Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
  1. Hi Guest! Cat experts Esther Mechler (founder of Spay USA) and Dr. Phil Bushby, DVM will be here from August 13th through 15th.
    Visit this time-limited forum here and post your questions about spaying and neutering cats.

Lump On Cats Side, Please Help

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by LCrimson, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LCrimson

LCrimson Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Apr 18, 2017
    Hello everyone,
    So tonight we noticed an internal lump on my male cats side. His left side in front of his back leg. Its pretty large, about the size of a ping pong ball, and im confident it wasnt there this morning. Hes acting normal (eating, drinking, bathroom) but he will meow or grumble when he lays down or if you touch his side. Ive looked for any kind of cuts or scratches but havent found any.
    Its internal and grew rapidly, I cant figure out what it is. If it doesnt look better in the morning we will go to the vet, but im wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

Margret purraised this.

2. miagi's_mommy

miagi's_mommy TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 19, 2004
    Do you have a picture? Of course if he’s in pain take him to the vet.

Margret purraised this.

3. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would take him to the vet to aspirate it. Biopsy if the vet thinks its necessary.

4. duckpond

duckpond TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    I would agree a vet visit is in order. You will want to find out what it is, and treat it now, so it does not get worse.
    Do let us know what you find out. :heartshape:

5. LCrimson

Apr 18, 2017
    I got a picture of him, as you can see it’s on his left side
    Thank you all

6. LCrimson

Apr 18, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. duckpond

duckpond TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    I would very much recommend the vet visit. Pretty boy, you will want to get him in soon, if its still growing it could get bad, quickly.
    Do keep us updated. Sending hopes that it is noting serious!:crossfingers:

jinxybean purraised this.

8. Daisy6

Daisy6 A cat's best friend Alpha Cat

Jun 2, 2018
    Floriida
    That lump is bigger than a ping pong ball. It could be a lot of things so testing will be needed to diagnose the problem. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

9. silkenpaw

silkenpaw TCS Member Super Cat

Oct 18, 2009
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Abscess? Cyst? Hernia? Cellulitis? He needs an exam and maybe some blood work. If fluid-filled, possibly an aspiration. Good luck and let us know what happens. Sending good vibes to your kitty.

jinxybean purraised this.

10. jinxybean

jinxybean TCS Member Adult Cat

Jul 26, 2015
    Hudson Ohio
    Yep. This.

OP, go to emergency vet care if your normal vet can't get you in quickly. Anything that swells this quickly needs immediate attention, if only to alleviate the pain and pressure.