lying pet owners! Claimed to have rescued a cat !

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a few days ago a client ask me to groom her poodle puppy (which was really a shih Tzu) and a cat they claimed they rescued when a "friend" threw him out

this photo was prior to removing his hair. while grooming one of the girls ask me " if someone brought him to you like this as their pet what would you do ?" I told her that had I not known he was a rescue I would see this as cruelty. He was matted down to the skin everywhere accept the head, tail, and feet... with what resembled cradle cap ( bad dandruff newborn babies get) . At this point the two women looked at each other and ask me if I wanted to keep him and that they thought his recovery would be too much for them to be able to handle. Of course I agreed to take him.. How could I not take him, after all he is allowing me to groom him without an issue.. right? so after I groomed the " poodle pup" lol they paid me for grooming the puppy and left me with this big guy.. I continued to groom this guy for hours, being gentle and slow. talking him threw every step (started at 5 pm, didn't finish completely till the next evening due to wanting him to rest ).... I noticed that night he was a bit skinny ...

but I didn't think much of it as they said he was a rescue. but I began to notice, some abnormalities. I did check his hydration and his skin did not even come close to snapping back in place in any way... swollen gums, sunken eyes, I can easily with no problem find his hips, and even his paws appear to be sunken in.... you can tell that he once was a fat cat, or atleast a healthy cat.... he is still very loving and sweet...

these are pictures of meeko ... we almost named him NIDA but meeko just slipped out and stuck lol

at first he stayed hidden and wouldn't come out... he just wanted wet food and water.... which I gave him... tonight nearly 4 days later was the first time I have seen him lick himself, in any way... he also actually started acting like a cat and knocked a can over being nosey....

I began to ask the women I got him from some questions and see if there friend had ever been told he was diabetic, and I explained that I would love to talk with her and explain im not mad but I just need to know what is wrong with him so I can help him.... after that they blocked me from their number. so I believe these women lied to me about this beautiful cat.

I am sure he isn't diabetic, just malnourished. and I assure you this isn't the first time I have saved an animal against all odds and without a vet to charge me hundreds. Ive saved parvo and distemper puppies, using pepto, pedialite , and Imodium... so I know I can save this guy given some love and time and of course food..... I am just so angry that people would do this to him. he is soooooo sweet and kind. he has started to great me at my bedroom door when I come in, and comes when gestured to receive love. tonight he groomed himself for a few momments... ( first time ive seen him do that) ....   my husband and I have decided to keep him. If he does not continue to improve I will be seeking veterinarian care. but as of now he is improving. and continues to do so. I will be making an apt to have an exam done and his shots. but wont be taking him to emergency care as they charge entirely too much. and he has stable vitals.

I do have extensive experience in dealing with emaciated animals, under the observation of a vet. I do know the risks associated with treating him myself. please do not start bashing me for not taking him in a having them run every test in the book and asking for all the money I know I don't have.

as you can see he enjoys steeling baths lol  

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy :( How can anyone do this to an animal is beyond me. He's just gorgeous and I'm glad he has someone that's looking out for him and taking care of him. I know you'll take him to the vet if he seems really unwell and needs the help. If you've got experience in this then you know what you're doing. I hope he continues to improve and enjoys his new forever home where he can experience love and care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just couldn't believe it when I noticed how sunken his eyes were and bad his nails are.... Some people should never have a pet... Its just infuriating to see how much he has been threw and is still so loving

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That this cat was brought to you was what I consider a sign that the Cat Goddess does watch over her own.  Thank you for being part of the solution!

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband actually said no, and then when he came home he seen he was still here and I showed him why. As he watched Meeko allow the shave and bath he grew fonder and fonder of him then told me " God obviously wanted you in his life"

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor thing! He looks like such a beautiful boy. I have a couple of long haired tuxedos that look a lot like him.

I'm so glad they handed him over to you rather than just dump him somewhere. At least they did that one good thing for him, in spite of all the neglect.

Thank you for being his guardian angel, please keep us updated on his progress.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for letting this sweet guy know there are angels here on earth, I'm so happy he found you. I, too, have saved several starving cats, through force feeding and pedialite, I can't afford a vet for all but the most critical. I pray he brings you much love and happiness, your husband sounds like an angel too, I think mine has given up on trying to limit what I do with the strays around here, if they are starving they get fed, period. All the luck, and I'm sure you will be blessed for your loving heart!

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AMAZING UPDATE!!! we woke up this morning to Meeko running threw our room with my bobcat mix, jumping in our bed, all cuddles!!! It was the best feeling to wake up to this cat being a cat!!!

