Low tracking litter for cats that don’t like pellets?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Our girls currently use Cat’s Pride Max Power Clumping litter, which works in all respects except for tracking. We have them separated currently so there’s a litterbox for each of them in our bedroom and office, respectively. And the litter is everywhere, especially in the bedroom lol. I already have litter mats for them as well.

Is there any good low tracking litter? We’ve tried pine before a long time ago, and one of them wouldn’t use the litterbox at all, and the other started peeing in the tub. So I’d like to try and keep with standard clumping litter for recommendations.

Thank you all ❤

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
World's Best worked pretty well. The only reason I'm not using it is that one of my cats seems sensitive to anything but crystal litter. Otherwise I'd go back to using it.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat develop asthma and I switched to the non-clumping crystal litter. I was leery of the non-clumping, but it actually lasts a longer than I thought. I scoop out the poop obviously. I just dump the whole thing and wash out the litter box when I think it needs it. I really need to figure out if it’s a lot more expensive than the regular. I pay just paid $26 for a bag at PetSmart. I don’t really have a choice because of my cat with asthma.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what might be available where you are, but I use this Australian brand. It tracks a bit, but nowhere near as much as clumping clay did. My cats refused to use pine pellets too, I think they hurt their feet to walk on. This stuff is very good, 5kg lasts a month and its odour control is the most effective I’ve had.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don't believe there's a way around this.

I spent a lot of time going through types of litter before settling on Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief litter, because it's lower in dust content and my cat Willy always had respiratory issues since I rescued him.

I tried like 10 different kinds of litter. Maybe I am wrong on this... But my solution was to buy a couple of dust-buster mini-vacuums, mount them on the wall, including one right near my litter box, and vacuum frequently.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've used World's Best low tracking litter. It's low tracking because the pieces are much larger than normal, so they don't get stuck in their paws as much. It's still flushable but I found it easier to flush one clump at a time. You probably need a scooper with larger holes; it took forever to sift through our regular scooper so we bought this one.

https://www.chewy.com/worlds-best-low-tracking-dust-control/dp/393322
https://www.chewy.com/catit-litter-scoop/dp/49805

You may want to consider something completely different. We also use Okocat Super Soft clumping wood litter. The particles are so small and light that it floats off their paws and onto the litter mat as soon as they step out of the box. There's still tracking but it's mostly contained to the area right outside the litter box.

https://www.chewy.com/okocat-super-soft-clumping-wood/dp/117426

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like World's Best best but I usually get Swheat Scoop because it's similar and a bit cheaper. However, I'm not really convinced a litter that doesn't track (besides pellet) exists. Even if your cat doesn't dig or bury much, it is still going to get tracked a little by their paws. I think a good litter mat (or two) and frequent vaccuuming/sweeping are really the only reality. I've accepted it as part of life with cats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got these types of mats and that's helped with tracking. Plus you can pour the litter back into the box. It's worked with many types of litters.
Check this out! https://a.co/d/hQsdDWt

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got these types of mats and that's helped with tracking. Plus you can pour the litter back into the box. It's worked with many types of litters.
Check this out! https://a.co/d/hQsdDWt
I use a similar kind of "honeycomb" mat with an upper flap that lifts up. They definitely help.

I personally don't pour the litter back in, but mine has a flap that completely lifts up (vs. the "envelope" style of mat pictured in the above link). I lift up the upper layer, and vacuum the spilled litter from underneath.

LokiLamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I discovered a biodegradable type a few months ago. It’s made from tofu. Absolutely no dust whatsoever. It kind of looks like risotto. The pellets are hard but super absorbent. It doesn’t cement itself to the bottom of the litter pan either, something that pleases me greatly. There is no tracking around. Just one of the rubber mats since my girl has bean sprouts between her toes. Amazon has a lot of different brands. I just steer clear of the scented ones. And the ones who strangely add essential oils of various types. Kitties seem happy with it too.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The honeycomb mat works very well for us. I am reluctant to try and "food" litter like tofu because we live in Florida. Bug haven. I used World's Best years ago - probably 20 years - it was new on the market. Used it for a few years and was very happy with it. Until we got pantry moths from it. Yuck. Big big yuck, seeing all the little creepy crawlies in the litter box and the surrounding area. Took years to get rid of them. I use a mix of Dr. Elsey's ultra unscented (pretty good about tracking but doesn't seem to make nice tight clumps with pee) and Dr. Elsey's respiratory relief (good at clumping). Not too bad on dust - I totally change the box every month. I vacuum the litter box area each day. Buddy has very long toes and the litter seems to stick in them better/longer. Ugh! Never had this issue with other kitties we had in the past - dainty little girl kitties with little paws. No issues at all. I used Tidy Cats unscented lightweight with our kitty before Buddy with no tracking issues or dust issues.

LokiLamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Fort Lauderdale. I totally get it. Moldy bread anyone? Personally, I can’t deal with the ones requiring a hammer and chisel once they have cemented to the bottom of the pan. I wish you well in your journey.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use cats pride and I use high sided boxes so they need to jump out. I put mats around it. Litter isn’t tracked further than the mats most of the time

Attachments

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a similar kind of "honeycomb" mat with an upper flap that lifts up. They definitely help.

I personally don't pour the litter back in, but mine has a flap that completely lifts up (vs. the "envelope" style of mat pictured in the above link). I lift up the upper layer, and vacuum the spilled litter from underneath.
Those are great til the cat pukes on it 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I grew up in Fort Lauderdale. I totally get it. Moldy bread anyone? Personally, I can’t deal with the ones requiring a hammer and chisel once they have cemented to the bottom of the pan. I wish you well in your journey.
It's really humid here and I found the tofu litter VERY stick-to-the-bin! 🤪 It's wild how things are in different climates. It was the most low dust I ever had for a clumping litter though.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat develop asthma and I switched to the non-clumping crystal litter. I was leery of the non-clumping, but it actually lasts a longer than I thought. I scoop out the poop obviously. I just dump the whole thing and wash out the litter box when I think it needs it. I really need to figure out if it’s a lot more expensive than the regular. I pay just paid $26 for a bag at PetSmart. I don’t really have a choice because of my cat with asthma.
If you are interested in experimenting with other litters, my cat with asthma did well with World's Best. I don't know if that would work for your kitty's particular sensitivity level, of course. Navigating asthma with a cat is difficult, I feel you! He always hated inhaler time :nono:

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh the great mystery of reducing litter tracking!

This has always been a tough one. I don't have any specific litter recommendations, but I've found that tweaking the boxes themselves can have a big impact. I swapped out one of the standard boxes with a top entry which has helped noticeably to reduce tracking. Since my cats were mostly jumping over the litter mats upon exit of all the boxes, I moved them from next to the litter boxes to the nearby doorway and it guarantees they step on it on the way out. Litter still gets pretty scattered around the non-top entry boxes, but it doesn't go any further than the doorway. With the box in the bedroom I face the entry toward the wall in a corner, but with a spacious path in front. It keeps the tracked litter just a little bit more contained having them walk "around the back" like that.

I don't know how much you've experimenting with this type of thing, but if not but perhaps you can get a little creative and it might help that extra bit. In addition to finding a great low tracking litter of course!

I've always wanted a very high sided but open top litter box with a front "waiting room" for a litter mat to go, and then a second chamber for the litter, so the path to and from the box would be a little more controlled and contained. I don't have the room for something that big but that's the daydream :musicnote::winkcat: