Lump/Abscess

SayeC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning,

so my baby girl has had a lump on her head, i originally believed it was just swollen or a bee sting. After a phone consultation with the vet, they say Its an abscess. I will attach

Im not very convinced that its an abscess, despite the pictures. All advice is welcome.

i have woken up this morning, and there is a visable wound. I am giving her anti-inflammatory and Anti-biotics as well as a salt water bathe.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Abscess or not, that looks like it could be infected. Did you get the antibiotics from your vet? I wouldn't be giving your cat anything that is labeled for dogs - the pic above looks like you are. The salt water bath is going to be painful, and is not really appropriate. Please take your kitty to the vet.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Abscess or not, that looks like it could be infected. Did you get the antibiotics from your vet? I wouldn't be giving your cat anything that is labeled for dogs - the pic above looks like you are. The salt water bath is going to be painful, and is not really appropriate. Please take your kitty to the vet.
I totally agree

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning,

so my baby girl has had a lump on her head, i originally believed it was just swollen or a bee sting. After a phone consultation with the vet, they say Its an abscess. I will attach

Im not very convinced that its an abscess, despite the pictures. All advice is welcome.

i have woken up this morning, and there is a visable wound. I am giving her anti-inflammatory and Anti-biotics as well as a salt water bathe.
A vet is needed
And antibiotics prescribed by vet for cats
And it looks swollen
Im thinking definitely infected

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to whole heartily agree here that the little I see - it does look infected and needs to be seen by a vet.

The meds, if not prescribed by the vet, could do a lot more harm than good.

Salt water cleaning will be painful. If you've made a proper home made saline solution - not so bad - but it has to be made right.

That all being said....

I don't know if the cat is indoor or outdoor or both. (I assume by the picture - indoor and outdoor)

If this in an outdoor kitty in anyway and this possibly showed up out of the blue - it's a problem. Abbesses can be caused by a bite from another animal. With a bite it's not just it being infected, it's the bacteria from a bite that is equally problematic and requires care.

Watch for a fever and get the kitty to the Vet as soon as possible.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit to add - If that's Noroclav - is it the one for cats AND dogs 250 mg? (Amoxicillin based) I can't see the label to tell.

Edit to add: know those meds - pretty sure vet prescribed. Did they do that over the phone for you, or old meds? I only ask as it was a vet consult on the phone.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SayeC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit to add - If that's Noroclav - is it the one for cats AND dogs 250 mg? (Amoxicillin based) I can't see the label to tell.

Edit to add: know those meds - pretty sure vet prescribed. Did they do that over the phone for you, or old meds? I only ask as it was a vet consult on the phone.
Yes it has been prescribed by the vet via phone consultation. Can only get animal meds from the vets .

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it has been prescribed by the vet via phone consultation. Can only get animal meds from the vets .

I thought so. We wanted to be sure as many people mix and match meds, give expired meds, give cats aspirin - and don't know they shouldn't. I had a feeling you were good but wanted to double check as I couldn't see the whole box. XOXO

So those are good meds for infection (Noroclav) and the inflammation / pain ( Meloxidyl). Do watch for a fever though as an injury/abbess (or whatever that is) can turn very fast.

Now that's out of the way :-) Here is to the more important question:

How are you both doing today?

SayeC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you. Honestly, struggling to get her to take her antibiotic pills. Easy pill does not work on her, nor does pill crushed in food. Ive tried cat yogurt, tried to pull in her mouth myself !!!NO!!!!. Ive tried in fish, ive even tried in easy pill putty Wrapped in crushed up dreamies..... SHES JUST TO SMART!

Im not even going to attempt the crushed pill in water and a syringe, as i Quite like my face skin with out claws in them.. ADVICE?.

SayeC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vets only do, pills for antibiotics. I have 2 vets, the PDSA which is free. Also the private vet for more urgent issues and when PDSA are too busy.

The private vets offer an antibiotic injection, however money is tight so i dont know what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have mixed meds with baby food meats (e.g. Gerber, Beechnut - no onions/garlic) and have had success that way. I have also used canned tuna or chicken in water to mix with the meds, and then give Feeby a bite or the chicken or tuna as a treat afterward.

SayeC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have mixed meds with baby food meats (e.g. Gerber, Beechnut - no onions/garlic) and have had success that way. I have also used canned tuna or chicken in water to mix with the meds, and then give Feeby a bite or the chicken or tuna as a treat afterward.
Thanks ive literally tried all of those things, with tuna. And baby food in the past. My cat will not have it

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had good luck mixing my Apollo's pill in a bit of room temperature butter. He ate the butter so quickly he did not even notice the pill.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S SayeC I just went through getting pills into a cat that has been through too much. I found a way! It has worked every time! I tore up a quarter piece of cooked bacon into tiny bits and rubbed it on the pill. Then I put a tiny pile of bacon pieces with the pill in the middle. The bacon was slightly crunchy. She ate everything and would have eaten more. Lol She hasn’t caught on yet. I hope this might work for you too.