Lutein And/or Other Vitamins/supplements Safe To Add To Cat's Diet?

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason I ask this is because a couple years ago my previous vet suggested I purchase lutein tablets and crush about a quarter or a half of the pill and mix it in with his wet food. I forgot honestly why he suggested it but I was just curious if there's anything anyone suggests I can do the same with for my 4 year old kitty. Thanks a lot in advance for all of everyone's suggestions as well as all your advice, it's very much appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize for the mistake, it was Lysine not lutein

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not sure why you would want to give your cat Lysine unless there is an actual need for it. Below is a basic description of what Lysine is typically used for. Hope this helps.

What is Cat Lysine?
Cat Lysine or L-Lysine for cats is used to treat upper respiratory problems or feline herpes. Not only can it improve their

upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms, but also inflammation of the eyes and conjunctivitis (eye discharge) caused by feline herpes.

Lysine Can Help & Prevent the Following:
  • Feline herpes symptoms
  • Cold sores
  • Fever blisters
  • Upper respiratory infections (URI) symptoms
  • Conjunctivitis (eye discharge, swollen, irritated, red, itchy, dry, cloudy)
  • Squinting
  • Sneezing
  • Sinus congestion or discharge
  • Throat and mouth sores
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Lethargy
  • Panting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Not sure why you would want to give your cat Lysine unless there is an actual need for it. Below is a basic description of what Lysine is typically used for. Hope this helps.

What is Cat Lysine?
Cat Lysine or L-Lysine for cats is used to treat upper respiratory problems or feline herpes. Not only can it improve their

upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms, but also inflammation of the eyes and conjunctivitis (eye discharge) caused by feline herpes.

Lysine Can Help & Prevent the Following:
  • Feline herpes symptoms
  • Cold sores
  • Fever blisters
  • Upper respiratory infections (URI) symptoms
  • Conjunctivitis (eye discharge, swollen, irritated, red, itchy, dry, cloudy)
  • Squinting
  • Sneezing
  • Sinus congestion or discharge
  • Throat and mouth sores
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Lethargy
  • Panting
Ahhh OK, that sounds 100% familiar now! My previous cat that passed away 4 years ago was recommended L-Lysine crushed on top of his wet food or mixed with it because he had a couple upper respiratory infections. Thanks for that info, anyone ekaeseinout is also greatly appreciated and welcome :)