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He truly is a sweet heart, he still stays mainly in mine and my husbands room and bathroom but he is slowly coming out more and more. He has also started getting into our bed ( for a while he only slept under it hiding) he has also started grooming him self regularly [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128512[/emoji]... And has remembered it's ok to play and be a cat. I absolutely love this huge guy... I told my husband I could almost understand the matting if he were viscous when brushed... But there was no reason for him looking the way he did. I recently go a glucose meter to test his blood sugar as well.. Will be getting strips this week. Just to make sure he isn't diabetic. But he doesn't seem to be... He did have some coordination issues for a few days when he first came but after starting a high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat ( raw fish) diet that has seemed to clear up a lot... I absolutely hate seeing animals go threw this... He has helped me too tho , he made me realize that I should go back to school to get my veterinarian medical degree, because if I can help him and so others that are so far gone with such bare minimal equipment, imagine what I could do with all the fun stuff [emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji]

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He truly is a sweet heart, he still stays mainly in mine and my husbands room and bathroom but he is slowly coming out more and more. He has also started getting into our bed ( for a while he only slept under it hiding) he has also started grooming him self regularly [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128512[/emoji]... And has remembered it's ok to play and be a cat. I absolutely love this huge guy... I told my husband I could almost understand the matting if he were viscous when brushed... But there was no reason for him looking the way he did. I recently go a glucose meter to test his blood sugar as well.. Will be getting strips this week. Just to make sure he isn't diabetic. But he doesn't seem to be... He did have some coordination issues for a few days when he first came but after starting a high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat ( raw fish) diet that has seemed to clear up a lot... I absolutely hate seeing animals go threw this... He has helped me too tho , he made me realize that I should go back to school to get my veterinarian medical degree, because if I can help him and so others that are so far gone with such bare minimal equipment, imagine what I could do with all the fun stuff [emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji]
Good on you, that would be wonderful to have a resident vet on the board 
please keep us posted as to how this beautiful boy does 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Decades of horse rescue. Not once has someone owned what they done to a helpless animal locked in a corral or barn. Even if there was proof they'd owned them for years they would claim to have just rescued the horse from a kill auction. Or the horse is sick. It's never seen a vet but they know it's just sick.

My neighbor will claim to love her cats. And she does until they turn into sexually mature cats that get hurled out the door. I seen one on the main road on the way to visit my cat in the ICU. Smashed in half. I had half a mind to take a picture and post it on the family FB circle.

Thank you for taking in this cat and even more for seeing through the bull.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you!  You know, after watching the news and such, I come here to renew my faith that there are good people in this world, and you are one of them.

Just had a thought about his short bout with uncoordination.  Is it possible that he grew so used to walking oddly to accommodate the extreme matting that he needed to relearn to walk without them?  Kind of like getting his lands legs back? 

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its completely possible that the loss of hair could cause some balance issues. UPDATE - the girls that left him with me texted me telling me that their " friend" wanted him back... I sent the girls photos and videos of his condition that first night showing how dehydrated and starved he was and explained that Meeko is not leaving, and definitely not going back to anyone who let him be in that condition.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its completely possible that the loss of hair could cause some balance issues. UPDATE - the girls that left him with me texted me telling me that their " friend" wanted him back... I sent the girls photos and videos of his condition that first night showing how dehydrated and starved he was and explained that Meeko is not leaving, and definitely not going back to anyone who let him be in that condition.
Good for you!!!!! that poor kitty needs to be with someone who will look after him. You sound like a person I wouldn't want to cross when dealing with a kittty's well-being 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  And. frankly, I wouldn't be too surprised if the puppy didn't end up back with you in the same condition as Meeko when they realize that their precious "poodle" isn't (a poodle, that is).

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAVING MEEKO! I am so happy to hear such a wonderful cat is in such amazing hands 

And definitely, those ladies don't deserve Meeko, even if what they say is true. 

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The both were rather upset when I explained to them that the puppy was in fact a shihtzu not a poodle. You could tell they were uneducated, very low class girls. Usually I wouldn't describe someone as such, but when the shoe fits might as well lace it up lol... I am happy to have Meeko [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji] he is a great cuddle buddy.. Even tho my bobcat mix doesn't spend as much time cuddleing with me lately... He has learned his new name tho [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128512[/emoji] and comes when called.. Tomorrow he will be getting another bath to help him skin ( he still doesn't groom as much as he should and he has a lot of dandruff left to scrub off)

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so nice to hear a happy ending to a story that could easily have been a tragic ending.

We've had many rescue dogs and cats, more than I can count. In some cases, from people we knew. Dogs and cats that have been hit and swung by the tails. I can't begin to tell you what happened to my Sara before we got her. But definitely had some form of kitty-PTSD. The poor thing pulled her hair out for the first few years we had her. It saddens me how people can be so cruel.

And as far as vet, I get it completely. You probably are at a point where you know what to look for. Just like parents that have years of experience don't take their kids to the doctor for every sniffle or every time they throw up. You just KNOW though when you do have to take them in.