertakings are so admirable. Truly.

This past year for us had been so rough. We also already have a “makeshift room”! (Well, in addition to the quarantine enclosure in the dining room that we had!) 😆

Rescue Woes -

We opened our rescue efforts to kittens/puppies this year. We usually only do seniors and special needs (including ferals). But couldn’t avoid taking in those babies anymore when they start showing up on your back porch with a severed leg from a wildlife attack 😭

That was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back, and this last batch of kittens was killer for us. In less than two months we had 6 kittens from 3 different colonies.

One kitten was in seriously bad shape. We quarantined her in the tiny bathroom because we already had homes lined up for the other 5 kittens, so assumed they’d be out shortly so she could have the room (she was also already very tame and not feral at all, which made adjusting easier for her with the right amount of pets and play).

Then it turned out that the new littermates we merged with the other litter had giardia, ringworm, a resistant species of roundworm (literally had never even heard of that before!), and bronchitis!!! (The tame kitten also just happened to have giardia). All five kittens subsequently lost their homes because the families understandably did not want to wait for an undetermined amount of time for treatment to be successful. It was brutal.

And again... we are/were a house full of 16 cats and 2 dogs who were almost all immunocompromised. So this was... bad. And took tireless effort to contain and eradicate.

Then the older cats suddenly came up with a case of what I assume is herpes and it spread like freaking wildfire.

Our feral colony also doubled in size, with plenty of strays we had to find homes for along the way - and a couple we haven’t been able to yet because of behavioral issues (one has sent me to the hospital twice now due to redirected aggression 😩).

It’s been an exhausting and expensive year.

But it has always been a goal to bring Pretty Kitty inside ever since he came back last August/September, with full intention to socialize and provide a forever home if he is not 100% fit for release. Being the first member of this colony, having experienced him going missing for months, and having him be ill consequently means he has a very special place in our hearts.

Right now we’re just trying to assess our options and weigh quality of life issues (in regards to keeping him contained in a small space potentially for months) and also risk assessment (in regards to *not* trapping him, and trying to treat him otherwise).

It’s looking more and more like the only choice we’re going to have is to trap him, though. I’d never forgive myself if something happened to him just because we weren’t able to treat him while still roaming free.

I already thought I lost him once, and I do not ever want to feel that way again if there’s anything I can do to prevent it.

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I know each vet has their own protocols. My vet prescribes Biomox for my ferals because she feels there is a lot of leeway in dosage/weight. Also, I use L-lysine, probiotics, coconut oil if he wants to eat it and, separate from modern meds, marshmallow root, licorice root & slippery elm (the herbs need to be at least 2- 4 hours apart from meds because they can prevent absorption for awhile). Perhaps you can consult a holistic vet for advice on adding herbs to the regimen. If the other cats get into herb-infused food, it is not as critical. PK is a gorgeous cat!
I really long for a vet who will simply prescribe relatively safe things like antibiotics for ferals without requiring to see the cat first (especially if I have pictures and video to prove the cat is sick and allow them to observe symptoms for themselves!). Sigh.

Hopefully some day.

I know there’s the fish antibiotics trick, but I honestly loathe playing veterinarian for animals in my care :/

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
1st off, TY beyond words for caring for him! I am so grateful ppl like you EXIST!

2nd, our feral has same eye issues. He has puffy face. Vet said prolly a URI back in Dec. when he went in, but he's FiV & thus can't fight it well. She did inject Covenia long-acting antibio in late Dec., ( THE only time i ever trapped him) but can't retrap yet, as he's now smart & avoids it & now the Covid problem. :(

If I were you, I'd use ANY means to trap him so long as you can find ANY vet at this time to take him. It matters not what you say to them, as his HEALTH is far more import than what it takes to get him help. He needs help asap I'd say. We use VetriScience Lysine Plus chews at 4x daily at 250mg/chew = 1000mg total.

