Lump Between his Shoulder blades? Worried!!!

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1.5 yo stray cat has a lump underneath the skin. Which is smaller than marble, easily movable, round shape and firm. Its not soft nor hard. He is not uncomfortable when I touch, mostly purring! And he is energetic, eats, drinks very well, regular pee and poo activity. but He got his injections from between shoulder blades (which I didnt know its not recommended) :( I asked my regular vet which she said could be a reaction to rabies shot which he had two months ago. I didnt feel okay so I contacted with another vet (which is quite good) and he said could be 3 things. Lipoma, cyst or sarcoma :( he want me to monitor him and inform him about lumps growth weekly for a month. Even so it wont grow he wants to do blood work to see if his body fighting something. Is it possible to see from blood work if its sarcoma? After blood work if its not good, he wants to remove completely and send it to biopsy. I feel desperate, should I go this path? I am worried that my cat will go throug alot this time. Should I let him stay with lump and just monitor him. I dont want to lose him. I cant stop crying he is a lovely cat :( I need advice what should I do?

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow that’s scary to deal with 😕. My dog had lipomas. The vet needle aspirated it and it wasn’t a sarcoma although it could have been. Ask if they will needle aspirate it. No need for anesthesia, they can do it in the office. Sarcoma can happen from shots sometimes when they use an adjunct (sp?) in the vaccine to stimulate an extreme response to the vaccine. It’s supposed to be more effective (not!)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this. I think that Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca gave good advice: try to find a vet who can aspirate it. In a fine needle aspirate, the vet will take a small collection of cells from the area, and look at it under a microscope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for advice. He thinks that needle aspiration is good too. But he said I prefer remove all better than later. Its really hard to find a good vet in my country :( If its sarcoma should I consider treatment and let my cat go thourgh all this painful procedure? I read somewhere even with surgery and radiation the lump will come back eventually. Should I consider hollistic treatments? I also read somewhere that colloidal silver helps to boost immune system on cats with cancer? Did u ever heard this or anything else you can suggests? Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca abyeb abyeb

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The key to curing cancer (as things are now) is catching it early. And the first step (and sometimes the only necessary step) to curing cancer is surgically removing the lump. Before you can have that done you need to get a proper diagnosis, which means aspirating the lump and getting the lab work done.

How much do you trust this vet? More specifically, do you trust him to safely remove the lump if it is cancer? If so, I'd say that you should have the needle biopsy done, and have the lump removed (if it's cancer), and I would advise you to have that done as soon as possible. That may be all that's necessary.

If it isn't cancer, probably nothing else needs to be done, and you can stop worrying. And if it is cancer, at the very least removing it will give your cat more time before you have to help him cross the rainbow bridge, and possibly it will cure the cancer.

Also, it's a bad idea to "borrow trouble." You don't know that it will come back, so don't make your plans based on the assumption that it will. Should you have radiation treatments done on your cat? Only you can make that decision; they're expensive, they aren't guaranteed to work, and they're hard on the cat (unless there have been some major improvements in these treatments that I haven't heard about), but they may do the job. However, that isn't something you need to decide right now. Wait until you not only have a diagnosis but also have had the lump (if it's cancer) removed. Standard procedure should be to remove both the lump and some tissue all around it, and then have the extra tissue checked for cancer cells. If it's clear, chances are good that they got all of the cancer and it won't come back. This is information you need before you decide what to do about radiation!

Margret

Last edited:

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The key to curing cancer (as things are now) is catching it early. And the first step (and sometimes the only necessary step) to curing cancer is surgically removing the lump. Before you can have that done you need to get a proper diagnosis, which means aspirating the lump and getting the lab work done.

How much do you trust this vet? More specifically, do you trust him to safely remove the lump if it is cancer? If so, I'd say that you should have the needle biopsy done, and have the lump removed (if it's cancer), and I would advise you to have that done as soon as possible. That may be all that's necessary.

If it isn't cancer, probably nothing else needs to be done, and you can stop worrying. And if it is cancer, at the very least removing it will give your cat more time before you have to help him cross the rainbow bridge, and possibly it will cure the cancer.

Also, it's a bad idea to "borrow trouble." You don't know that it will come back, so don't make your plans based on the assumption that it will. Should you have radiation treatments done on your cat? Only you can make that decision; they're expensive, they aren't guaranteed to work, and they're hard on the cat (unless there have been some major improvements in these treatments that I haven't heard about), but they may do the job. However, that isn't something you need to decide right now. Wait until you not only have a diagnosis but also have had the lump (if it's cancer) removed. Standard procedure should be to remove both the lump and some tissue all around it, and then have the extra tissue checked for cancer cells. If it's clear, chances are good that they got all of the cancer and it won't come back. This is information you need before you decide what to do about radiation!

Margret
I really cant find a vet that I trust %100. I read somewhere this guy is a great surgeon. So I called him and he just suggested to wait for a month. If its getting bigger week by week he will remove it. If its not he wants to blood work see how is my cat body doing. Reacting to lump. In any cases he suggested removal to be sure. :( he also doesnt suggest needle biopsy. He said it will be more aggresive and I believe its the best thing to get remove. I am still not sure its something dangeorus or not. I wish there was a specific discription about lump differences. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are tough. If you’re worried about putting him through anesthesia or a procedure, don’t be. If it’s not cancerous, the recovery is quick and straightforward. And if it is cancer, you need to know that sooner than later.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he just suggested to wait for a month. If its getting bigger week by week he will remove it. If its not he wants to blood work see how is my cat body doing. Reacting to lump. In any cases he suggested removal to be sure.
That is a pretty typical way to deal with this. Keep an eye on it and see if it changes, bloodwork and removal.

Is he microchipped? Could be some scar tissue from a microchip. I assume you checked if you found him as a stray.

Also, cats don't just purr when they are happy and content. They purr when they are in pain or discomfort or upset to calm or comfort themselves. So it means nothing when people think their cats is ok despite "this or that" because they are purring.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just thought I'd chime in here to say one of my cats developed a lump where he'd gotten his rabies shot, and of course I instantly thought the worse. But I monitored it and it DID go away! Sometimes that happens. It was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly how long after the injection it developed, or how long it took to disappear, but the outcome can definitely be a good one :alright:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd chime in here to say one of my cats developed a lump where he'd gotten his rabies shot, and of course I instantly thought the worse. But I monitored it and it DID go away! Sometimes that happens. It was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly how long after the injection it developed, or how long it took to disappear, but the outcome can definitely be a good one :alright:
That is why the clinic I work at switched to the Purevax yearly rabies vaccine for cats instead of the 3 year one. It is a lot safer. Unfortunately I don't know the exact cause that made the 3 year one so bad, but the ingredients were different and so many cats ended up with tumors/cancer from it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish there was a specific discription about lump differences. :(
Unfortunately, there's no non-invasive way to tell what a lump is, though it's certainly reasonable to wish for one. However, as daftcat75 daftcat75 says:
Cats are tough. If you’re worried about putting him through anesthesia or a procedure, don’t be. If it’s not cancerous, the recovery is quick and straightforward. And if it is cancer, you need to know that sooner than later.
Also, if it is cancer, surgery is the best and first response to it, so either way it's a good idea.

That is a pretty typical way to deal with this. Keep an eye on it and see if it changes, bloodwork and removal.
:yeah:

Margret

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, bgcnpryy, I'm from Turkey as well. Like it's been said already the lump doesn't have to be cancer. Although cancer isn't the only thing that needs treatment. My main concern with a stray cat would be them hiding if things get worse. Not necessarily from humans (I haven't seen a cat hide from humans in Turkey) but from other stray cats. I think waiting for a month to see the changes in the lump is risky in that way. If it gets worse/painful, the cat may hide.

Could you find him a home at least temporarily? You can try to both boost his immune system, decrease stress, and keep an eye on the lump.

EDIT: OK I saw later the kitty is 1,5 years old. That's quite young. If I were you I would take him to the vet for a physical exam. What you felt might also be (healing) ringworm or something else.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is he microchipped? Could be some scar tissue from a microchip. I assume you checked if you found him as a stray.

