Low priority: Any advice for a newbie, flying solo, with Sub-qs?

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story short: I suck.

I finally made the leap and stuck the cat at the vet's office with the guidance of my favorite tech (the needle insertion was my big fear). All went swimmingly at the office. She's a good girl, no fussing, sits still, cooperates 100%, they don't even have to hold her down (they keep her in the base of the carrier and just take off the top - a model patient.) 5 min and we are outta there. She's a good traveler in the car too, for a cat.

Fast forward to me trying to give them at home. Flipping disaster. She fusses, won't stay still, I swear she tenses up her back muscles so I can't get a decent tent. Plus, its just me, with only two (shaking) hands, completely inexperienced.

I tried keeping her in the base of the carrier (the first time) - she bolted when I finally got the needle in and the fluid (warmed) started running. Tried a smaller needle 20G last night in a box with higher sides and the bag raised higher, thinking that would make the fluid flow faster. Between the exposed needle, the fussing, wiggling, crying, suddenly a muscular bodybuiler of a cat with no spare skin, my frazzled nerves... I finally gave up. Didn't even get the needle into her.

Any tips for a "just me" total nervous newbie? There is no one to ask to help me, so that's not an option. I know she was milking my insecurity and desire not to hurt her (hence the crying every time the needle got even close to her body - and with that tiny tent door she gave me... I wasn't secure enough in my technique).

The lovely TCS members have been giving me some great tips, which I'm still trying. Even though we are doing the vets tonight, I'm not totally giving up just yet. Well, tonight I am because she needs them and I'm failing.

So... any advice would be welcome. She's only a 7.5 lb cat, but very slippery and agile when it comes to escaping unwelcome situaitons.

Maybe the first time I actually got it in, it was between the layers of skin and it hurt her?

Halp. Thanks again :)

-- Wendy

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Dont worry Wendy - you will get there.

It will be trial and error at first as you figure it out, and as your cat figures it out. Your both on a steep learning curve.

And you know what, if you suck, then Im happy your cat has you, because even on your worst days, even if you think it was a disaster, you are doing something for your cat that most would never do. I know because it's a daily observation for me.

My first recc is to try my "60 second shebang" technique as shown in the video. Except for you, begin with half the amount (1 syringe). Start small. If you can get it 30 to 60 ml (which you can do in 30 seconds or less), do you know how awesome that is? That is hugely successful.

For some cats, speed = acceptance. By speed i dont mean panicked or rushed. I mean the technique is appropriate for your kitty.

From there, im moving onto other techniques as described in that video.

Dont stress. You'll get there!

k

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words and confidence :)

I'll have to rewatch the "shebang" method part of the video again and gather the supplies. I was considering taking her to an unfamiliar environment, or somewhere like my car, where she will feel less likely to bolt and thrown a little off her game (that sounds so mean, not meant that way).

I'm assuming your website not only has the video featured on the TCS site, but more pertinent info as well?

Thanks!

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
If you try the car, definitely let me know if it works. I have not tried that before!

k

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

If you try the car, definitely let me know if it works. I have not tried that before!

k
I certainly will, and as an added bonus I could put the bag of fluids on the dash while I get everything ready and the sun could warm them and I could hang the bag from the dry cleaning hook...

(Multi-tasking!)