lying pet owners! Claimed to have rescued a cat !

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt he doesn't have balls because of color-linked infertility. I'm sure he was neutered if he was owned before. Very few people are willing to live with a tomcat. As I understand it, infertile male torties are full toms in every other sense, they just "shoot blanks".
Having never met one, much less quite that "upclose and personal," I had no clue.  Glad to know that.  Ya know, I did know that, too.  I remember an article suggesting neutering even infertile toms to prevent spraying.  Just slipped my mind.  Lots of things do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the information when it was first suggested he could be calico. I found several articles stating many of the male calicoes testies never drop due to the extra X chromosome. They apparently from what I understand if it hold both male and female DNA. Causing the testicals to not desend, or just not be there, in both instances the cats penis would have a lack of barbs ( that's how they keep it in lol ouch ) due to the lack of testosterone in the cats body. The reason the vets press to spay them ( removing the gonads from within) is because in almost all cases of them being internal the cat will eventually suffer from testicular cancer [emoji]128553[/emoji]Poor guys can't get a brake- from what I understand even if they drop and everything chances are male calicoes are still infertile 9 out of 10 cases..... I've lived with a fully intact tom before and it being just him, I never found any evidence of him spraying- that was the calicoe that was suppose to be a girl lol but he still could have. I just probably didn't see it. My mom had one that she swares never even peed in the house because she kept the litter box outside when he was a kitten so he learned to on go outside like a dog.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It will be really interesting to find out if he is a male calico and to find out if he's been neutered or not. Has the vet checked him over? I wonder what they make of him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. My cousin had a cryptorchid cat (both testes undescended), so the vet said to wait until he started acting "tommy" before going in to look for them. And sure enough, he decided he was a tomcat around 10 months of age. . .never sprayed but acted like a full tom in every other respect. So retained testicles must still release testosterone or he wouldn't have acted like that. Poor guy, they had to cut him in 3 places to find both testicles. Of course, if the cat didn't have any testicle at all, I guess he wouldn't act tommy!

But his "sack" looks very different from a normally neutered cat. Because his scrotum never got stretched out by testicles, he's very flat, like a newborn kitten. Even (normal) 8-week-old kittens have a larger sack than he does :lol3:. Even those of my boys who were neutered young still aren't that flat. So I think someone who has seen the differences between a neutered boy and a cryptorchid could tell if he ever had any balls in his sack. . .but even most vets don't see that many cryptorchids so it's probably going to be difficult to get an answer. If he isn't acting tommy I don't know if I'd pursue the matter, it is true that retained testicles can get infected or cancerous but at the same time you wouldn't want to subject him to abdominal surgery without knowing for sure. That's kind of a hard one to decide on.

I'm not sure if the craigslist cat is a calico or not. The lighter spot might just be a bleachy area under his tail. . .I've noticed a lot of longhairs have lighter fur on the underside of their tails. I'd have to see him in person to get a good look at that fur. (One of my males had very bright orange-y brown around his face and underside. But it was just rufousing, not genetic red).

Last edited:

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spoke with the woman selling that cat, she said she has vet documentation- I was curious lol.. Idk if I believe her or not because so many people lie on there. But he is very pretty and looks to be tricolor to me.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko is gorgeous and is one lucky fellow....

I am so glad you rescued him.

I have been reading this thread for a while...

poor kitty...he seems like such a sweet kitty. Wonder what kind of he!! he had to endure..poor thing...

I am glad that those women at least took him to YOU!! There was karma or God involved in this....

some things are just meant to be..

On behalf of Meeko, I really want to thank you....

Thank you for all the kitties..

Just thank you, in general...

A real good story for this time of year...

Please keep us updated....

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We know for sure he was starved of food and water. And physically neglected. He is scared of brooms. Hid under the bed for while every time I used it. He still mostly stays in our master bedroom. But since we have young kids, a dog, and a bobcat mix kitten I can't say I blame him lol. He is quite the cuddler. Apparently he wakes up my husband in the middle of the night with a head bump so that he will pick up the covers for Meeko to get under them. Then he buries head into my husbands side. Since he has gained some strength back he has decided he isn't a fan of our bull dog, Sophie. Who is probably more scared of him than he is of her. He will follow me downstairs if it's late and quite but other than that he stays up stairs in my room and bathroom. Amazingly enough he is completely dosile with our kids 7,4, and 7 month old. He lets out baby grab on him and pull on him while he lays next to him. ( I never let Wyatt pull too hard just in case ), he will also head bump little Wyatt wrapping his tail all around him. It's amazing how a animal who has been threw so much can still be so forgiving and loving.... I envy animals for that trait.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I spoke with the woman selling that cat, she said she has vet documentation- I was curious lol.. Idk if I believe her or not because so many people lie on there. But he is very pretty and looks to be tricolor to me.
Looks like a tri-color Turkish Van.  Of course, the photo makes it a bit hard to tell.  The orange on the tail looks very orange, a little intense for just a lighter hair on the underside of the tail.  Definitely a long-haired van-marked cat, and I wish I could have  him.  BUT...only one kitteh at a time here, and The Divine Ms. H has my heart and soul for the duration of her life.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We actually had no choice but to give him to a girl I know- we also have to give up kit because my doctor said the cats is why I'm always sick- something about the constant exposure to the allergens. I can't take allergy meds or the shot because it causes me to have seizures

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that! My heart breaks for you as you obviously care a lot for Kit and rescued the big boy! Glad he found you and now has a safe, loving home as he did with you!

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a woman here selling a angora male calico on Craigslist
I don't think this one is a tricolor. I think he is a van brown tabby, probably would have had a classic pattern and along with the fluffy tail we don't see "stripes" but the brown (and some brown tabbies have a fairly rich orange tone...or it could be the picture) and the black from his tabbiness. I've seen people call brown tabbies calico when they had that rich orange and also some white spotting.....

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is our beautiful big boy doing?     Sorry just read that you had to give him up 

Last edited:

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your good lol... Meeko is in a good home. He is following them around the house because he is the only pet. He is getting tons of attention. Kit also went to a new family. She is doing great. She got new toys with them too. I've been getting picture updates on them daily, I miss kit the most because I raised her from a tiny thing. But I just couldn't take being sick like that any longer, or my boys getting sick constantly. But I did make sure they went to good families/ couples.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, well I'm sorry that you couldn't keep him but I'm very glad to hear he has gone to a good home. That's too bad about having to give up Kit as well.

It can't be helped.

If ever you get a photo or an update from his new family please let us know how he is doing. I'd love to see what he looks like when he's all fluffy again.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far the families have been staying in contact with me. Sending photos threw Facebook .im very glad I was able to fine them perfectly matching homes. Kit even has a little kid to play with.

gmsantiago77

Buttercup vs Butterballs
Kitten
Purraise
OK, am I losing my mind, or am I looking at a male calico? I swear I see black, cream, and white. You know, only about 1 in 3000 tri-colored cats are male, having an XXY chromosome, and of those, only 1/10,000 are fertile? I've never seen a male calico before. Now I'm doubly glad you saved him. We knew he was a rare and special kitty, now I know just how even more rare he is!
I just learned that my cat is a male and a Calico and Hertel after having the cat for nearly three years.