Lump On Side Of Jaw

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Evie has this strange lump on the side of her jaw that I only noticed today. It doesn't seem to bother her and she is eating/playing/litterboxing normally. She did get out for a second the other day, was promptly brought right back in. Are insect bites usually prevalent in cats? It's a good sized swollen area, maybe the size of a dime.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know about prevalent but insect bites do happen. Does your vet allow you to send in pictures?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I can call and ask. It isn't a hard lump, very squishy but non-mobile. The only reason I noticed it was because she happened to turn her head a certain way and it stood out.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lets hope it just goes on its own. Are you able to take a photo then you will know if it gets bigger.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's a smart idea. I will get a picture tonight when I have a second pair of hands to help take the photo!

For what it's worth:
Non-painful
Soft
Eats fine (no chewing only on one side or dropping food out her mouth)
No drooling
Gums look good
No puncture marks
Alert and active (no hiding)
Still seeks out snuggles and head scratches

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I believe her submandular lymph node on the same side of her face is also swollen. In my unprofessional eyes, it looks like she has a non-painful tooth abscess (if there is there such a thing?) and her lymph system is responding accordingly. Lord help me, we don't need another vet bill. My husband will take her in on Monday if they can't squeak us in tomorrow morning.

Evie is still acting normally, so there's that!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor girl. Vets just dont know what to charge, it costs money just to walk through the door. Hope its a quick and easy fix for Evie. Let us know how she gets on.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
The lump and lymph node felt better (seemed smaller) this morning so we are going to keep the Friday appointment. She is still acting her usual self.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: my husband just called me (I live away from home Monday to Thursday) and said that the spot was an abscess and just popped on its own. He said he squeezed out what he could and that the lump has reduced by about 85%. An abscess would also explain the swollen lymph node. I'll still take her to the vet on Friday because I'm sure she will need an antibiotic but it seems like good news! Can he put regular Neosporin on the wound until then?

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Husband is taking her tomorrow afternoon. The vet wanted to see her since the abscess already broke and he didn't want it to reform before Friday. Her chin looks really good!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
She was given an anti inflammatory and an antibiotic. The vet says to monitor it and if it comes back they will have a look at her teeth (she had a dental recently), but he was pretty sure it just came form roughhousing. Bonus image of Evie attempting to "hide" from the vet....

Attachments