Lump in leg after spay surgery

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flora got spayed 2 weeks ago and her incision looks fine (as far as I can tell), but I noticed today that she has a lump in her leg. Has anyone heard of this happening before? She has a lump beneath her incision too and I'm not sure if that is something I should be concerned about as well, but the leg lump has me confused. When she was spayed, I also had her get a rabies shot, so I don't know if that is related or not.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call the vet and ask where the vaccine was given and let them know about the leg. While you are at it, you can tell them you notice a lump beneath her incision - that is probably no cause for alarm, but you might as well tell them about it since you need to call about the vaccine anyway.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon for a small lump to from right at the end of a spay incision...I think it's just the way they stitch it up, causing a little bulb of scar tissue mixed with a bit of inflammation if it's a fresh spay. It could also be the inside stitch that hasn't dissolved yet. At least that's what I've been told before. Our girl still has this little "lump" at the end of where she was spayed, our vet just said it was scar tissue from the incision.
As for the lump on the leg. A rabies vaccination can cause a lump to form. Our boy had one too, It went away after a month or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to see if I could find out where I felt the lump on her leg, but I can't find it now. :dunno:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good! That means the swelling went down. Most likely from the vaccination. The lump around the spay incision is normal, there is swelling from the trauma and stitches that are inside. These usually go down after a while, but I have had some stay to a certain degree, then it is scar tissue.