Lump after vaccination

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
(I'm from Europe, sorry for my bad English)
My cat was vaccinated for rabies 6 weeks ago. I noticed 2 weeks ago that she has bald spot and ~1cm lump. Lump is movable and now the hair has started to grow back, but the lump hasn't got smaller or bigger. She got vaccinated between shoulders ( I didn't know that it may be dangerous spot). I went to vet a week ago and she told me to wait for a month, but if it grows bigger, then I should go back. And she said that loosing hair is not a symptom for sarcoma, is it true?
I'm so scared and nervous. Has anyone else had this lump longer than 6 weeks?

Thank you for answering.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat got a lump after his vaccination, although no hair loss. It lasted over a month, but I can't remember exactly, and it did shrink as time went on. It didn't bother him and he didn't mess with it, but he got it in his thigh. I'm a bit peeved that your vet gave the shot at the shoulder blades....not too smart on her part. Maybe that's why the lump is lasting longer than it should...I honestly don't know. Maybe go to or call a different vet and explain what's going on.
The fact that it's moveable is a good sign, and also it would be rare for a sarcoma to develop so quickly after the vaccination. They say it could develop as quickly as 2 months post vaccine (nowhere can I find that they form sooner) but you noticed it in half that time, so that's also good news. "Usually" they develop much later then 2 months.
I hope your kitty is OK...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hair loss can occur, but almost always after the tumor (and this probably is NOT one) has grown fairly large, and is near to abscessing. Hek did have one post-vaccination, but it subsided...I want to say within 6-8 weeks, and never grew past its initial size. This was over 10 years ago, so my memory is imperfect.

And speaking of imperfect, your English is not. It is excellent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your answers. It calms me down a little bit. I'll let you know about my cat.
And Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , thank you for your kind words!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if your cat is microchiped but you can feel my boy's on his shoulder. I thought it was from the vaccanation because he got his in the back of the neck very near where his microchip is. When I took him back for his second shot I asked the vet what it could be, his was about the size of a pea. The moment she put the reader over the lump it beeped. So it might be worth asking if it could be that. My boy is 2 now and I still can feel his chip on his shoulder :lol: sorry for the awful pun.

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read so much about it and I have one stupid question.
Does sarcoma occurs from 4 months - years after vaccination or lump that is just local response to vaccination, can later form to cancer?

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi :)
We go to the vet on Friday. I hope we can get some good news!
I was thinking maybe her lump isn't been there for 2 months. I think she may have developed it maybe 3 weeks after vaccination, because I'm pretty sure that I would have felt it and seen the bald spot before that.
I hope she's okay!!!

I also found some good articles and posts about it (if anyone has same problem and is worried):
vaccine lump persists - Answered by Dr. Lee - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca
(This cat had lump removed and it wasn't cancerous:
Biopsy Results - Vaccine Lump - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca )
VetFolio
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102903&id=4951408

"These sarcomas are usually seen as single, firm lumps under the skin commonly over the flank or shoulder blade. They usually do not develop sooner than three months after a vaccination. Any lumps that develop in the first 3 months after vaccination are likely part of a transient local response to the vaccine, and these usually resolve by three months."

"From time to time, some cats can develop a bald spot where they have had a vaccination. The hair grows back over time. Keep an eye on the area and check for a lump under the skin. If it grows in size or is still there after 4-8 weeks, seek veterinary attention."

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Update. I went a month ago to see the vet and she did FNA. They didn't see any cancer cells and said to wait a month. So, month later it was still there, but a little bit smaller. Yesterday, they removed the lump and next week we get answers. I really hope it's not cancer!
She was restless after surgery. Now, she seems more calm and I hope she will finally sleep! I didn't get also much sleep...

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not cancer!!!

Diagnosis:
Panniculitis chronic-active severe pyogranulomatous with necrosis

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.86)]Critical report:
A panniculitis is an inflammation of the subcutaneous fat.
In the special stainings, no fungal
structures or acid fast bacteria were present.
The margins of the tissue were clean.

Tumor development from such lesions are described in the cat.
The location should be under further control.

I'm so releaved! These 3 months were hell. I really hope that she doesn't get sarcoma in the future!
[/COLOR]

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not cancer!!!

Diagnosis:
Panniculitis chronic-active severe pyogranulomatous with necrosis

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.86)]Critical report:
A panniculitis is an inflammation of the subcutaneous fat.
In the special stainings, no fungal
structures or acid fast bacteria were present.
The margins of the tissue were clean.

Tumor development from such lesions are described in the cat.
The location should be under further control.

I'm so releaved! These 3 months were hell. I really hope that she doesn't get sarcoma in the future!
[/COLOR]
That's excellent news, I'm so happy for you and your girl. :woohoo: