Lucy & Padma: yet another cat introduction advice thread...

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I know there have been so many threads like this, so apologies for adding one more.... I'm in need of advice/reassurance(??) about a cat introduction in progress. I think it may be going better than I feel it is, but I may be freaking out due to my lack of tolerance for watching conflict in others (long story of family issues, etc.!).

I have had an elderly rescue cat, Lucy, for four years. She is estimated to be about 19 now. On May 18 I took in another rescue kitty, Padma (either 1 year old or 3 years old, depending on whether I believe the foster mom or the shelter paperwork...). I think part of my anguish is that I feel I have betrayed Lucy by adding stress for her. Padma had been rescued outside after miscarrying kittens, and already had one "failed adoption" with a person who gave her up in less than a week because she "wasn't adjusting fast enough". She is a very sweet kitty, not aggressive with Lucy, but wanting to be friends. Lucy just wants to be left the &&%)&! alone.

I have a comparatively large apartment, so there is space for both cats to be separated. I've been following a sort of Jackson Galaxy-esque introduction plan. We had the baby gates down for a few days and are at the "eat play love" stage, but after some conflict last weekend we are back to Padma being out when I can supervise, and the cats being separated at night (with Lucy having peace and quiet in the living room, dining room, and kitchen to eat as she pleases, and Padma in the back part of the apartment where she can sleep with me). They can both nap in the living room during the day without much conflict, but Padma gets curious when Lucy gets up and ambles into the kitchen, and runs to follow her. (Lucy eats a little bit at a time, so her "mealtime" is spread out over the whole day...) They will both eat in the kitchen together, and I've been feeding them treats together (Churu). But I worry about conflict if I am not there to intervene.

On Saturday night, they had a fight (Padma was too close to Lucy, not doing anything specific, but too close to her space), and, though nobody was bitten or scratched, Lucy behaved really strangely afterwards -- sort of air-boxing even after I had separated them. At first it seemed as if she had hurt her paw, but she was walking on it fine afterwards and went back to the kitchen to snack. But I was terrified. I took Lucy to the vet on Monday, and he has prescribed Tramadol because he thinks she is in a lot of pain from arthritis. I'm hoping that will help her feel better and also help their relationship.

This morning when I let Padma out, Lucy was chasing her a little and I actually called the foster mom and some friends who are thinking about adopting cats to explore other options for Padma. But I think some of my reaction may be my lack of tolerance for conflict. I have patience with scared kitties (it took Lucy a month to let me touch her after I adopted her), but I am finding that watching others in conflict is just agonizing, and I don't want my own issues to make me back off from an introduction that will eventually work. (We are going for tolerance to the degree that I can safely leave them together, not friendship!) I've felt myself getting really panicky and shaky and I've completely lost my appetite.

I should add a few other things -- I have Feliway diffusers plugged in, and I am going to be more deliberate about playing very actively with Padma to tire her out. She is accepting that Lucy won't be a playmate, but she does need one, even if it's a human.

When I was talking with our vet and asking for advice about the introduction, he said "no good deed goes unpunished", but I feel that I have done a "good deed" by taking in Padma, and Lucy is the one being punished. Which means that my "good deed" was... an awful thing.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you all!

(tagging cat nap cat nap and hybriseris hybriseris since we had talked a little about Padma & Lucy in an earlier thread!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I think some of my reaction may be my lack of tolerance for conflict.
I of course don't know what others may think or advise, and no, you didn't do an awful thing, but my opinion is that your 19 year old elderly lady needs her space to herself. It would appear that even if she doesn't realize it, she's more fragile than expected.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can afford to add a third cat to your house (or maybe even a cat-friendly dog), it might be a good idea to try it out. If you try fostering or adopting another cat, make sure it's close in age to Padma and possibly the opposite gender.

