Luciano Throwing Up Cardboard (i Think); Dietary Issue?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
For about a week, Luciano hasn't been eating his wet food, none of the four flavors he used to enjoy. He was still eating his dry food, still drinking, still normal output in the litter box & I figured it was a phase. I was a bit concerned he wasn't getting his prozac, which is usually in his wet food, but I thought it was a temporary thing.

In that same time, I've come home about four times & found some vomit, always on the floor. It seemed to be food only. Tonight he threw up in front of me & it was more copious and there was something solid in it. At first I thought it was a shredded piece of chicken, but he has no access to my garbage can and I haven't eaten any chicken at home in weeks. Then I touched it and it felt more fibrous & I wondered if it was celery or a broccoli stem, but I haven't had that at home either. Then I realized it was probably a piece of his beloved cardboard box he uses as a scratching post. The box has major holes in it now, but he still seemed to love using it. I hadn't noticed that he was eating the cardboard since I was always sweeping it up from the floor. I've no idea how much he may have eaten or why he seems to have started this behavior.

I got rid of the shredded cardboard box, but there's plenty of other cardboard around, boxes he likes to jump in and out of, recyclables etc. Does eating cardboard signify something missing from my cat's diet? After this big vomit, he did drink from the faucet & ate some dry food and so far, so good. I'm planning on contacting the vet tomorrow, but would like some advice from the cat whisperers here. I'd rather not bring him in for a battery of tests. Is there something over-the-counter to give a cat that's throwing up?

If this post belongs in another area (nutrition, behavior?), moderators please feel free to move it. Thanks.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think i would give a cat anything to prevent throwing up, not without a vets ok. If they ate something they need to get rid of, such as cardboard, they need to throw up. In my opinion.

I have 1 cat that loves to rip into cardboard boxes. he just enjoys it i think. I do worry that he may ingest some, so i try not to let him do it much. He seems to spit all the pieces out as he rips them apart, but i worry :) I just keep an eye on him, and try to keep the damaged boxes thrown away. and replace scratching post when they get too worn.

Vet visit never hurts to be sure. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks duckpond duckpond , I appreciate your feedback. I'm happy to report things seem back to normal this morning. Although he didn't eat any wet food overnight, he also didn't throw up again. When I cleaned out his bowl and put new wet food down this morning, he ate more than half right away. I think he has been hungry for it, and now that he threw up that big piece, he's able to eat it. He also ate dry food and drank, and his litter box shows all has been normal throughout on that end.
I'm sorry for not getting rid of that box earlier, live and learn I guess. I will mention the incident to the vet; I need to refill his prozac prescription anyway.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just make a note to ask the vet about pica and if there is any treatment for it. If I remember correctly Luciano ate some string a while back and now cardboard. I think pica may be related to separation anxiety. However, I think they usually prescribe Prozac for both and he's already on that. Just mention it when you're at the vet's office. They may want to adjust the dosage. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes he's eaten string, 3' of laundry bag cord (caused hospitalization & $2K vet bill), cardboard, started on fringe of blanket before I put it away & if I let him, my hair. Thanks.