Lui The Shedder

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat, Lui, sheds like there is no tomorrow! Before school he sits on my lap and there is white fur everywhere! ANnoying! Should we be using though cat brushes or furminators on them? At our house we have the gloves with that we brush the cats with, Lui oddly enough seems to like it lol. But Lilly, who's dead and resting in peace, we used to use a bristled brush on her, which is best?
1667485287815.png

That is what they look like!

Should I acknowledge this or leave it be? Also winters arrives so will his coat stop shedding for a while, since it's getting colder?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a slicker brush on Belle. It does a real good job removing shedding fur. Use whatever works best for you and your cat.

Cats are constantly shedding fur. They shed most when their coat changes from winter to summer and summer to winter. They should be brushed everyday for healthy skin & coat and to reduce allergens.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he longhair or shorthair? I find a comb works better than a brush for longhair cats and for shorthair cats with dense fur. You'll want a comb with round metal teeth spaced fairly far apart. You can get combs that have both wide and narrow spaced teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he longhair or shorthair? I find a comb works better than a brush for longhair cats and for shorthair cats with dense fur. You'll want a comb with round metal teeth spaced fairly far apart. You can get combs that have both wide and narrow spaced teeth.
I'm assuming short hair?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use the same glove brushes and find they work really well on all 3 of my cats who have different hair types but short hair. Magnus is really fuzzy, Calcifer has a sleeker hair and Nobel hair is thick as he's part Maine coon but didn't get the long hair.

I found the best way was to use one hand with a brush and keep the other clear to remove hair.

I also use a fine brush like the furminator but it doesn't work as well. But it also doesn't make the hair fly around like the gloves do.

Brushing every day if your cat doesn't mind is best to control shedding.

There will be 2 shedding seasons per year where it is worse: Spring and Autumn. In spring they will loose their winter coat and in Autumn they will grow one. They will loose hair all year round though; how much depends on your individual cat.