But he needs more antiobio's & more repairs, I'm sure. I watch over him here in AZ & it is warm enough & he is out back of my apt. He has his Kitty Tube but somedays roams to next yards to chase females. I really need him in to vet asap too, but we're going to try to move back east after Aug. lease ends. Til then I can't trap nor get him inside. But I will keep an eye on him.

Again, please try anything to help PK. I'd start asap w/ L-Lysine. Then trap him some way if any way poss & get him to a vet. I know far easier said than done, & costs a pretty penny but again I would sacrifice on my end, anything I need too, to try to help protect a kitty's' life/health. It is their ONLY wealth. :)

Lastly, it definitely could be allergies. He has no discharge of any color fluids, does he? My feral does have white mucous sometimes & again, a URI or also possible outside allergens, said vet.
Thank YOU for taking care of your feral!!!

Trapping isn’t the problem - well, okay, it kind of is because this cat has been eluding our traps for almost 3 years now 😂 I suppose I should say that taking him to a vet isn’t an issue - meaning we have several vets who will accept ferals, even now.

The issue is where to keep him once he’s trapped.

We considered trapping him, treating the URI-like illness, neutering once better, releasing him, then retrapping him after we have a room available again so he can be evaluated for other health issues that may force us to hold onto him permanently for his safety.

But he’s already been so incredibly trap-savvy that I’m already having to use all the tricks in the book (plus a couple new ones!). I feel like I only have one chance to trap him, which means we need to be prepared for a long term hold/permanent residence, and we just don’t have space for that at the moment

How is your boy doing now?

The ocular discharge looks clear to me from the videos, but I think discharge color can only be accurately observed up close and in person, unfortunately.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea. I think you’re going to have to do some hands on care. That ear, the eyes and just his general health seems to be on a downward spiral. At this point I don’t think he’s going to have much objection to being isolated. I understand that he needs ventilation so the garage may not work. He didn’t even object to that opossum being BEHIND him in the video. Behind and he barely looked. Now is your chance to get him.
Are the kittens well now? I’ve seen a lot of people taking in cats. With so many people in isolation, a companion is very helpful. Especially for people without family. Maybe this is your chance for them too?
The cat cafe here got fosters for every cat! Make appeals and explain you need to be able to save PK.
All rescuers are struggling for supplies now. Especially the individuals without outside help. I’m hearing from lots of others. You are not alone. Hang in there. We are all in this together. :grouphug2:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed the head tilt right away also, in large part because I have a cat who does that sometimes. With him it because of ear mites. He will pick up mites and they apparently itch and he will walk around with his ear pointing down and his head to the side. Then he will stick his big back foot into it and scratch it like crazy which makes it hurt so he howls like somebody stepped on his tail and runs off giving me dirty looks like it was something I did. But usually with mites it's both ears so they alter depending on which one is bothering them the most. I was wondering at first if it might be from a tick but ticks drop off and crawl away after a short time so if it's more than a few days then it's something else, although a lot of areas now are entering tick season.
The swollen eyes remind me of mine when my allergies kick up really bad. Allergies not only cause tearing but they also cause swelling and redness. If it is allergies then something like Benadryl would help right away. But those are the things that came to my mind. Some kind of toxin would also be a possibility. Is somebody spraying to kill weeds in the places he hangs out?

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Yea. I think you’re going to have to do some hands on care. That ear, the eyes and just his general health seems to be on a downward spiral. At this point I don’t think he’s going to have much objection to being isolated. I understand that he needs ventilation so the garage may not work. He didn’t even object to that opossum being BEHIND him in the video. Behind and he barely looked. Now is your chance to get him.
Are the kittens well now? I’ve seen a lot of people taking in cats. With so many people in isolation, a companion is very helpful. Especially for people without family. Maybe this is your chance for them too?
The cat cafe here got fosters for every cat! Make appeals and explain you need to be able to save PK.
All rescuers are struggling for supplies now. Especially the individuals without outside help. I’m hearing from lots of others. You are not alone. Hang in there. We are all in this together. :grouphug2:
To be fair, the cats never have issues with the opossums! Mainly because opossums completely ignore them 😂

Unfortunately, wildlife - particular during baby season - gets a little crazy around here. The opossums, raccoons, and cats coexist fine. The foxes and stay clear of everyone else and vice versa, and the only actual conflict is from cat vs cat or raccoon vs raccoon.