Also, cats don't just purr when they are happy and content. They purr when they are in pain or discomfort or upset to calm or comfort themselves. So it means nothing when people think their cats is ok despite "this or that" because they are purring.
He is not microchipped. I found him on the street when he was 2 weeks old. And I bottlefeed him and took care of him. So I am sure he hasnt microchipped. :( this developed 2 months after rabbies shot or maybe lump was there but I just felt it. :(

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long did it go away? I hope it will happen like that.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, bgcnpryy, I'm from Turkey as well. Like it's been said already the lump doesn't have to be cancer. Although cancer isn't the only thing that needs treatment. My main concern with a stray cat would be them hiding if things get worse. Not necessarily from humans (I haven't seen a cat hide from humans in Turkey) but from other stray cats. I think waiting for a month to see the changes in the lump is risky in that way. If it gets worse/painful, the cat may hide.

Could you find him a home at least temporarily? You can try to both boost his immune system, decrease stress, and keep an eye on the lump.

EDIT: OK I saw later the kitty is 1,5 years old. That's quite young. If I were you I would take him to the vet for a physical exam. What you felt might also be (healing) ringworm or something else.
He is with me at home since he was 2 weeks old. I found him on street and bottle feed him. I dont think its ringworm. There is no scabbing or anything. The lump is underneath the skin like lipoma :( yes he is young and this scarres me more. If he was older cat lipoma is most likely come to mind first.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is with me at home since he was 2 weeks old. I found him on street and bottle feed him. I dont think its ringworm. There is no scabbing or anything. The lump is underneath the skin like lipoma :( yes he is young and this scarres me more. If he was older cat lipoma is most likely come to mind first.
It could be a benign tumour too. A reaction to the rabies shot is possible. If you haven't already read it: The Frustrating Vaccine Related Fibrosarcoma - Injection Site Sarcomas (ISS) in Cats | petMD

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a benign tumour too. A reaction to the rabies shot is possible. If you haven't already read it: The Frustrating Vaccine Related Fibrosarcoma - Injection Site Sarcomas (ISS) in Cats | petMD
My concern is this injection site sarcoma:( unfourtanetly its impossible to diagnose without biopsy and I am waiting for if it getting bigger :( so frustated for 3 days. There is a good vets in Istanbul but I am so far away. Maybe I fly over and stay there for a while

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My concern is this injection site sarcoma:( unfourtanetly its impossible to diagnose without biopsy and I am waiting for if it getting bigger :( so frustated for 3 days. There is a good vets in Istanbul but I am so far away. Maybe I fly over and stay there for a while
This is from the article I've shared earlier:

"Cats will commonly develop a lump at the site of a vaccination, typically caused by inflammation and local immune stimulation. These lumps are typically benign and will resolve spontaneously a few weeks after they are noticed. It is recommended to pursue a biopsy if 1) the lump is still present 3 months from the time of vaccination, 2) the lump is greater than 2 cm in diameter (approximately 1 inch) regardless of the duration of time since vaccination, or 3 the lump increases in size over the course of one month since the time it was discovered. "

Benign = not dangerous. It's possible the lump you feel is not dangerous nor cancerous. Not to say don't take precautions of course - if it is cancer, early diagnosis and treatment save lives. But no reason to panic right now either, it might very well be not cancer or anything dangerous.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is from the article I've shared earlier:

"Cats will commonly develop a lump at the site of a vaccination, typically caused by inflammation and local immune stimulation. These lumps are typically benign and will resolve spontaneously a few weeks after they are noticed. It is recommended to pursue a biopsy if 1) the lump is still present 3 months from the time of vaccination, 2) the lump is greater than 2 cm in diameter (approximately 1 inch) regardless of the duration of time since vaccination, or 3 the lump increases in size over the course of one month since the time it was discovered. "

Benign = not dangerous. It's possible the lump you feel is not dangerous nor cancerous. Not to say don't take precautions of course - if it is cancer, early diagnosis and treatment save lives. But no reason to panic right now either, it might very well be not cancer or anything dangerous.
I read it too, thank you. I hope the article is right and I will have much more time with my lovely cat Mecnun ☺ I love him so much that I can go across countries for him to get a treatment. Thank you so muchhhh again.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read it too, thank you. I hope the article is right and I will have much more time with my lovely cat Mecnun ☺ I love him so much that I can go across countries for him to get a treatment. Thank you so muchhhh again.
please let us know how he is doing?