Lulu stepped on a hot burner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That CVS burn gel is just the generic stuff. It's okay but not the same thing as Cool Jell.

Cool Jell has ingredients that help cool the burned skin quickly. If you look into it, there's some pretty cool stuff going on, underneath.
The stuff from CVS has aloe vera and some other ingredients that will help a burn but it's still not the same thing.

The best time to apply burn gel is soon after the accident. By this time, you can use whatever cat-safe ointment you think is best.
You're just trying to soothe the injury and help it heal better.

After a phone exchange like that, my next question would be, "Do you charge a fee to transfer my cat's records to another vet?"

All they needed to say was, "We don't think this kind of injury requires a visit to the clinic. You can give your cat first aid at home then just keep an eye on her and call us back if there are complications."

It really is THAT EASY! Anybody who isn't willing to expend such a small amount of energy to say something so simple isn't worthy of my time and money.

Personally, I wouldn't even give them the courtesy of calling them back but, if I had reason to phone them again, I would tell them.

"If you won't take one minute to answer my question, I won't be coming back."
The first girl was hanging up with me. Sorry. Can’t help you. And I said, “I am just asking for some guidance and I’m trying to avoid putting an extremely anxious cat into the car if I can. This isn’t the first time I’ve felt that you don’t care about my pets”. I so agree that it would’ve been so easy to just help me. Two seconds. The girl‘s voice is so fake chipper and happy too. As she tells you to screw off.
Thank you for your reply and the information.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's typical behavior from people who don't know how to do their jobs.

They'll equivocate and use vague, duplicitous language, trying to hide the fact that they are inept. Most of them aren't even aware that they are doing it.

I have about 0.68 seconds worth of patience for people like that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some vets just hire a receptionist to answer phones, book appointments, and general office stuff. The person may not have any knowledge of veterinary medicine. If you don't like that vet office, find a new one.

She slept all night, played with Finn early this morning, she's eating, she purrs when I pet her. But, she holds up the foot. I suppose it's like a burn we would get and it's not going to stop hurting overnight. She's still jumping, stretching claws on the post and doing everything she normally does. Should I still wait and see?

Personally, I'd get the cat to a vet sooner than later. Even superficial burns are painful.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some vets just hire a receptionist to answer phones, book appointments, and general office stuff. The person may not have any knowledge of veterinary medicine. If you don't like that vet office, find a new one.

Personally, I'd get the cat to a vet sooner than later. Even superficial burns are painful.
l didn’t expect medical advice from the receptionist. I did expect my vet to take a moment to speak to me. I wasn’t asking for more than a minute of their time. I will be finding a new one.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree but competence at one's job is different from having veterinary knowledge.

If you call up and say, "My cat got hurt and I want to know whether I need to bring her to the vet," a competent receptionist should be able to direct your call to the right person.

Equivocation (talking in a way that avoids taking a stand on one side of a question versus the other) and duplicitous answers (answering in a way that sounds like you mean one thing but actually means another) are poor and disrespectful ways of communicating. A person whose job it is to communicate with the public, on behalf of their employer, should not be talking to customers like that, regardless of whether the business is a vet's office or an auto parts store.

l didn’t expect medical advice from the receptionist. I did expect my vet to take a moment to speak to me. I wasn’t asking for more than a minute of their time. I will be finding a new one.
Or, at least have the vet (or their designated responsible person) say, "The office is busy. We can call you back when we have more time."

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree but competence at one's job is different from having veterinary knowledge.

If you call up and say, "My cat got hurt and I want to know whether I need to bring her to the vet," a competent receptionist should be able to direct your call to the right person.

Equivocation (talking in a way that avoids taking a stand on one side of a question versus the other) and duplicitous answers (answering in a way that sounds like you mean one thing but actually means another) are poor and disrespectful ways of communicating. A person whose job it is to communicate with the public, on behalf of their employer, should not be talking to customers like that, regardless of whether the business is a vet's office or an auto parts store.

Or, at least have the vet (or their designated responsible person) say, "The office is busy. We can call you back when we have more time."
I would never expect any Dr to come right to the phone. I def was expecting a call back. Oh well. It’s done. I should’ve listened to the reviews. But the shelter recommended them.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 she’s on pain meds. I have some gabapentin here that she took a few weeks ago for her vet visit. They said she could use it for pain.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's doing okay.

At this point, I'm sure that home care is the best thing for her.
Just use common sense like you would do for a child who suffered the same mishap.
Keep the injury clean, use some ointment, etc. if you think it necessary and call a doctor if something unexpected happens.

Beside that, you can do some homework and ask around for opinions to find another vet.

All's well that ends well. Right? :)