But getting PK inside is huge advantage in part because he is the only reason we have food out at night to begin with. The other 14 or so cats either come during the day or will do so if I start picking up the food at night.

The kittens are going through another round of bronchitis treatment right now.

After that, the issues are more about figuring out how to go about adoption.

Generally, someone would come to our home, into the kitten room, and meet them all while I ask about what the adopter is looking for, talk to them about their application, and describe the individual personality of each kitten.

Then after they choose a kitten, we schedule a home visit, and a subsequent drop off if everything goes well.

This is extremely difficult to do with Covid right now... I’m severely immunocompromised, and many adopters of course are too. So we have no idea how we’re going to go about the adoption process right now.

Because these kittens have been with us so long now too, we are very attached and even more protective than normal.

I just have no idea how we’re going to do it now. We’re trying to figure that out, but there are just so many unknowns and risks.

We also aren’t comfortable with adopting out to people with no pets who suddenly want one now with quarantine - the question of whether they will still want the animal or have time for it once things return to normalcy is too great to us.

We already had a lot of problems with people returning kittens and puppies in particular before the pandemic. People have plenty of time for pets now - but we want to try to ensure they reasonably still will in a year from now too.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed the head tilt right away also, in large part because I have a cat who does that sometimes. With him it because of ear mites. He will pick up mites and they apparently itch and he will walk around with his ear pointing down and his head to the side. Then he will stick his big back foot into it and scratch it like crazy which makes it hurt so he howls like somebody stepped on his tail and runs off giving me dirty looks like it was something I did. But usually with mites it's both ears so they alter depending on which one is bothering them the most. I was wondering at first if it might be from a tick but ticks drop off and crawl away after a short time so if it's more than a few days then it's something else, although a lot of areas now are entering tick season.
The swollen eyes remind me of mine when my allergies kick up really bad. Allergies not only cause tearing but they also cause swelling and redness. If it is allergies then something like Benadryl would help right away. But those are the things that came to my mind. Some kind of toxin would also be a possibility. Is somebody spraying to kill weeds in the places he hangs out?
Pretty Kitty showed up with the head tilt in August or September, so it’s been quite a while.

The tilt is always on the same side. Never seen any scratching or real head shaking.

When he first showed up, it was really bad. He was extremely contorted, had erratic eye and body movement, we weren’t sure if he still even had his sight, he was disoriented, etc. It was scary, I thought he was having a seizure :(

This was from the first night he came back after his 4 month hiatus. He seemed to hear us, but couldn’t quite see or perceive us (we were looking and filming through a speak easy window in the door) -

View media item 422735
And in this one he’s a bit obscured behind the bush, but you can get an idea of how erratic his movement was and his general disorientation (turn your screen brightness up!) -

View media item 422734
Now he appears to only have the residual head tilt that is likely permanent. He’s much calmer, eyes are normal, coat and body condition improved - that’s why the vets deemed him likely stable for now. He seems to have gotten through the worst of it.

Lot of things could cause it. Unfortunately, like I said, he came back like this after being MIA for 4 months, so we have no idea where he was, what he was doing, or what happened during that time :/

Do you know if allergies can really look this bad? I’ve never seen it so severe before. But that definitely seems plausible if his ear injury is self-inflicted.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know the worries of adopting out. Returns are always a problem. Getting them to prepay vet care can help you to be sure they are a serious kitty lover. Make it size able and non returnable by the vet. Spread out for shots etc. over a long time can help. That’s a commitment and also tells you the kitty will get proper care. Most shelters are doing video and FaceTime interactions until the final meeting. Then social distancing with mask and gloves. Also some are allowing one person in the cat room with them being under video surveillance during that time. Hopefully this corona will be passing soon and by then the kittens will be ready.
Whether that is allergies in his eyes or not, asking a vet about antibiotics seems appropriate. Also about an antihistamine. I always hesitate to give antihistamines because I know how they make me feel but it really has helped BJ. We just has a massive rainfall so I am wondering if he will be helped or start sneezing again. Mold or pollen or other?
The tilt could be from his previous issues. If you can get your hands on him you may find some old injuries. I am wondering if he had a head injury when he went MIA. There are just so many possibilities. Mites cause that too and he could scratch raw but that’s a lot of raw for one night. I know you know this but remember that any sick or compromised animal becomes prey. Easy mark to things like dogs, hawks, humans, etc. . The tilt could be mites, vertigo, pain, and any number of things. He just really needs to be evaluated by a vet. Hands on. I worry that you may miss your chance to get him. This is your best chance since he is willing to go into the drop trap. I am totally in love with him. I see why you would love to snuggle that fur. OMGoodness what a sweetheart!
One other thought, any fosters that would be willing to take him or the kittens? That is less of a commitment and you get them back when you have the space. Lots of people are willing to do that right now, knowing they can enjoy them but return them later. PK would need someone with a lot of experience but maybe the kittens?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pretty Kitty showed up with the head tilt in August or September, so it’s been quite a while.

The tilt is always on the same side. Never seen any scratching or real head shaking.

When he first showed up, it was really bad. He was extremely contorted, had erratic eye and body movement, we weren’t sure if he still even had his sight, he was disoriented, etc. It was scary, I thought he was having a seizure :(

This was from the first night he came back after his 4 month hiatus. He seemed to hear us, but couldn’t quite see or perceive us (we were looking and filming through a speak easy window in the door) -

View media item 422735
And in this one he’s a bit obscured behind the bush, but you can get an idea of how erratic his movement was and his general disorientation (turn your screen brightness up!) -

View media item 422734
Now he appears to only have the residual head tilt that is likely permanent. He’s much calmer, eyes are normal, coat and body condition improved - that’s why the vets deemed him likely stable for now. He seems to have gotten through the worst of it.

Lot of things could cause it. Unfortunately, like I said, he came back like this after being MIA for 4 months, so we have no idea where he was, what he was doing, or what happened during that time :/

Do you know if allergies can really look this bad? I’ve never seen it so severe before. But that definitely seems plausible if his ear injury is self-inflicted.
I don't know how bad allergies can get in cats but in me, yeah. One memorable time I accidentally walked into a patch of tall brome grass. Wasn't watching where I was going, looked down and my pants were covered in yellow dust. Said an expletive and headed for the house. By the time I got there I was already in trouble. I ended up with my eyes swelling shut that time and it took about 4 days before most of the swelling went down. Not fun. But the thing is it does go down unless there is continuing exposure going on. So he would need to be getting into it again and again. The worst thing is often the reaction gets worse over time as the body gets more sensitized to whatever it is. But it's just a guess as to the possibility. Also the thing with allergies is that there is not a high temperature, and whatever fluid there is is clear because it is not an infection, it just a crazy reaction to something. When they do skin tests they make a little scratch and put a drop of allergen on it. If it blows up like a mosquito bite your allergic to it. If it looks like a bad hornet sting with fluid leaking out of it your really allergic to it and it could be life threatening if you get exposed to a lot of it. So allergies can be bad and they can get worse over time with more exposure.

I did a quick look up of the symptoms of an ear infection and they are pretty rare in cats but do happen. Here is the list of symptoms.

If your furry friend has an ear infection, you might notice the following:
  • Discomfort when the base of the ears are massaged.
  • Self-inflicted skin trauma from scratching.
  • Dark or crusty debris in the ear canal opening.
  • A wet sound when the ears are gently massaged.
  • Head tilt or incoordination.
  • Uneven pupil size.
You have one good picture there where it looks like he has uneven pupil size. The uncoordination would come from problems with the inner ear effecting balance. So that is a possibility.