My dad's since deceased senior female cat was very distressed at the arrival of my kitten Boaz. His playful young energy was intimidating for her and she wanted her peace and quiet. She calmed down quite a bit after my Dad and my brother brought their kittens home so that Boaz could have a feline his own age to play with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I of course don't know what others may think or advise, and no, you didn't do an awful thing, but my opinion is that your 19 year old elderly lady needs her space to herself. It would appear that even if she doesn't realize it, she's more fragile than expected.
Thank you, and I agree 1000%! When they are in the same room, a lot of the time Padma just naps near me on the sofa and Lucy naps in her favorite box. With that, and keeping them separate at night (at least for now), do you see a hope for things working out? (not that I am asking you to be a fortune-teller...)

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can afford to add a third cat to your house (or maybe even a cat-friendly dog), it might be a good idea to try it out. If you try fostering or adopting another cat, make sure it's close in age to Padma and possibly the opposite gender.

My dad's since deceased senior female cat was very distressed at the arrival of my kitten Boaz. His playful young energy was intimidating for her and she wanted her peace and quiet. She calmed down quite a bit after my Dad and my brother brought their kittens home so that Boaz could have a feline his own age to play with.
Thank you! I am glad that helped your dad's senior kitty -- and that it helped Boaz. I could afford another cat, but have to check if my building allows more than two cat per apartment. Fostering might be a good idea to see if it helps.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the Tramadol helps her a lot, things might :) , but keep an eye on her - I'm a little surprised your vet is giving this to such an old cat.
That's interesting about the Tramadol and age -- is it contraindicated beyond a certain age? I'm definitely keeping an eagle eye. The vet suggested also trying a steroid to reduce inflammation depending on how she responds to the Tramadol. She's been on it since Monday and seems more comfortable and hungrier.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the good advice yesterday, everyone. I really appreciate it. I've been reevaluating and realizing that I was probably making the situation worse than it needed to be, and catastrophizing far too much. I have a big enough apartment that we can have a baseline situation where both kitties are loved and happy and they only interact with supervision. Hopefully we will gradually get beyond that, but even if we don't, it is a safe and tolerable situation.

Our main issue is that Padma is really curious about Lucy and keeps following her into the kitchen toward the food bowls. Lucy then gets understandably irritated, given her age, because she wants to snack in peace. I was falling into a panic when I saw that (even as I was facilitating that behavior by spending time in the living room near Lucy, and Padma of course wanted to be near me, so she noticed whenever Lucy walked into the kitchen, and jumped down from the sofa to follow). I'm realizing that it's OK to separate them at that point and shift Padma back to her "half-apartment" (hallway + bathroom + spare bedroom + bedroom, with cat tree, food, litter boxes, and tons of toys). I use the spare bedroom as a study, and will spend a lot of time in there too, reading and playing with Padma.

I'm a university teacher and will be going back to teaching in person in late August, and I've been terrified about what will happen when I am back at work full time (though I can work from home some days). But even if Padma is in her "half-apartment" when I am at work, she can come out once I get home, and I'll be with her at night. And then Lucy will have free run of living room + dining room + kitchen, with no stress while she naps and eats. Of course, this isn't ideal, it would be best for both cats to be fully comfortable together and have free run of the whole apartment. But this current situation IS OK, and everyone is loved and safe.

Sorry for the long rant, but I've been agonizing about this and wanted to circle back with something other than panic to add to the thread. Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts and advice.

Postscript -- I will also need to travel at some point to visit family for a few days (I have two nieces born at the start of the pandemic who I still haven't met!!!), but that is a crisis for another day.
L&P.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a big enough apartment that we can have a baseline situation where both kitties are loved and happy and they only interact with supervision. Hopefully we will gradually get beyond that, but even if we don't, it is a safe and tolerable situation.
You're fantastic, and thank you for a wonderful update 💕.

You're absolutely right, they're with you and fortunate cats too , not least because you found your balance in this--not everyone does :heartshape:

We can help with planning for the trip when that time comes, no worries.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're fantastic, and thank you for a wonderful update 💕.

You're absolutely right, they're with you and fortunate cats too , not least because you found your balance in this--not everyone does :heartshape:

We can help with planning for the trip when that time comes, no worries.
Thank you for the kind words!!