Luna's eye problem

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
neely neely yes, Mumu was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, that is so thoughtful of you to remember and to ask about her. She was treated with the I-131 therapy, but then she went hypothyroid as a result. We are treating her with the levothyroxine in a compounded liquid, which weirdly she much prefers to the methimazole ear gel. However, we are still trying to get the dosage correct and we think the phosphate binder we were using for her kidney disease was affecting the absorption of the levothyroxine. But it's under control more or less. ❤

Edited to add: the blindness is not a result of the hyperthyroidism or the hypothyroidism, as far as the opthalmologist is concerned. Unfortunately Mumu is somehow genetically predisposed to glaucoma. 😭

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She was treated with the I-131 therapy, but then she went hypothyroid as a result.
Oh no, I'm so sorry but it sounds like your vet and you have the situation under control. It's my understanding that hypothyroidism can be well managed and I hope that's the case for Mumu. :hugs:

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so sorry but it sounds like your vet and you have the situation under control. It's my understanding that hypothyroidism can be well managed and I hope that's the case for Mumu. :hugs:
Thanks, neely neely . We are definitely keeping a close eye on her thyroid levels and her kidney values. She is at the age now where there is a lot going on, so the support and knowledge at thecatsite are so useful!