Lump Under Cat's Jaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well recently, within the past few days I've noticed my cat Whiskers has a lump on the left side under his jaw and it's gotten a bit larger. I don't think its an infection and I'm worried due to his age, he's just turned 13. Feb 12th, that it could possibly be cancer. He won't let me open his mouth to see it, something he's never done. The lump doesn't feel like its fluid or soft, it feels like bone. The soonest we can get to the Vet is Thurs. He's still eating as long as his food is thinned to a soupy consistency, purring and doing ok. He has lost a little weight over the past few months but I thought it could be his age showing. He does drool a bit, especially when he's sleeping. Please send prayers and positive thoughts our way.​

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fact that you say it feels like bone is concerning, glad he is seeing a vet tmrw.
Given the worst case scenario, you are taking action fast which gives the very best outcome possible, no matter what it is.
Please update after visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, our update is not a good one which is why I've hesitated to post it. Vet is pretty sure its bone cancer. Will have x rays done on Wednesday but he was sent home with pain meds and an antibiotic for a secondary infection in his lower teeth. It has gotten larger since when I first discovered it and the vet knows this.
He's eating decently and he's still enjoying life so we're just going to take it a day at a time.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this sad news, I was afraid of that when you said it felt like bone....
Bone cancer is quite aggressive as I'm sure the vet told you.
That's how you were able to see a size diff in just days.

Terrible to hear. :disappointed:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry about this sad news!
I do hope Whiskers is still able to enjoy his life at the moment...
What did the vet tell you to do? What is his plan now?
Well, after the x rays I think we're just going to try to keep him comfortable and happy best that we can until h has more bad days than good ones. Kind of like at home hospice.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update. Whiskers is still with us. He's lost a little weight. The lump has doubled in size but he still is enjoying life. He's on metacam and doing ok. He's not as interested in grooming anymore but I help with that. He still loves his brushing and sun puddles.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wanted to post an update on my sweet whiskers. He was put to sleep today. Over the weekend his jaw shifted and made eating difficult. He also began losing weight and sleeping more. I didnt want him to reach the point where he would be suffering. He didn't deserve that.

Back at his original diagnosis, he was given a week to no more than a month. He stayed in good health up til two days ago. So he stayed for two months. He was a fighter all his days, back as a little kitten, when he had urinary issues and even so when it was his time to go. He ended up needing several doses to pass peacefully. He has a nice little spot out by the back window where he loved to look out and see the birds.

Its been a rough few days and I really miss him.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are real warriors, and when they pass we see them as heroes.
Up there there must be an army of warrior kitties.
Can you just imagine what a wonderful place it must be?

RIP Whiskers, now you can stop fighting, you can rest now.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I think your timing was spot on and surely saved him from suffering which up until now has likely been manageable and tolerable, but there comes a turning point, and give yourself credit for knowing when the time has come despite the dreaded loss you know is coming for you.
Surely he thanks you too in his way.

We love and cherish our furry companions, they bring so much to our lives it's hard to remember life before them, it's tragic that in exchange for the years of love and companionship is the heartbreak that they will not be with us always.

Status
Not open for further replies.