low shed carpet scratcher/towers possible?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats seem to prefer the feel of carpet than sisal when it comes to scratching. I have 2 towers with mostly that material but they shed very easily. Is it possible to get something like carpet texture without such easy shed? Or is that just an issue with all carpet textured scratchers?

One of the towers is 2 years old and the popular scratch areas are down to strings (long white strands after the carpet fibers have mostly come off). I don't mind vacuuming up the dropped fibers but I wish it could last longer!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe investing in something with a solid wood base under the carpet would help it last longer, though ymmv depending on how much your cats scratch. Here are a few options to consider, though there are definitely more out there :>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJGTQ4C/?tag=thecatsite
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D229BMN/?tag=thecatsite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe investing in something with a solid wood base under the carpet would help it last longer, though ymmv depending on how much your cats scratch. Here are a few options to consider, though there are definitely more out there :>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJGTQ4C/?tag=thecatsite
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D229BMN/?tag=thecatsite
The 2nd one is the one I own! Hahaha... but yea after 2 years most of the carpet covered poles have the shreds hanging with most of the fibers gone. The sisal part is almost like new still!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, I gotcha. I imagine that you cant get something that handles wear and tear much better, unless the carpet is significantly different, at which point your cats might not enjoy the texture anymore.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually. This specific model is an extremely expensive option, so would have to look around for something priced more reasonably, but this tree has replaceable carpet scratch pads Milo

heres a less Insanely expensive version of the same concept, if a lot simpler Acacia
And here’s a site that makes modular condos with I believe replaceable carpet parts similar to the first tree, but more reasonably priced Sleek, modern, modular cat furniture that's made to last.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually. This specific model is an extremely expensive option, so would have to look around for something priced more reasonably, but this tree has replaceable carpet scratch pads Milo

heres a less Insanely expensive version of the same concept, if a lot simpler Acacia
And here’s a site that makes modular condos with I believe replaceable carpet parts similar to the first tree, but more reasonably priced Sleek, modern, modular cat furniture that's made to last.
Thank you for the options!! I've seen them before however I have 2 male cats who play chase and jump vigorously onto the cat tower, so I worry if it will be as sturdy as the solid wood one I have. I will keep them bookmarked though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Would a low-pile indoor/outdoor type of carpet work better? I have a cat with regular carpet and am constantly sweeping up bits of the carpet fiber. I also have a low-pile area rug that the cats have been scratching for years without any visible damage.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
As a thought, to add onto what GoldyCat GoldyCat said. Would getting one of those modern wooden shelf-type trees (or even an IKEA set of shelves or cabinet) and DIYing some low-pile carpet onto it (assuming your kitties like scratching them as much) be viable for you? If they like horizontal scratching, should be simple to get it on there, reversibly, with some Velcro adhesive.

here are some cat trees that look similar to what I had in mind :> they also look to be more stable than the ones I previously linked, especially the first one.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats seem to prefer the feel of carpet than sisal when it comes to scratching. I have 2 towers with mostly that material but they shed very easily. Is it possible to get something like carpet texture without such easy shed? Or is that just an issue with all carpet textured scratchers?

One of the towers is 2 years old and the popular scratch areas are down to strings (long white strands after the carpet fibers have mostly come off). I don't mind vacuuming up the dropped fibers but I wish it could last longer!
C&C Cat Furniture if your a so cal resident this place recarpets cat trees might be places in your state or near here you live if you search online

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a thought, to add onto what GoldyCat GoldyCat said. Would getting one of those modern wooden shelf-type trees (or even an IKEA set of shelves or cabinet) and DIYing some low-pile carpet onto it (assuming your kitties like scratching them as much) be viable for you? If they like horizontal scratching, should be simple to get it on there, reversibly, with some Velcro adhesive.

here are some cat trees that look similar to what I had in mind :> they also look to be more stable than the ones I previously linked, especially the first one.

Thank you! I actually plan to get a similar shelf as the first link to use as a tall area for the cats plus my own storage in my office where there isn't much room for a traditional cat tree! The shelf I'm gonna get is tall and I won't be getting much use out of the taller shelves. I'll look for some low pile carpet or mat for it!

C&C Cat Furniture if your a so cal resident this place recarpets cat trees might be places in your state or near here you live if you search online
amazing! I don't live there sadly but I didn't know this was a thing people did! I'll look into it for my area

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I actually plan to get a similar shelf as the first link to use as a tall area for the cats plus my own storage in my office where there isn't much room for a traditional cat tree! The shelf I'm gonna get is tall and I won't be getting much use out of the taller shelves. I'll look for some low pile carpet or mat for it!

amazing! I don't live there sadly but I didn't know this was a thing people did! I'll look into it for my area
maybe you can get to a wooded area or beach and kinda chop a big tree down or find a big chunk of driftwood and section it off and turn it into a nice cat tree :lol: