Lump like thing on cat’s torso (Need Help)

Hamiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I was petting my cat around 2 days ago and I felt this weird bump. I can’t tell if something is stuck to his hair or if there something going on with him.
If you can identify this and tell me what might be wrong I will be very appreciative. Thank you in advance

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It kind of looks like a hair mat. Try teasing it around with your fingers to see if it's just fur or actually attached to his body.

If it's attached to his body you should have the vet take a look.

If it's just fur, you can cut it out, but be very very careful because a cat's skin can get stretched up into the mat so it's easy to cut them. Try putting a comb between the fur and the skin and only cut on the outside of the comb, that's a good way to do it safely.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly think that needs a vet. I'm concerned about what that central, different looking part might be:
20200804_184032.jpg
(I took a screenshot to show what I'm concerned about.)

It's definitely something I'd want to have looked at, and sooner rather than later. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I, too, think that looks peculiar. If your vet accepts pics I would send one to them and ask for their opinion. It is possible that you could take the cat in without an appointment and a vet tech would check it out. Does this cat go outside?

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I can see matted hair, but like others, don't know what that central part is that seems much smaller and smooth. It might just be the way the pic was taken, but it makes me suspicious.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty needs a vet. What I'm seeing is a yellowish sectional...something. It reminds me of either a cutaneous horn that grew in a curled/hooked form or perhaps some sort of larva/botfly.

Is it hard or soft, can you part the fur away from the base to see what the surrounding skin looks like?