Lucy needs a new friend, advice?

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Lucy girl just lost her playmate Gus to FIP a week ago. Lucy is 7.5 months old, VERY playful, loving, curious and super smart. She did go for a wellness check after Gus passed away from FIP. The vet explained that although Lucy could get the precursor feline virus that causes most cats to get a cold, unfortunatley some random mutation and bad luck for cats like Gus, causes a small percent to die. The vet explained that Lucy was very healthy and there was no cause for concern for Lucy.

However, I do know that she could carry the precursor virus, and I wouldn't want to test whether another kitten would get only a little sick or a lot sick :(

I emailed my vet to ask whether we have to wait a certain period or if we can maybe do a blood test or something.

Does anyone have any experience with this specific thing? Thanks!

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a Katrina kitten in 2005 with the FIP precursor. He never showed symptoms and lived until the summer of 2020. In August of 2006 we brought a 2nd cat into our home. He has never displayed any illness. He is no almost 16. While I do not know your exact situation, we found it could be done safely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a Katrina kitten in 2005 with the FIP precursor. He never showed symptoms and lived until the summer of 2020. In August of 2006 we brought a 2nd cat into our home. He has never displayed any illness. He is no almost 16. While I do not know your exact situation, we found it could be done safely.
Thanks for your response. It's heartening to know that it can be done safely in some instances.