Lulu stepped on a hot burner

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh! The burner was off for about five minutes. She stepped on it and flew off it. She limped. Licked it. Growled at Finn and has been trying to lay down alone for about 20 minutes. She’s settled now and sleeping. It looks a bit raw but it’s not cut. I tried to put a cool cloth on it but she was having none of it.
She’s licking it again.
I called her vet. They wouldn’t let me speak to a vet. Wouldn’t fit me in and said go to emergency vet.
Before she jumped up onto her bed she wasn’t limping anymore. Can I wait? I have some gabapentin(?) that I’m trying to get her to eat. The vet office said that was fine.

What are your thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If the vet won't bother to talk to you or squeeze you in for an appt., would they at least accept pics for a vet to look at? It's fine to give her Gabapentin to take the edge off it hurts, but what about some sort of treatment? Maybe if they look at the pics, they would be willing to suggest something you could treat it with - or, at least tell you in their opinion that it should be looked at?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. If the vet won't bother to talk to you or squeeze you in for an appt., would they at least accept pics for a vet to look at? It's fine to give her Gabapentin to take the edge off it hurts, but what about some sort of treatment? Maybe if they look at the pics, they would be willing to suggest something you could treat it with - or, at least tell you in their opinion that it should be looked at?
I’m so disappointed in the vet office. It’s not the first time I’ve felt like they truly don’t care. I’m going to leave after this. My favorite vet left a while ago.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cold compresses might help a bit, if she will let you apply them to her paw. You might even consider using the chamomile tea bag treatment. Grocery store tea bags, they are generally all German (you don't want English or any additives/flavorings); brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and apply it to the burn with a soft cloth, a few times a day, The tea is both soothing and healing, and can serve as an anti-bacterial agent as well. It is safe for her to lick off her paw too.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a product that you can get at the drug store called "Cool Jell."

Don't confuse this with another product called "Water Jell."
Both products, Water Jell and Cool Jell, are made by the same company and they are almost the same thing except that Water Jell has Lidocaine in it while Cool Jell doesn't. You don't want the version with Licocaine. You want the version without. Cool Jell.

Cool Jell is probably the best thing you can get to treat minor burns, hands down.

I have used Cool Jell on dogs, before.
We often have campfires at our family picnics, during the summer. One time, a log in the fire pit popped and shot a hot ember onto the ground. The dog walked by, stepped on the hot ember and got a small burn on his paw. It wasn't bad enough to go to the vet but we needed to do something to help the dog.

A dab of Cool Jell did the trick. He was all better in just a day or two.

If you see any blisters or signs of infection, it's a definite need to call the vet.
If there aren't any problems, I think it's okay to put some cat-safe ointment on it and keep an eye on her until she gets better in a few days.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a product that you can get at the drug store called "Cool Jell."

Don't confuse this with another product called "Water Jell."
Both products, Water Jell and Cool Jell, are made by the same company and they are almost the same thing except that Water Jell has Lidocaine in it while Cool Jell doesn't. You don't want the version with Licocaine. You want the version without. Cool Jell.

Cool Jell is probably the best thing you can get to treat minor burns, hands down.

I have used Cool Jell on dogs, before.
We often have campfires at our family picnics, during the summer. One time, a log in the fire pit popped and shot a hot ember onto the ground. The dog walked by, stepped on the hot ember and got a small burn on his paw. It wasn't bad enough to go to the vet but we needed to do something to help the dog.

A dab of Cool Jell did the trick. He was all better in just a day or two.

If you see any blisters or signs of infection, it's a definite need to call the vet.
If there aren't any problems, I think it's okay to put some cat-safe ointment on it and keep an eye on her until she gets better in a few days.
My store does not have that listed. How about this?

Attachments

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, so sorry this happen to your baby. I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner with her suggestion of using cold compresses and chamomile tea. Keep a close eye on your kitty. If she looks like she is in a lot of pain or if the site of the burn looks worse than it does now, then get her to the vet. I have seen cats come away from situations like this with minimal issues. Cats are amazingly resilient and can bounce back from accidents like this. They are survivors.

Stay watchful for now as you proceed with cold compress and antibacterial soaks. Give us an update. I hope she recovers from this burn quickly, if not take her to the vet immediately. You may have to find a new one, I wouldn't stick with that vet. I had one like that and they overlooked a glaring health sign that turned into cancer with my dogs years ago. I never forgave myself for not questioning this vet. A terrible life lesson learned.🙁

Last edited:

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, so sorry this happen to your baby. I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner with her suggestion of using old compresses and chamomile tea. Keep a close eye on your kitty. If she looks like she is in a lot of pain or if the site of the burn looks worse than it does now, then get her to the vet. I have seen cats come away from situations like this with minimal issues. Cats are amazingly resilient and can bounce back from accidents like this. They are survivors.

Stay watchful for now as you proceed with cold compress and antibacterial soaks. Give us an update. I hope she recovers from this burn quickly, if not take her to the vet immediately. You may have to find a new one, I wouldn't stick with that vet. I had one like that and they overlooked a glaring health sign that turned into cancer with my dogs years ago. I never forgave myself for not questioning this vet. A terrible life lesson learned.🙁
Thank you.
I‘ve tried cold compresses. She won’t let me. She’s a bit of a wild one. But she appears to be fine. Not limping. Not licking.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been there, done that unfortunately. Did you run cold water over the paw immediately after your cat got off the stove? I did for a good 10 minutes and then rushed my cat to the ER. Fortunately the burn was a very superficial one but painful. The vet prescribed a burn ointment. I followed up with the regular vet a week later and the burn was mostly healed by then but still painful.

I would not give gabapetin or apply any OTC pet burn ointment on the paw unless directed to a by a vet. Maybe try an ice cube in a baggie instead of a cool compress? Is there any way you can get your cat to the ER today or tomorrow to the paw looked at?

I’m so disappointed in the vet office. It’s not the first time I’ve felt like they truly don’t care. I’m going to leave after this. My favorite vet left a while ago.
Yes, I would leave that vet office since they weren't concerned at all. You don't need to tell them why. Just ask for copies of your cat's records and take them to the new vet you choose.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been there, done that unfortunately. Did you run cold water over the paw immediately after your cat got off the stove? I did for a good 10 minutes and then rushed my cat to the ER. Fortunately the burn was a very superficial one but painful. The vet prescribed a burn ointment. I followed up with the regular vet a week later and the burn was mostly healed by then but still painful.

I would not give gabapetin or apply any OTC pet burn ointment on the paw unless directed to a by a vet. Maybe try an ice cube in a baggie instead of a cool compress? Is there any way you can get your cat to the ER today or tomorrow to the paw looked at?

Yes, I would leave that vet office since they weren't concerned at all. You don't need to tell them why. Just ask for copies of your cat's records and take them to the new vet you choose.
I did try those things but she would not let me. The vet office did say the gabapentin was ok. She seems fine so I’m going to keep checking it and hope I don’t have to take her. She’s such an anxious cat and I don’t want to add more stress.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did try those things but she would not let me. The vet office did say the gabapentin was ok. She seems fine so I’m going to keep checking it and hope I don’t have to take her. She’s such an anxious cat and I don’t want to add more stress.
My cat is the same way, fighting every little thing that needs to be done to her even if it is not painful. Anxious cats are really hard to take care of. What I normally do to trim my cat's claws might help you. I sit Indian style in an arm chair and hold Salem like a baby with her butt resting right in between my legs. It is like a kitty straight jacket and lets you get at their paws while causing as little stress as possible. This hold might let you use the tea bags on her paw.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She slept all night, played with Finn early this morning, she's eating, she purrs when I pet her. But, she holds up the foot. I suppose it's like a burn we would get and it's not going to stop hurting overnight. She's still jumping, stretching claws on the post and doing everything she normally does. Should I still wait and see?

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trust me on this...It is time to find a new vet...TODAY.
I will after we get through this. I sent pictures today. No one called. So I called and she said no one is here to look at them. Lulu’s vet will be in tomorrow. We are very busy and all booked today. I could feel the slow boil start. I didn’t choose her current vet. They gave her to me I guess. She’s the one that had just finished examining Finn when we first adopted him, he had been just neutered four days before at the shelter. She said, “so when are you thinking about neutering Finn”? I said, “he is neutered”. This was on the phone because you can’t go in the office. It made me think she didn’t even examine him.

So anyway, I snapped a little at the girl and she said someone would call me. It wasn’t a vet. This one said the vet doesn’t give medical advice on the phone. If it oozes she has to come in. Thats what she said. Why do they have the option to email pictures then?

I want a caring place, not one that I truly feel is a business. All business.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My store does not have that listed. How about this?
That CVS burn gel is just the generic stuff. It's okay but not the same thing as Cool Jell.

Cool Jell has ingredients that help cool the burned skin quickly. If you look into it, there's some pretty cool stuff going on, underneath.
The stuff from CVS has aloe vera and some other ingredients that will help a burn but it's still not the same thing.

The best time to apply burn gel is soon after the accident. By this time, you can use whatever cat-safe ointment you think is best.
You're just trying to soothe the injury and help it heal better.

... No one called. So I called and she said no one is here to look at them. ...
... I want a caring place, not one that I truly feel is a business. All business.
After a phone exchange like that, my next question would be, "Do you charge a fee to transfer my cat's records to another vet?"

All they needed to say was, "We don't think this kind of injury requires a visit to the clinic. You can give your cat first aid at home then just keep an eye on her and call us back if there are complications."

It really is THAT EASY! Anybody who isn't willing to expend such a small amount of energy to say something so simple isn't worthy of my time and money.

Personally, I wouldn't even give them the courtesy of calling them back but, if I had reason to phone them again, I would tell them.

"If you won't take one minute to answer my question, I won't be coming back."